SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stock Market Bargains and the Virus
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Market Bargains and the Virus Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
market going ape-sh^t again this morning

--------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Fucking RCCL....

Good start to the morning.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9693 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Fucking RCCL....

Yea, had you bought on 4/3 at $23, you would be in good shape. I don't like the sector near or long term, and hear the Saudi's are sinking money into the guise industry to prop it up. I'll ask this question, how soon will you be willing to get on a cruise ship for any price knowing that if an outbreak occurs, nobody wants that ship in port.

I say never for me or my family.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
quote:
Fucking RCCL....

Yea, had you bought on 4/3 at $23, you would be in good shape. I don't like the sector near or long term, and hear the Saudi's are sinking money into the guise industry to prop it up. I'll ask this question, how soon will you be willing to get on a cruise ship for any price knowing that if an outbreak occurs, nobody wants that ship in port.

I say never for me or my family.

Me either. I also read about the Saudis investing in Carnival, which was nuts this morning.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 9693 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
Is Zoom tainted now?

I dumped mine on Friday and it's been steadily tracking south. Selling out to FB, shady ties with PRC, hacking and lack of quality encryption takes it off the table for most organizations I would think.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
prior to this collapse all I owned in my 401k was VTI and BND. At age 64 I was not a stock picker, just focused on my allocations. As the market got more volatile I sold more than half the VTI and sat with the cash. I still hold the balance of VTI and BND, but within the last couple of weeks I have been taking positions with the VTI proceeds on down days in individual stocks, mostly high quality stocks with dividends now, because of depressed prices, ranging from 5 - 8%. that I plan on holding long term. I am not trading in here. Of course dividends can be reduced or cut altogether - like Boeing - but I am thinking that might be less likely in quality companies that should recover substantially when this period passes, although I don't think they will quickly return to pre virus levels. I could be very wrong but that's how I am approaching the current market.

Posts: 550 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fizzled out today

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am still convinced we will see much more volatility in the near future. Quarterly reports in the next few weeks will make things...sporty. That being said, if you have idle cash, there will be more than enough opportunity to purchase some long term high quality companies.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I also bought 1000 shares of F @ $4.29 and 2000 shares of MFA @ 1.04......today......

MFA had a good day, Jimmy.

NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I also bought 1000 shares of F @ $4.29 and 2000 shares of MFA @ 1.04......today......

MFA had a good day, Jimmy.

Yeah, I dumped it at $1.50......a little early today, as it hit $1.78. But I'm not complaining......dumped F too at $4.96.....hoping the market dips again...….still upside down on TWIN even though that's up quite a bit today too

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
You would be better off finding a low cost ETF. There will likely be lower fees, more widely traded, and thinner spreads.

good suggestion

VTI is a good one from Vanguard

VTI is excellent!!!! Low cost, and the only real factor is making sure whatever broker you use charges a low commission/fee to buy it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Question for everyone who knows. Could I use a TD Ameritrade account to buy shares or is there another way?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
A general question on fund approaches for the next 18-24 months. I'm making an educated guess that some companies will fail after the smoke clears. As such, my old approach (owning everything via index funds) may not be wise in such an extraordinary and unusual time.

Would it be reasonable to shift from basically all index to quality rated managed funds for this period in the hopes that they're intelligently seeking companies that have good plans and capabilities to weather the unprecedented storm?

Posts: 11388 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
So when is a good time for someone to get in to oil?

NRA Life Member

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:

Right before I buy that 13MPG Toyota Land Cruiser. Because I gauranFuCkinTee Gas will somehow go to $4.50 a gallon then.

Posts: 11388 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:

Right before I buy that 13MPG Toyota Land Cruiser. Because I gauranFuCkinTee Gas will somehow go to $4.50 a gallon then.

Thanks, Rogue, thats the tip I was looking for. But if I'm being honest, with my luck, I'll buy oil and the price will plummet. Maybe you and I just have a little gentleman's bet, let me know when you're getting the LC, and I'll buy oil, then we'll just see what happens.

Deal?

NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

Question for everyone who knows. Could I use a TD Ameritrade account to buy shares or is there another way?

Any stock broker, including TD Ameritrade, should be able to sell you VTI. If you do it on line, they probably don't charge a commission.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
A general question on fund approaches for the next 18-24 months. I'm making an educated guess that some companies will fail after the smoke clears. As such, my old approach (owning everything via index funds) may not be wise in such an extraordinary and unusual time.

Would it be reasonable to shift from basically all index to quality rated managed funds for this period in the hopes that they're intelligently seeking companies that have good plans and capabilities to weather the unprecedented storm?

I'm different from most as I don't invest in mutual funds at all....except my 401k where I don't have a choice. I'd much rather do a bit of research and (at this point in my life) invest in strong dividend paying companies that can weather this storm. I admit to also owning some growth companies, but ones averse to lots of risk. Keep in mind, if we plan to live a long life....I'm 61 now, I want a little growth in my portfolio too.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
where do you guys put the money that you don't want in stocks? for a 60/40 portfolio, I'm talking about the "40" part.

Interest on cash is little to nothing, and not sure about bonds if interest rates rise, which is why I ask.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
where do you guys put the money that you don't want in stocks? for a 60/40 portfolio, I'm talking about the "40" part.

Interest on cash is little to nothing, and not sure about bonds if interest rates rise, which is why I ask.

I put my non-stock money in CDs. I have a few short term(6 mo.) but mostly in 1-2 year. I have some paying 2 1/2% which is not great, but it is SAFE, and guaranteed by the US Govt. I used to also do Corp. Bonds, but there isn't anything out there now that I am interested in. It beats putting it in a sock(although, I do have some cash there also).

Posts: 6620 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Stay with the one that brung ya.

Most managed funds do not beat the index funds over time. There is no reason to think that now is any different.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post