SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Will have “REAL ID” soon
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will have “REAL ID” soon Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I’m old enough that I have to take a written test to get my California drivers license renewed. Did that today, and passed! A relief.

I took in enough documents that my new drivers license will a “REAL ID”. A REAL ID will be required for domestic airline flights as of 2020 (but I think a current US passport will work too).

Although a REAL ID isn’t currently required for domestic airline flights, I’m wondering if it has any current benefits. E.g., less hassle with airport security?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8957 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I got one last year. The requirement for a Real ID was supposed to be the beginning of this year but a few states couldn't make it happen in time so they got an extension.

There is no real difference at the airport. The only difference I have noticed is that some stores scan it when I am buying alcohol instead of the person finding your birth date and typing it in.

I also found it funny that in order to get the Real ID here in GA you had to provide a few forms of ID and my previous GA drivers license didn't count as one they accepted.

And yes a passport works in place of the Real ID for air travel.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Goodness. I feel like I've had the Real ID for almost ten years now in Utah.

quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:

Well of course it does.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

quote:

Well of course it does.

Well the OP didn't seem sure so I felt like I would confirm it for him. What may seem obvious to people who travel by air a lot isn't always to those who don't.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well the OP didn't seem sure so I felt like I would confirm it for him. What may seem obvious to people who travel by air a lot isn't always to those who don't.

Fair enough.

And to the OP in regards to this: "Although a REAL ID isn’t currently required for domestic airline flights, I’m wondering if it has any current benefits. E.g., less hassle with airport security?"

No. As Pale Horse said, it has absolutely no benefits as far as getting through security faster or with less hassle.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Drive up to the Needles DMV. A lot less headache with wait time.

You know; stand in line for 2.5 - 3.0 hours to get a number the wait 2 hours for said number to be called. BTW - can you guess what numbers the metrix the DMV uses for claiming how low the wait time at the DMV is?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

...Although a REAL ID isn’t currently required for domestic airline flights, I’m wondering if it has any current benefits. E.g., less hassle with airport security?

It'll be easier to get a visitor pass on military bases. At the Rock Island Arsenal (with a great museum) it takes a few minutes as they run a quick background check. I've read that in a few years if you don't have Real ID it'll be even harder to get in.

https://www.usagria.army.mil/AccessRequests/

https://www.usagria.army.mil/A...Requests/RealID.aspx

Posts: 15908 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Look into Global Entry. It includes the TSA precheck.
When we returned from Europe, there was a large room full of people clearing customs and immigration. We walked to a kiosk, scanned our passports and fingerprints, then completed 7 questions. A receipt was printed. We picked up out bags and exited the Global Entry gate.
The TSA precheck makes getting through TSA a breeze.
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/tru...rograms/global-entry

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Nexus card which has it’s own benefit. I also have a passport card which can be handy at times. Here in Washington State, you can basically get a drivers license after passing the tests and fogging a mirror. I decided to renew my drivers license with the real ID. Took almost 2-hours. Wednesday and Saturday are the worst days to go to our version of DMV. I went on a Tuesday. It’s done now.

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
Tv station here just did a news story using a DMV close to me in Poway, Ca.
Average wait time was 5 hours. Those with appointments were waiting at least 2.5 hours.
Mine not up till next year, I'll wait till the madness wears off.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i had to renew my license at the beginning of August since it expired on my birthday. made my account and got an appointment 1st week of June soonest available was the Friday before my Monday birthday.

show up at DMV at 11 for 11:20 appointment. The non appointment line was around the building and then another hundred at least inside. appointment line was only 20 deep. Finally spoke to somebody about 1130. Go use the computer on the wall. Got to the computer and fill in everything and get a code #. go back to employee, great now wait till number called. 11:55 number pops up. Lady look out all my "RealID" documentation, seems to be in order for her. i pay my 35$. Now go across building for a photo. wait 5 more minutes at photo line. Take pic. Now go back to original lady. Paperwork is in order (still) heres your temper ID paper printout. out the door at 12:15

FYI, per my gun store employee friends ( 2 different shops) they have been instructed by CA DOJ that a "federal limits apply" ID, i.e not a REALID, is not sufficient to buy a gun now. A Passport doesn't prove enough to the state either according to them.

All the DMV folks I dealt with were super friendly and apologetic for the line and they all blame it on Sacramento for the ever changing rules and they didn't even know if in 5 years at renewal time you will need to prove it all again to keep a REAL ID. Their guidance changes often apparently.

Posts: 4768 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10706 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Will lip-tattoos be required, too?

Brands, maybe, or implanted trackers?

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I went to get my DL I opted for the RealID. I figure it’s a way to slowly filter out the illegals who have been given a DL over the last ten years..eventually the RealID will be required and they can’t get em.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I went with RealID when I renewed my Indiana license this spring. In and out in less than 30 minutes and good until 2025. Price was about the same as regular license, around $20.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

When the RealID thing was first proposed (10 or so years ago?), AZ passed a law, or perhaps even a constitutional amendment, that AZ would not comply. Now that it is looking to become necessary, AZ's MVD offers to make your DL into a RealID, requiring all of the pertinent documentation. For an extra $25, you can get the gold star, which is the universal symbol for a RealID.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

When the RealID thing was first proposed (10 or so years ago?), AZ passed a law, or perhaps even a constitutional amendment, that AZ would not comply.

Utah did the same thing, passed a law saying it would not comply. And then whether by circumstance or whatever almost immediately did comply. We've had it for quite awhile now. Interesting that it seems to be an option for some of you. I don't know if it is an option or not in Utah. I was never asked. It was simply the license I was issued when I got it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
i had to renew my license at the beginning of August since it expired on my birthday. made my account and got an appointment 1st week of June soonest available was the Friday before my Monday birthday. <snip>

I tried to get a DMV appointment about five weeks before my drivers license expired. The earliest one I could get, at a station near me, was six weeks AFTER it expired.

I now have my e-calendar set to give me monthly reminders to check the CA DMV reservation queue length (via the CA DMV app on my iPhone) beginning a year before my license next expires.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8957 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Fair enough.

And to the OP in regards to this: "Although a REAL ID isn’t currently required for domestic airline flights, I’m wondering if it has any current benefits. E.g., less hassle with airport security?"

No. As Pale Horse said, it has absolutely no benefits as far as getting through security faster or with less hassle.

Not quite. Without one, you won't be getting through security.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
quote:
quote:

Fair enough.

Not quite. Without one, you won't be getting through security.

I was surprised to read you can get through TSA without an ID, though I would not try it.

Forgot Your ID?

In the event you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete an identity verification process which includes collecting information such as your name, current address, and other personal information to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You may be subject to additional screening, to include a patdown and screening of carry-on property.

You will not be allowed to enter the security checkpoint if your identity cannot be confirmed, you chose to not provide proper identification or you decline to cooperate with the identity verification process.

TSA recommends that you arrive at least two hours in advance of your flight time.

If your identity cannot be verified, you will not be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/sec...ntification#forgotID

Posts: 15908 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post