SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weird light bulb problem / question.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird light bulb problem / question. Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:

Using the same dimmer for the kitchen that works in the rest of the house, or a different model of dimmer in the kitchen?

Yes, same dimmer in the kitchen as the rest of the house. That was another part of this project, I went through and replaced all of them because they were all mis-matched. Being new, they are optimized for use with LED bulbs.

Posts: 2292 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Floodlights are a bit unique. I have a floodlight on one corner of the house to illuminate the exterior door of the garage and the area in front of the garage. When I bought the house the bulbs were tungsten filament and 2 spares came with the house.

Once all three bulbs were used up I decided to try LED floodlight bulbs. The did not work. The reason they did not word was the base of the led bulb was shaped so that the bulb interfered with the socket and would not allow the bulb to be screwed in deeply enough to make a connection to the center contact. The solution was to take one of the new LED bulbs to Home Depot and use that to find a socket that would permit a complete connection.

As Forest Gump would say Stupid is ans Stupid does. Obviously some new "Engineering" graduate didn't think that designing a bulb to properly fit a standard socket with probably near a 100 year old design wasn't important.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since the dimmers are all identical, it’s got to be bulb/fixture dimensional mismatch. As others said, most likely the bulb center contact isn’t touching the fixture contact. Sometimes you can raise the fixture center contact a fraction of an inch with a pair of pliers if it’s only held at one end and that’s enough to make contact, but if not a different bulb will be needed (or a different fixture but that’s a bigger PITA).

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I may be late to the party but we have been using something like this in new construction.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088...product_details&th=1

These have the added benefit of sealing the housing against the drywall preventing air movement. This is particularly important if your ceiling is part of the attic.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6319 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post