SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home Security Camera Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Security Camera Question Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
I have an exterior camera setup at my home that was installed when we built the house. It is a 4 camera setup that is analog using BNC connectors. I wanted to upgrade the cameras to better technology. The security company is recommending HDA (High Def Analog) cameras with 2.1MP resolution (1920x1080). I assume this is to take advantage of the existing analog wiring.

Is this my best bet? I know that the state of the art is much more advanced than 2.1 MP HDA, but is rewiring difficult enough that I should take the easy route and got with the HDA cameras?

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Depends on what resolution is good enough for you IMO. I had analog cameras and I chose to re-wire for ethernet (power over ethernet) cameras to get higher quality video. I am running 4MP and 6MP Hikevision cameras. I can clearly read license plates in my driveway.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
CCTV analog systems are not all universally compatible with each other.
Some systems may even require an upgraded DVR, however some allow for other cameras.
If only the cam switch out is need then listen to your Pro Installer.
As far as the "resolution" a much misinterpreted specification I can say as a general statement that 2MP is quite adequate.
There are plenty of other redeeming properties that could be beneficial too that may make even a better impact on picture quality.
These may or may not be available for your system.
Not going to debate the IP cam vs analog CCTV here as I am squarely in the IP camp but you have to be practical when you already have a system in place.
Good Luck and listen to your Security guy or at least take in the info but don't get overly hyped on a "resoluton only" specification.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
CCTV analog systems are not all universally compatible with each other.
Some systems may even require an upgraded DVR, however some allow for other cameras.
If only the cam switch out is need then listen to your Pro Installer.
As far as the "resolution" a much misinterpreted specification I can say as a general statement that 2MP is quite adequate.
There are plenty of other redeeming properties that could be beneficial too that may make even a better impact on picture quality.
These may or may not be available for your system.
Not going to debate the IP cam vs analog CCTV here as I am squarely in the IP camp but you have to be practical when you already have a system in place.
Good Luck and listen to your Security guy or at least take in the info but don't get overly hyped on a "resoluton only" specification.
Good info here, but I'd also recommend getting a second (maybe third) quote/opinion and compare them. Pro installers have different levels of experience and ideas, and sometime talking with a few of them will offer you much more perspective.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The system needs to be sized for the usage. You would need to know the effective pixel resolution at the distance you need. This is a function of the resolution of the camera, the lens power and opening (lens length and F/stop). The wider the lens opening, the narrower the area in focus. For a narrower opening, you may need additional light.

Take a look at footage from some systems on the news. The resolution is sometimes not enough to confirm the identity of a suspect.

Make sure to check with a couple of vendors. See which one asks where you need to have coverage, and can approach with a good solution.

Posts: 2772 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Running the wires is the biggest hurdle and that is probably the reason.... I upgraded to the low end HD a few years back with a new system that used the same wires..... when I got ready to install the new cameras I discovered their connection wires were a foot shorter.... had to move the location of most of the cameras just a bit... I have an 8 camera system.... 2 inside and 6 out.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
The system needs to be sized for the usage. You would need to know the effective pixel resolution at the distance you need. This is a function of the resolution of the camera, the lens power and opening (lens length and F/stop). The wider the lens opening, the narrower the area in focus. For a narrower opening, you may need additional light.

Take a look at footage from some systems on the news. The resolution is sometimes not enough to confirm the identity of a suspect.

Make sure to check with a couple of vendors. See which one asks where you need to have coverage, and can approach with a good solution.

I think what you are trying to say is basically correct.

Basically, the FOV (field of vison) directly affects the required pixel count (resolution definition).
This is true.
Simple explanation you will loose pixel count the farther you are from the scene.
So if you want to see a "wider picture" then the downfield pixel count (again resolution def for some) will suffer.
Cameras with a narrower FOV will have more definition within this range.
Additionally, other factors include amount light the "scene" has and as well as the amount of activity or motion affect the quality of the picture.
Not just "resolution" and why light levels are so important.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post