SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dryer from Lowe’s Caused a Electrical Fire Last Night. Update: Page 5
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dryer from Lowe’s Caused a Electrical Fire Last Night. Update: Page 5 Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
Had a new Whirlpool Cabrio clothes Dryer delivery from Lowe’s yesterday. The delivery guys set it up in the laundry room along with a new washer. (They delivered the wrong washer and dryer the previous week btw)

When my wife came home, she went to give it a try, but an F4 error code kept popping up. I googled it and it appeared that it’s a voltage issue. I assumed it was the wiring in our house that was the problem, but didn’t really explore further since I had other things on my mind and would save this issue for the next day.

So fast forward to 11pm last night, I’m laying in bed and can’t sleep, I go down stairs and decide to give the dryer a try myself to see what’s wrong. I push the ON button and a blinding flash goes off and now there’s an electrical fire behind the dryer.

Taken by surprise, I scream “HOLY SHIT”! Thank God that I had the presence of mind to remember that there was a fire extinguisher in the cabinet above the dryer that I grabbed to put it out. (My dad who passed away in May actually put it there when we moved in this house 2 years ago. Thanks dad)

I put out the fire and yank the cord without touching the dryer. Wife is now up from all the noise. Very scary incident that goes to show that like a gun, a fire extinguisher is something that you don’t appreciate till you really need it.

Again, I figure this is due to wiring in our house being fucked up somehow. We had our electrician come by today and he said he’s never seen anything like it. The dryer vent tubing was all blown apart and the back of the washer was blacked from the electrical fire. He tested the outlets which were fine. He then removed the back plate of the dryer and discovered that the (forgive me if I mess the part up) “hot” wire was connected to the ground which is what caused the fire. He said we were very lucky because there’s several ways we could have been seriously harmed.

The way I understand what happened is that Lowe’s screwed up the plug wiring. When the dryer was delivered, the guys never function tested it. When I pushed the ON button for the dryer, the current went down through the vent tube, which was in contact with the metal on the washer, completing a circuit and starting a fire. Thank God that extinguisher was there and that it was me there and not my wife or mom using the washer (they sure as hell wouldn’t have known about that extinguisher).

So anyway, it’s good to have a fire extinguisher. The damage is minimal, some smoke, and ash in the laundry room. Things could have been MUCH worse.

What’s your opinion about how I should handle this with Lowe’s?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RAMIUS,

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your electrician should have left it alone or at the very least you should have taken pictures of how it was wired.

I would call your Lowe's store, speak to the store manager, tell them what happened, make them replace the dryer with a new one and if your washer got effected from the fire, replace that too, and pay for your electricians expense...…..

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I have photos and the electrician is writing up a report. We haven’t touched or altered the wiring.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Written report from electrician as to their finding. Make a list of what you want Lowes to do.
Schedule a meeting with head of service dept. and store manager.

Posts: 1198 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Damn lucky, buddy. Glad all are alright. And, thanks to your Dad.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3768 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Electrician should have also replaced the breaker. Something doesn't pass the smell test here. A dead short which is what you are describing should have instantly tripped breaker.

Do you have pictures?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20845 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure why the breaker didn’t trip. The electrician explained it, but I’m not going to attempt to try and write it.

I admit, I’m an idiot when it comes to all things electrical.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
... “hot” wire was connected to the ground which is what caused the fire.

That's almost too incredible to believe. I mean seriously, what kind of a moron...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30435 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I have photos, I’ll try and post them tomorrow.

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Glad nobody got hurt.

Wondering what happened at the end of the install.

Most installers would have gotten it running before they left. Most of the time I've had appliances installed, not only do they do that, the installers want me to sign that the job was completed acceptably before they go.

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised the delivery guys were allowed to set it up. Generally a dryer, whether electric or gas, will be left along with the gas line or electrical plug for you to have a qualified installer install. IOW, they recognized after some fires like yours the guys on the truck weren't that.

Was the install part of the purchase, or did you work a side deal with the delivery guys?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12449 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
The install was part of the purchase from Lowe’s.

posted Hide Post
I'm confused by what you did differently than your wife?

You said

"When my wife came home, she went to give it a try, but an F4 error code kept popping up. I googled it and it appeared that it’s a voltage issue"

Then

" I go down stairs and decide to give the dryer a try myself to see what’s wrong. I push the ON button"

Was she not pushing the "on" button?

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
... “hot” wire was connected to the ground which is what caused the fire.

That's almost too incredible to believe. I mean seriously, what kind of a moron...

Yep. The hot was connected the ground and the ground was connected to the hot.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
So which new gun are you going to buy with the settlement munny?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:

You said

"When my wife came home, she went to give it a try, but an F4 error code kept popping up. I googled it and it appeared that it’s a voltage issue"

Then

" I go down stairs and decide to give the dryer a try myself to see what’s wrong. I push the ON button"

No idea. When she did it, the F4 thing came up. The only thing I can think of is that when I pushed the dryer back a bit further to the wall, the vent tube contacted the washer. When she did it, it wasn’t touching the washer.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You said

Then

No idea. When she did it, the F4 thing came up. The only thing I can think of is that when I pushed the dryer back a bit further to the wall, the vent tube contacted the washer. When she did it, it wasn’t touching the washer.

As someone who diagnoses problems such as this for a living. None of this adds up. Looking forward to pics any any extra details you can remember.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20845 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Glad nobody got hurt.

Wondering what happened at the end of the install.

Most installers would have gotten it running before they left. Most of the time I've had appliances installed, not only do they do that, the installers want me to sign that the job was completed acceptably before they go.

The delivery took about 10 minutes. The guys came removed the incorrect dryer, replaced it with this faulty one, I signed the paper, and they left.

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
quote:

You said

Then

As someone who diagnoses problems such as this for a living. None of this adds up. Looking forward to pics any any extra details you can remember.

Well, the electrician did say he’s never seen anything like this before. The weirdest thing is where/how the vent tube blew up/caught fire. Which is where it was touching the washer.

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
So which new gun are you going to buy with the settlement munny?

Ha! If only there was more damage! Maybe we’ll get a free washer and dryer out of it or something.