SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Smoker Recipes Needed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoker Recipes Needed Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
Alright... So the wife bought me a 30" Electric MasterBuilt Smoker for my B-Day.

So do me a favor guys. Hit me with your favorite:

• Rubs
  • Meat & Wood Combos
  • General must have smoker recipes

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8853 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
This is a good place to start.

https://www.smoking-meat.com/

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easy peasy for your first cook. Take a pork loin roast and marinate it in Lowry's Hawaiian overnight. Throw some pineapple and peppers into the marinate. Cook meat to 165 degrees at 225 degrees. About three hours. Remove from smoker and let rest for 10 minutes. Throw the meat into your favorite hoagie bun. I'm sure others will chime in with much better things to smoke but this is what got me addicted to smoking (meat).

Posts: 7557 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Jim
Agree that Smoking Meat is good

However, IMO amazingribs.com is much better. Three main reasons:
  • they have a meat scientist on staff and they’ve debunked many BBQ myths.
  • their recipe testing is more rigorous as a trained chef creates, tweaks, and then has other trained chefs test.
  • their rub recipes are free. I’ve purchased the Smoking Meat recipes, but no longer make them as my guests (Texas BBQ aficionados) and I prefer AmazingRibs’ free recipes.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    YouTube is a fantastic place to learn theory and techniques.

Pretty hard to get better advice than from these two:
  • Grand Champion Pitmaster Harry Soo

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzWWpvJEpck

• Aaron Franklin the owner of Franklin BBQ which is one of the top BBQ joints on the planet. In 2015, he received the prestigious James Beard Foundation Award for Best Chef in the Southwest.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by myrottiety:
    So do me a favor guys. Hit me with your favorite:

• Meat & Wood Combos
    We had a really good meat and wood thread in December. Myself and others shared their wisdom. Based on that thread, I’m going to give pecan a try once I run out of hickory

The Unmanned Writer
    Picture of LS1 GTO
    posted Hide Post
    Just like cruising on a Saturday night - low-n-slow, low-n-slow. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Crusty old
    curmudgeon
    Picture of Jimbo54
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    quote:

Jim

• their recipe testing is more rigorous as a trained chef creates, tweaks, and then has other trained chefs test.
  • their rub recipes are free. I’ve purchased the Smoking Meat recipes, but no longer make them as my guests (Texas BBQ aficionados) and I prefer AmazingRibs’ free recipes.

• He got an electric smoker not a grill. That's why I picked that site. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes Is great for BBQ.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    Like what Tatortodd says > amazingribs.com is a great site.
    I use the Bad Ass Beef Rub on all my Brisket cooks and Meatheads Memphis Dust for Ribs.
    I use their site all the time and even a member there but you can get a lot of good info there on the free site too.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I've been smoking for over 10 years now. I've tried ribs every which way, I did them 6 different ways 1 time to see which rub, etc. I liked. I also have done many pork butts, a chuck roast, chicken, fish etc.

Ribs, I always use hickory with them, I've gotten to where I don't like any rub at all on them, just a little salt or a light coating of Emerils rib rub.....I find the rub overpowers the rib taste......I do the 3-2-1 method......3 hours on the smoker at 225F, wrap in aluminum foil for 2 hours (back on the smoker at 225F), take them out of the aluminum foil and back on the smoker with some bbq sauce for an hour.

Pork butt- 225F I like Hickory also, coat with olive oil and a generous amount of Weber garlic and herb seasoning, smoke for 5-6 hours on the grill, take off put in a deep aluminum throw away baking pan with 1" of apple cider and cover with aluminum foil and put back on the smoker for a total of 11-12 hours for sliced pork (when it reaches temp) or 14-16 hours for pulled pork......pulled pork I mix a 16 ounce bottle of mustard based bbq sauce in with 2 pork butts.....which gives it a little flavor but it's light and people can always add more.

Beercan chicken (Pecan or hickory), 350 F, olive oil on outside and a very thick coating of McCormick Montreal Chicken seasoning on the outside, some under the skin, some in the cavity and beer can (2/3 full and room temp before sticking in the bird)……. cook 1;45-2 HOURS to reach 165F internal.

