SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which router to buy for Fios?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which router to buy for Fios? Login/Join 
posted
I'm planning on getting Fios internet and need to decide which router to purchase. Verizon will be happy to sell me one for about 300 dollars or rent me one for 15 bucks a month. I don't see the benefit of renting and eventually paying double, triple the value of the router over time, so it makes more sense to just bite the bullet and buy one. I don't know anything about routers so looking for advice on which router to purchase. I'm single so there's no other users in the home except me. I'm open to all suggestions, thanks.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I don't thing they sell many plain modems any more much.
I personally prefer a modem and then supply my own router.

To clarify: most people thing of a "router" as a "wifi" device.

If you separate by function:
Modem: connects the ISP aka Internet to your premise
Router: connects the modem connection via a public IP "routes" to your local network aka LAN device.
WIFI AP: connects your "device" to the "router" wirelessly

Note: most devices from the ISP have all three functions.

For most people it is probably best to go with that device for simplicity.
If you have more complex needs then separate devices might be better.
Just find out which model they supply and go shop for it online or buy directly from them.

YMMV

Posts: 22933 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I get the modem from the ISP, and decline their wifi router service. Reason is if something goes wrong with the modem it's not my problem and they send a tech out ASAP to test and replace the unit. Rather not have to buy another if mine failed or wait on repairs.

I connect the modem to two different routers, one for a hardwired lan in my office and the other for a MESH wifi lan.

Reason is the office router is good for speed when hardwired and I need the switch capability for other hard wired devices that don't have wifi as an option ie older printer scanner.

The mesh is quick and it adds a secondary layer of protection behind the modem/router...

Posts: 23525 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're saying I need a modem and a router? Does anyone manufacturer a modem/router or are they to separate units? Are all routers the same or are some brands better than others? What might I expect to pay for a router?

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
You're saying I need a modem and a router? Does anyone manufacturer a modem/router or are they to separate units? Are all routers the same or are some brands better than others? What might I expect to pay for a router?

They are separate devices.

I've been using Asus wireless routers (it's a router that also provides Wi-Fi) for the last several years and have nothing but good things to say about them.

The cost can vary all over the place depending on many things. Here is a very simple wireless router that will not break the bank: https://www.microcenter.com/pr...00-wireless-n-router

JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:

Like I said these are separate functions but most all ISP will provide a unit with the modem/router/wifi as an all-in-one unit.
You do not need to go out and source them independently unless you need the functionality of separate units.
Modems sold separately are more common on cable system interfaces and not so much on tele ISP's like ATT, I don't know what FIOS uses.
In any case I would see what they provide and shop for the same.
Additionally, you can still use an aftermarket router and wifi with an all-in-one unit but there is usually no need unless you need some additional functionality.
That functionality might be a vpn, or a better wifi coverage.

Posts: 22933 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
I've had Verizon Fios for many years. With their internet service, they will give you a G1100 combination modem/router and wifi. There's no extra charge for this "gateway" as they call it, and it's capable of running their most basic service, all the way up to their gigabit service. I've used it on both (currently online typing this through it on Fios gigabit service) and it works very very well.

Now, the $300 or $15 per month unit that you're talking about is the G3100. The advantages of this combo modem/router/wifi "gateway" are slightly better wifi range, speedier wifi and a self organizing system that auto selects which band to put your device on depending on bandwidth needs in your home. It does get good reviews on line and I am toying with the idea of trying one out (you can buy them online around $250) but honestly the G1100 works very well and is free with your service. I have no complaints about it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LBAR15,

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
If you're not tech-savvy, and it looks like you're not, best to go with what the ISP offers, whether you buy or rent, IMO.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now, the $300 or $15 per month unit that you're talking about is the G3100. The advantages of this combo modem/router/wifi "gateway" are slightly better wifi range, speedier wifi and a self organizing system that auto selects which band to put your device on depending on bandwidth needs in your home. It does get good reviews on line and I am toying with the idea of trying one out (you can buy them online around $250) but honestly the G1100 works very well and is free with your service. I have no complaints about it.

Not that I need the additional capabilities of the G3100 but it seems to make more sense to pay a one time fee of 300 bucks rather than rent a router indefinitely at $15 per month.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
If you're not tech-savvy, and it looks like you're not, best to go with what the ISP offers, whether you buy or rent, IMO.

This does appear to be the best course of action.

You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
My opinion, just go with the standard G1100 router. I'm pretty tech savvy and it's serving me well. If I do shell out money for the G3100, it's more out of curiosity and to try something new than to overcome any shortcoming I am experiencing with the free G1100 router. I'm sure you'd be perfectly satisfied with it as well! Smile

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
Just rent the modem/router. if it f
dies it is on them. If there is an issue, maybe remotetly fix the issue. If it dies, you grt a new one for free. If you own it its ALL on you. Modems have a life. it could die in 2 yrs, guess what gotta go buy a new one! The docsis expires gotta go buy a new one ! Just rent it. less stress in your life. My .02.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5302 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post