Member
| Two different pros did this on my fences.
There is a lot of moisture in the ground to add to the water dumped in.
first fence was done 2021 and the second was done two weeks ago.
Both have not moved. |
| | |
Leftists, what more needs to be said?
| It should be just fine. I helped my friend replace his dad’s fence a year out of HS. We didn’t use concrete at all we just used pea gravel. When I asked his dad if that was strong enough he said the one you just helped me take down was 25 years old and all pea gravel.
I did my fence 25 years ago with concrete but that’s only because I delivered concrete for a living and the boss let me take the truck with leftovers home to set my posts. If I ever have to set posts again it will probably just be pea gravel. |
| | |
Member

| Maybe overkill, but after multiple posts rotted at the base, I now put some mix in the hole first, then the post on top of that, then fill the rest of the hole, adding mix then water but by bit until the hole is full, trying not to get it too soupy.
The Enemy's gate is down. |
| | |
Optimistic Cynic

| I have found that not using concrete at all, just crusher run or other packable aggregate provides superior drainage and longer post life. Treated fence posts will last even when anchored with concrete, but untreated ones will rot far more quickly because the concrete tends to concentrate ground water around the post. Using concrete also makes the post much harder to replace when that becomes necessary as well as better maintaing plumb throughout its life. A concrete ball on the bottom of the post seems to act like a ball bearing in the soil and any frost heaving or other displacement shifts the post crookedly.
This is based on more than a decade of commercial fence installation. It wasn't unusual for a customer to insist on a concrete "footing." In those instances, dry packing did a better job of it than using a mix. One thing that even professionals often get wrong is using too much water in the mix. In truth, with ground water present, this is not easy to get right.
If you have to use wet concrete, use a very dry mix with lots of coarse aggregate and just a little cement. |
| | |
As Extraordinary as Everyone Else

| Although the OP’s question is just pertaining to a fence post putting any structural post in the ground requires concrete, gravel won’t pass code. The concrete should completely encompass the post including the bottom and should extend below the frost line. Of course, only ground contact approved CCA wood should be used.
------------------ Eddie
Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina
|
| | | Posts: 7375 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013 |  
IP
|
|
Raised Hands Surround Us Three Nails To Protect Us

| This is how I do mine. However I do put a layer of gravel at the bottom of the hole as a bit of a base.
———————————————— The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad. If we got each other, and that's all we have. I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand. You should know I'll be there for you!
|
| | |
Member
| I don't know I'm probably past 10K fence posts done that way. The weak point in all of it is not the concrete but the fact that we have screwed up PT treatment of posts. They all fail at the post
“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
|
| | |
Drill Here, Drill Now

| Dry pour posts work, but like most things the devil is in the details. 3 key details from quikrete's own instructions: overdig hole by 6" and put 6" crushed stone base dump one 50-lb bag of fast setting concrete dump 1-gallon of water per 50-lb bag
Some people live in areas with a frost zone deeper than 30" so the post needs to be below frost zone which necessitates knowing the additional detail from quikrete's fast setting concrete specification: For holes deeper than 30 in (0.75 m), fill to a depth of 30 in (0.75 m) or less and wait until the water soaks all the way into the mix. Then add the remainder of the mix and water.
Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity
DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer. |
| | | Posts: 25813 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005 |  
IP
|
|