SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stock Market Bargains and the Virus
Page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Market Bargains and the Virus Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
where do you guys put the money that you don't want in stocks? for a 60/40 portfolio, I'm talking about the "40" part.

Interest on cash is little to nothing, and not sure about bonds if interest rates rise, which is why I ask.

CDs at the Credit Union. The two year treasury bond fund SCHO for the rest. This is not the time to buy long term bonds, wait until rates go up. If rates go up.....

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I'd much rather do a bit of research and (at this point in my life) invest in strong dividend paying companies that can weather this storm. I admit to also owning some growth companies, ...

Would you care to share the names of some companies that you think are bargains at this time?

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I don't think you can go wrong with big oil. I've added to my holdings of BP and XOM with good yields at the time I bought. BP still looks great. CVX is another I have but didn't add to.

In general, other income stocks I own and have added to: DOW, JNJ, T, ABBV.

Another high yielder that might be a tad on the risky side, but it's backed by Marathon is MPLX.

For growth, I'd look at AAPL, AMZN, TTD, SHOP, NVDA.

I'm no "expert"....hate that word now, but I do enjoy following the market and my email is in my profile if anyone wants to talk stocks.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think you can go wrong with big oil. I've added to my holdings of BP and XOM with good yields at the time I bought. BP still looks great. CVX is another I have but didn't add to.

In general, other income stocks I own and have added to: DOW, JNJ, T, ABBV.

Another high yielder that might be a tad on the risky side, but it's backed by Marathon is MPLX.

For growth, I'd look at AAPL, AMZN, TTD, SHOP, NVDA.

I'm no "expert"....hate that word now, but I do enjoy following the market and my email is in my profile if anyone wants to talk stocks.

Thanks for the input. I'll take you up on the email offer.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9693 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hay2bale:
quote:
I'd much rather do a bit of research and (at this point in my life) invest in strong dividend paying companies that can weather this storm. I admit to also owning some growth companies, ...

Would you care to share the names of some companies that you think are bargains at this time?

our esteemed deceased member JALLEN recommended Realty Income (O) and I have bought several lots of that over the last couple years. Has dropped like most stocks but that allowed me to buy more at a lower price. pays dividends monthly unlike most stocks (quarterly). its a REIT.

Traded around $80 / share recently until the drop.

Have been able to buy a few lots in the $40s and $50s.

-----------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Walgreens wba is paying a little over 4% div and traditionally it's a 2-2.5% so when stock price normalizes you have appreciation. I've owned Walgreens for over 30 years.

I pounded table on Sysco syy on page 15 of this thread when stock was $27, now it's $49. I've owned Sysco since mid 1990s.

I like Park National Bank prk, a midcap regional bank in s central Ohio. Pays over 5%. I've owned Park since 2010. The way I found it is a good story. In 2010 I bought a 2007 Honda Pilot off Ebay from a Honda dealer in sc Ohio. Car was immaculate but miles were high @ 130k. All service up to date and Pilot needed nothing. I asked my salesman how a car so nice could get such high miles in 3 years. He told me it was Park ceo David Trautman's personal car. That many miles showed me hands on management and if a bank was making money in Ohio in mid/late aughts they were good. I bought enough that my Pilot was free and by now I could probably buy a new one even though stock price is down. I emailed ceo and complimented the condition of the Pilot and told him that's why I bought his stock. He responded with a nice email and said he replaced the Pilot I bought with another Pilot.

Another bank stock that I like is Wesbanco wsbc. A local bank that I've owned part of since ipo in early 90s was bought out by wsbc. Has been a great move for shareholders until virus. share price went from $43 to $20. Now back to 26 and pays just under 5%.

some of my other % holdings are Eli Lilly lly, Kroger kr, Stockyards Bank sybt, Mcdonalds mcd, Chase Bank jpm, Duke Energy duk. Not sexy but I've owned all these over 30 years and they treat me well. I've used 'dogs of the dow' theory since well before the Gardner brothers gave div investing a name. TD Ameritrade since the Waterhouse days of early 90s when they broke up the full service brokers commission racket with $39 self service telephone trades. reg TDA trades are now commission free.

Not all are winners. I'm in Ford deep avg cost of $9.50 and own some GE @ $11. Both have improved from late March price but still have a ways to go. I rode Frontier Communications into the ground but used the loss to shelter Vectren energy gain from a forced buyout in 2017 iirc.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not very conventional when it comes to stocks. Since I am sudt retired I have some time to spend on real time markets swings within a month week and day. I sold all of my equities and bonds on March 6 when market was at about 28000 and took it all to cash. I just start to reinvest this past week. I know over the long haul things return but I have never understood when you know or believe the market is going to crash to just watch it happen.
Anyway I saved a bundle by that moved against my brokers advice. My only stock tip I recommend that seems to still be working for growth not dividends or even super long term commit is Shopify (SHOP) I bought that at $145 in Jan 2019 an it is in the $400s now even after the crash. It swings alot over a given day but its general trend is up.I have done very well with it as an individual growth stock. Most of you have already said enough abot dividend stocks and M funds.

