SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who's been accused of Mansplaining
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's been accused of Mansplaining Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted
frayedends thread got me thinking of man women interactions these days.

My recent experience; I was at my married daughter's house, chatting with my SIL in the garage talking about battery chargers. My daughter was wandering around and overheard our conversation and asked what was voltage. My SIL and I both looked at each other and he said with a wink, "go for it" Knowing she knew absolutely nothing about electric principles, I tried to explain using the water hose analogy. I thought I did a good job, but got accused of mansplaining. She did smile when she said it and she followed by that was more "than I cared to know"

It's a fine line.

Who's been confronted with this recent phenomena?

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
“Mansplaining” is just another word for women to use when they feel butthurt having someone EXPLAIN something they didn’t know, and for some reason, are embarrassed about it. That said, I can say I haven’t in all seriousness had that accusation levied against me.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15616 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right up there with “it’s not what you said it’s how you said it”.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least weekly by my wife. Followed with blah bla blah. Didn’t need to know that much

A few years ago I had a female client complain to my boss I used too much jargon and it was confusing to her. I do mortgages. There’s not much jargon involved.

Posts: 4782 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Right up there with “it’s not what you said it’s how you said it”.

And let's not forget the ever popular "that's not what you really meant."

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I answered a question (via e-mail) from a user in Italy about some of the software I wrote and supported, and she reported me to HR for gender abuse, saying that I'd denigrated her intelligence and ability. All I'd done was to supply a complete explanation of the software package and its interactions, something I'd always done with others who'd had questions. Although I'd done nothing wrong (the ladies in my office were ready to rip her eyes out) I was required to submit an apology to the female. (I actually didn't even know that the questioner was female until she complained -- she had an ambiguous name.) I did it, even though I didn't think I should have had to, and then told my supervisor that I would not hve any communications with that person again -- any further questions would have to be handled by someone else in the office.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Being thin-skinned is a core value of the woke.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1566 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad taught vocational high school auto mechanics and would not let me or my sister drive a car until we knew basic maintenance. I’ve known more about cars than a big percent of the guys I dated. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been man-splained to, or outright lied to or someone tried to take advantage of me about repairs because they assume my pretty little head knows nothing…

Posts: 402 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
We have mansplaining. They have resting bitch face. I’m good with ours

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
We have mansplaining. They have resting bitch face. I’m good with ours

I don't know what that is... but you still made me LoL. Wink

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
resting bitch face

Pretty sure this is a milder form of the look you have when you smell sour milk.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Crouching Tiger, Resting Bitch Face.

and no, to answer the question, I know what mansplaining is but I have not been accused of it... yet.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, that’s me for sure.
My wife constantly asks questions that I try to answer as simply as possible, to which her default reply is that my answer is incorrect…. So then I go into deeper detail and she says “ ok ok you don’t need to mansplain it, I believe you”

She also refers to me as a vessel of useless knowledge, and Mr Encyclopedia

Posts: 3550 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MelissaDallas:
My dad taught vocational high school auto mechanics and would not let me or my sister drive a car until we knew basic maintenance. I’ve known more about cars than a big percent of the guys I dated. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been man-splained to, or outright lied to or someone tried to take advantage of me about repairs because they assume my pretty little head knows nothing…

Car dealer lost a sale when he told my wife "Why don't you come back with your husband little lady?" She's a CPA with her own practice. Not sure what pissed her off more - little lady or husband lol

Posts: 776 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I used to get this all the time from my ex-roommate. She'd ask me about something, I'd get a third of the way through an explanation and she'd interrupt with "Never mind, I don't really want to know." "So why did you ask?" <huffs and walks away>

Posts: 7273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tn226:

Car dealer lost a sale when he told my wife "Why don't you come back with your husband little lady?" She's a CPA with her own practice. Not sure what pissed her off more - little lady or husband lol

Grady the Badger?

Posts: 2469 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I heard one of our owners say “I don’t understand exactly how it works, but let me explain it to you!”
That’s taking it to a whole new level.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12439 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
This stupid word ranks right up there with social media "influencer" as among the most despised words to me. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26460 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
It’s how you respond to someone who accuses you of manspreading.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2389 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
My wife is an Electrical Engineer. She wouldn't even blink on a question about voltage, amperage, or any other question re. electronics. LOL

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post