SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are There Still Overdrive transmissions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are There Still Overdrive transmissions Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Check out the Ford F150 ten-speed.

1 = 4.69:1
2 = 2.98:1
3 = 2:14:1
4 = 1.76:1
5 = 1.52:1
6 = 1.27:1
7 = 1.00:1
8 = 0.85:1
9 = 0.68:1
10 = 0.63:1

Three overdrive ratios. 30%.

It has changed a great deal in our ATF additive formulation work.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5200 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
With 5-6-8-and 10 speed transmission virtually everywhere now they are all Overdrive Transmissions.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
We used to run Columbia rear ends in Continentals. Not sure of the actual ratios though

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6401 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Hi Max, in a nutshell, they are OD’s without having a named OD. You know my Vette. It has a 7 speed manual transmission in it. Sixth and seventh are OD gears. I only use seventh at interstate speeds. At 78mph in 7th the engine is only turning at 1400rpm.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2683 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 posts above you.
2017 MX5, 1:1 in 6th gear, with the 6MT.

Uh. that's a stick. Original post "auto".
I am still thinking there isn't any auto currently available without overdrive.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11164 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speaks Bendablese
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
The overdrive gear in my dad’s 1950 Ford had free-wheeling capability. Going down a hill, the engine just turned at idle speed. I know of no cars that have that capability nowadays.

This would waste fuel in a modern engine as the injectors don't fire when coasting without a torque demand on the engine, i.e. no throttle input.

Posts: 287 | Location: MD | Registered: September 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Technically it wouldn't waste fuel, but it is unnecessary and complex for the result..

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11164 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Budlum:
quote:
The overdrive gear in my dad’s 1950 Ford had free-wheeling capability. Going down a hill, the engine just turned at idle speed. I know of no cars that have that capability nowadays.

This would waste fuel in a modern engine as the injectors don't fire when coasting without a torque demand on the engine, i.e. no throttle input.

There are safety issues with free-wheeling down a hill, but there’s no way that it would waste fuel.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9437 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
With the number of gears constantly increasing, do modern auto transmissions still have overdrive?

Depends what you mean by overdrive. Do you mean modern trannies where anything 5 and above is an overdrive ratio, or a separate OD gearbox that makes all output overdrive (and thus has a separate shift lever or electic switch to activate)?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16901 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Not overdrive related but coasting related

Whenever the driver takes their foot off the accelerator without braking, the Coasting function (part of ECO PRO mode) cuts the power between the engine and drive in vehicles with an automatic transmission. The vehicle rolls along without any resistance from the engine, which rotates at idle speed consuming minimum fuel and with low emissions.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8154 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speaks Bendablese
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Budlum:
quote:

There are safety issues with free-wheeling down a hill, but there’s no way that it would waste fuel.

An engine at idle decoupled from the transmission requires fuel. An engine rotating above idle coupled to the transmission is not metering fuel to the injectors and is not using fuel.

Posts: 287 | Location: MD | Registered: September 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Here’s my car when it automatically coasts.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8154 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post