West German Sig P220, P6, P226, BDA

Posts: 89 | Location: NE Ohio Willoughby | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

Not all are winners. I'm in Ford deep avg cost of $9.50 and own some GE @ $11. Both have improved from late March price but still have a ways to go.

you and me both. long-term I think we'll do okay though

another vote for DUK here. have owned that for many years. solid utility.

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I've been very tempted to buy DUK over the years, but never pulled the trigger. D is another good one in that sector.

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
quote:

our esteemed deceased member JALLEN recommended Realty Income (O) and I have bought several lots of that over the last couple years. Has dropped like most stocks but that allowed me to buy more at a lower price. pays dividends monthly unlike most stocks (quarterly). its a REIT.

Traded around $80 / share recently until the drop.

Have been able to buy a few lots in the $40s and $50s.

-----------------------------------------------

I'd be very afraid of real estate funds at this time for 2 reasons. I think the residential market is going to drop due to people losing jobs and such. The commercial market is going to take a big hit in the office sector, as companies have spent a lot of money in infrastructure for people to work from home, AND they've realized the people have been just as productive working from home as at the office and they're now wondering why they've been spending so much on office space and will start having those employees just work from home and doing meetings via computer.

Also a lot of residential tenants aren't paying rent, malls are sucking huge wind and not getting rent because their tenants don't have to pay rent if they cannot do business because the entire mall is closed to customers, and etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ I also own some O. Thankfully the majority of their portfolio consists of staple businesses, think drug stores, auto parts, med clinics, etc. O is a pretty safe and stable REIT.

ETA:

From Yahoo Finance: "Realty Income, The Monthly Dividend Company, is an S&P 500 company dedicated to providing stockholders with dependable monthly income. The company is structured as a REIT, and its monthly dividends are supported by the cash flow from over 6,400 real estate properties owned under long-term lease agreements with commercial tenants. To date, the company has declared 596 consecutive common stock monthly dividends throughout its 51-year operating history and increased the dividend 105 times since Realty Income's public listing in 1994 (NYSE: O). The company is a member of the S&P 500 Dividend Aristocrats index."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Would it be reasonable to shift from basically all index to quality rated managed funds for this period in the hopes that they're intelligently seeking companies that have good plans and capabilities to weather the unprecedented storm?

I am examining that approach myself as the capitalization-based weighting in index funds creates category imbalances. If you used quality funds with low expenses and good track records, the difference in returns to the S&P should be minimized.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I went with some risk. I looked at stocks that had lost 40%-75% of their value in March..... RCL, CCL, MAR, RTX, AAL, DRI, CBRL, EXPE, WYND. I did the same thing in '09 and came out very well.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The image above does capture "Everything that is wrong with America" But not the image the tweet points too.

Maybe collecting expensive Nike Sneakers wasn't a good investment choice. Maybe delivering food via Door Dash when you have a wife and 2 kids wasn't a good career option.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

Yup, BioAnal, seriously? What is wrong with America? Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Kraquin:
quote:
quote:

I went with some risk. I looked at stocks that had lost 40%-75% of their value in March..... RCL, CCL, MAR, RTX, AAL, DRI, CBRL, EXPE, WYND. I did the same thing in '09 and came out very well.

This is basically what I'm doing, and have many of the same as you. See a couple there I'm going to look at.

I'm just throwing some fun money at the cruise lines and air lines, maybe some oil and hotels as well. See what it looks like in a few years.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2445 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
^^^ Where else in the world can you make a come back so well?
I'm thinking this is MORE of what is right than what is wrong. Eek

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSauerP226:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

Yup, BioAnal, seriously? What is wrong with America? Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Kraquin:
quote:
quote:

This is basically what I'm doing, and have many of the same as you. See a couple there I'm going to look at.

I'm just throwing some fun money at the cruise lines and air lines, maybe some oil and hotels as well. See what it looks like in a few years.

One other that is not exactly in that category but has huge potential is BA. I believe they will fix that plane and they will regain their value. They're just too big.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazon is up more than 35 precent since March 16, which was just a tick past the bottom, and hit a new all-time high today.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Ya BA is another I am watching, feel the same that they will eventually get their stuff together and getting in now might look good in a few years. They were obviously having problems prior to Covid, but long term I imagine they bounce back just fine.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2445 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post