SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home Improvement folks- carpet backing stuck to hardwood floor-
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Improvement folks- carpet backing stuck to hardwood floor- Login/Join 
posted
Long story short-
Mrs CPD SIG wants to re-do the bedroom. So guess what I get to do?

Anyways- I removed the rug. It's been down for 16 years. Survived the Wife, the Dog, our two drunkin midgets and me. It had to go.

Under the high traffic areas of the rug, the backing (cloth and possibly a rubber type backing) stuck to the hardwood floor. The floor is in great shape, and doesn't need to be refinished.

Any tips or tricks on removing that stuff stuck to the floor?

I'm having success scraping it up with a plastic scraper (plastic won't scratch the floor). But it's a royal pain in the rear.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8548 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little heat from a hairdryer might help with the plastic scraper.

As the disclaimer goes “Try this in an unobtrusive area first”

Posts: 2161 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
I would try putting some Dawn dishwashing detergent soapy water on a small area to see if that would soften it up to see if it helps with the scraping.

Easy on the water amount and dry it up after scraping.

I have never tried this!

Posts: 1571 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Not an expert, but I might test some duct tape on an inconspicuous corner to see if it messed with the finish, and if it doesn't hurt the finish, I would then try putting duct tape over the areas with the backing and see if that would peel it off.

Carpet tape might be better - that would have to have been tested against damaging floor finishes - but who has carpet tape lying around?

Posts: 15157 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Mineral spirits.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
My wife found something called Goo Gone that cleans the adhesive used to stick labels on all kinds of things. I’m done with carefully trying to remove labels in one piece. After what can be ripped off in one go a saturated piece of paper towel gets laid on the sticky residue and then wiped off. If a little heat didn’t loosen the pad I’d give Goo Gone a shot in a hidden spot.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I think Goo Gone is mostly acetone and might lift the finish.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8277 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Sears used to have a product called terpoline ,we used to remove packing tape that had become wet on appliances,
It is paint safe

Posts: 22421 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

Maybe so, but I’ve used it on all kinds of painted items without the result you’d get using acetone. You really do have to take care using acetone.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rent a floor buffer.

In a similar situation I used our Bissel Healthy Home(?) vacuum cleaner, and the rotating brush worked, but slowly.

Posts: 1364 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Mineral spirits.

This is the correct answer.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

Maybe so, but I’ve used it on all kinds of painted items without the result you’d get using acetone. You really do have to take care using acetone.

If you look at the MSDS for Goo Gone, it's basically kerosene and limonene.

Limonene is a strong natural solvent found in citrus oil.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try WD-40. It's good at softening and removing all sorts of adhesive without hurting finishes.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mostly used a drywall knife to lightly scrape up the stuck on spots.
There were 3 PITA spots that I used the GooGone on.

WORKED PERFECTLY!

Thanks Gents!!!!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8548 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post