I love Hickory for Pork, but Pecan is very nice with chicken or beef. I've never done brisket. Fish I put on aluminum foil and it only needs to go about an hour at 225F for a normal Mahi filet that's 1/2-3/4" thick.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I agree with the aforementioned amazingribs.com. Here are a couple more good sites.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/cmps_index.php

https://howtobbqright.com/

Oh and just FYI this is another hobby that is likely to cost you $$$ just like firearms. Big Grin

Posts: 170 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    quote:

Jim

• He got an electric smoker not a grill. That's why I picked that site. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes Is great for BBQ.

Jim
    I actually read the OP’s post so I know the OP has an electric smoker. AmazingRibs is more than half smoking and their rubs are better, their rib smoking techniques are better, their brisket smoking techniques are better, their pork shoulder smoking techniques are better, their poultry smoking techniques are better, etc.

posted Hide Post
    My absolute favorite rubs are made by Oakridge BBQ. Literally, everything Mike makes is magic. You're not paying for just gobs of salt and sugar like most rubs, but many high quality ingredients as well. He sells sample packs (cheap), but I heartily recommend Dominator for pork/chicken, Black Ops for brisket/beef ribs, Carne Crosta for doing high-temp sears on steaks/burgers. He also makes killer jerk seasoning, wild game rubs, etc. Try them all, you won't be disappointed.

If you want to dive straight into brisket, do a websearch for "Bludawg's K.I.S.S. brisket". Although brisket cooking is equal parts technique, love, and voodoo, the Bludawg method is about as close to an easy "recipe" as one can follow. ETA here it is in copy/paste

...."BluDawgs Brisket
    K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.
    1 packer 12-15 lb
    Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"
    Mix your Rub
    1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
    apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.
    Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
    place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB
    Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
    cook Brisket 4 hrs
    remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
    after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it will be within 1 hr.
    once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
    Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.

*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag."........

THE most interactive, active web forum for BBQ is bbq-brethren.com hands down, no question. Amazingribs is definitely a good resource, and has a ton of good recipes, but isn't nearly as interactive as "The Brethren". Smoking-meat is another good interactive forum, just not nearly as busy as "The Brethren".

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    McNoob
    Picture of xantom
    posted Hide Post
    Watching Aaron Franklin I have started using almost strictly coarse salt and pepper for briskets and standing rib roasts. I have a concoction I made for pulled pork:
    5/8 - Kosher Salt/Coarse Black Pepper
    1/4 - Paprika/Garlic Powder
    1/8 - Chilli Powder/Smoke House Blend

Current my ribs are coarse salt and pepper and sweet rub o mine. I got it from amazon. I am not sure what to think yet. I haven't gotten the portions down quite yet. We just did a pork belly and I will probably never buy bacon again Big Grin

Some of my smoked treat pics:

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    McNoob
    Picture of xantom
    posted Hide Post
    Check these meat/wood guides out they might help.

https://i.imgur.com/XJt2Jo5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dJ2Pr8C.jpg

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    paradox in a box
    Picture of frayedends
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bytes:
    Easy peasy for your first cook. Take a pork loin roast and marinate it in Lowry's Hawaiian overnight. Throw some pineapple and peppers into the marinate. Cook meat to 165 degrees at 225 degrees. About three hours. Remove from smoker and let rest for 10 minutes. Throw the meat into your favorite hoagie bun. I'm sure others will chime in with much better things to smoke but this is what got me addicted to smoking (meat).

Don’t use fresh pineapple in a marinade. It has an enzyme that makes meat have a weird texture. Canned I’d fine as the enzyme is easily destroyed with heat.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Crusty old
    curmudgeon
    Picture of Jimbo54
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by frayedends:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bytes:

Don’t use fresh pineapple in a marinade. It has an enzyme that makes meat have a weird texture. Canned I’d fine as the enzyme is easily destroyed with heat.

Whatever you do, don't go to Hawaii and eat BBQ because they've been using pineapple juice in their marinades for centuries. Smile

Jim

Picture of myrottiety
    posted Hide Post
    Keep the awesome info coming guys. I'm reading all this and debating what to throw on first.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8853 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Pork loins are great, one of my favorites is to brush on olive oil, coarse salt, pepper and rosemary. The loins are lean, the dont take long.

Posts: 3596 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Awaits his CUT
    of choice
    posted Hide Post
    My favorite rub is texasbbqrub.com rub. Use it on pork products. Butt and ribs. awesome.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post