SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Career advice needed
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Career advice needed Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Look into local hospitals. Edit: also local schools and colleges. Maintenance and operations sounds like they could be a fit.
A headhunter is also a good suggestion. And, believe it or not, the local unemployment office has resources for resume review/editing/writing. They can also show you lists of jobs that are open that you might not know about. It's not just for people out of a job.

Luck,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4248 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy:
I can't even do that, I have been without a supervisor for 5 months. He is finally starting next week but will need time before he's capable of handling things on his own.

I've had to start taking blood pressure meds, which I didn't want to do but gave up when I read 161/120 after a particularly nasty day.

I refuse to die for this place.
I was in your shoes a few years ago. I walked away from it. Helped in the transition, but moved careers altogether. No more BP meds!

It would take a LOT for me to go back to aviation or anything management in aviation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13986 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Have you considered ruining one of your hobbies by turning it into a business? Another transition I've seen is to find a way to do what you do extremely part-time. I'm not sure if that is possible for you or not. A couple of former co-workers took some overseas contracts for what we did, and in 2 years of pretty much constant absence...have retired nicely now with paid off homes.

Teaching seems like a possibility for you. Check into the local technical training centers/colleges. Perhaps start a business? Is there a certification you can teach? I trained A&P's for a while part-time and one on one. I kept finding myself just donating my time because the veterans couldn't really afford to pay me. I was glad to see it drop off, but I'd probably do it again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13986 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
In today's world, leaving something off your resume often doesn't accomplish much.

In many cases the details and full versions of resumes have been online for years, and are trivial to find for anyone looking. Plus, all of the big recruiting companies usually keep their own copies of whatever you've posted and submitted previously.

Being considered over qualified is a big problem with no easy solution.

I suggest trying to find a way to work for yourself.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I totally understand why you're unhappy and agree with the others who support your decision to change jobs. I chased the corporate rabbit for 23 years with Fortune 100 Companies. Almost all of my stress came from those who were above me in the organization hierarchy. I changed industries in 2002 and then stayed in the industry but became self-employed in 2004.

The learning curve for the new industry was very steep. My income dropped from $125k to $24k the first year. After nearly three years I resigned and started my own firm. Since that time I've had stress but it was mostly self imposed.

I've never been happier or wealthier than I am now but I'm at the top of a mountain it took five hard years of self-employment to climb.

It doesn't sound like your skill sets are specific to a particular industry and it sounds like your accomplishments would set you apart from others who are competing for a job you might be interested in.

In my experience, Things work out.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 710 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I am on the hunt for help. Do you have people skills? Good money, easy work with the right mind set. In Loganville

I'd say so, I have 34 direct reports, deal with 200 production employees, 10 management team members and probably 50 vendors and I haven't heard that I'm an asshole yet!

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I have thought about getting into the record business, but I can't believe the rent people charge for a small retailer.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in Maint. and when I retired, I taught at a local Adult ed career center and also at a Community College. I taught Industrial Electrical courses as well As PLC courses. It paid well and I could pick and choose my courses to teach. I also did custom courses for local industry, thru the two places.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I did give my card to a local tech college who said they needed adjunct professors occasionally, hopefully that will pan out.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
If your degree is not related to your work, leave it off your resume.

That's really BS. I see people in well paid jobs with degrees in history or some such "non-job related degrees."

A degree is something you earn is is often a checkbox at least for consideration.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20021 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I just applied as an adjunct for industrial maintenance technology at a local school.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have thought about getting into the record business, but I can't believe the rent people charge for a small retailer.

I've had an ownership part in two retail record stores in two different states, and was the buyer at another one. It can work, but rarely does, and tons ends up tied up in inventory, and most of the big distributors I used to deal with (like Watts) don't even exist anymore.

I'd skip it or save it for a retirement / hobby gig where the bottom line matters less, more about the passion and all. And I'm sure there are pockets were it's different, but...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
It's pretty big here and vinyl is hot right now, but the margins are slim and you need to sell hundreds a day.

I just did a record show and cleared $230 for the day, decent hobby number but horrible if it was a business designed to provide for the family, unless you could pull that everyday which isn't feasible.

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I am on the hunt for help. Do you have people skills? Good money, easy work with the right mind set. In Loganville

I'd say so, I have 34 direct reports, deal with 200 production employees, 10 management team members and probably 50 vendors and I haven't heard that I'm an asshole yet!

I'll send you an email with a description of what I do. I need a partner, you would be my Jesse Pinkman, but I wouldn't kill your girlfriend Smile or anybody else

Posts: 5536 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
If your degree is not related to your work, leave it off your resume.

That's really BS. I see people in well paid jobs with degrees in history or some such "non-job related degrees."

A degree is something you earn is is often a checkbox at least for consideration.

The OP expressed concern that his Master's Degree in Teaching might be scaring off companies wanting to hire someone in industrial maintenance. Pretty sure he understood my comment about 'leave it off your resume' referred to that degree. It's fairly common for people with Master's or higher degrees in completely unrelated areas to leave them off a resume so as to not "scare off" a hiring manager.

Anyway, I don't disagree that an initial college degree (Associate or Bachelor) should be left on a resume regardless of the major, as you're correct, it can be a checkbox of sorts.

It's a crapshoot as to whether a hiring manager would consider a Master's Degree in an unrelated field a positive or a negative, but it appears the OP thinks it has been a negative for him.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Bill, in your spare time, I'd love to read a book about life on a nuclear sub!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39229 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:

The OP expressed concern that his Master's Degree in Teaching might be scaring off companies wanting to hire someone in industrial maintenance. Pretty sure he understood my comment about 'leave it off your resume' referred to that degree. It's fairly common for people with Master's or higher degrees in completely unrelated areas to leave them off a resume so as to not "scare off" a hiring manager.

Anyway, I don't disagree that an initial college degree (Associate or Bachelor) should be left on a resume regardless of the major, as you're correct, it can be a checkbox of sorts.

It's a crapshoot as to whether a hiring manager would consider a Master's Degree in an unrelated field a positive or a negative, but it appears the OP thinks it has been a negative for him.

I'm not really arguing with you but just having a related conversation to the OP.

The OP has a masters in teaching and has direct reports and is in management. Do you think knowing how to break down complex topics into simplified blocks and being able to pass that on to other people would be a hindrance in most positions that he would be looking for?

I would agree that if you have a masters, physically well, and able-bodied and you want a job as a Walmart greeter without any plausible story as to why you would want that job, then you might want to leave that off.

But having a masters especially in teaching that's translatable to many fields isn't really a hindrance.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20021 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Bill, in your spare time, I'd love to read a book about life on a nuclear sub!

Here's the short story: whether blue or gold crew, 120 men leave port on a sub cruice but 60 couples come back.

(old surface navy joke)

I was always jealous subs always got the best food award. But I didn't envy them when I started woking on them and saw how tight the spaces were.

Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I was on a carrier

Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Here I am at 1am on the last night my daughter is out of town, wanting to spend a quiet night with my wife and I am at work trying to fix something we don't have parts for and trying to recover from an engineers wasted 3 hours getting the machine even more out of alignment.