SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best VPN for Androids (Novice Users)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best VPN for Androids (Novice Users) Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted
My wife has a question.

Hi everyone!! We are relying more and more on our cell phones and tablets to do every day tasks. I have avoided doing things like banking, credit card apps etc because I just don't trust doing them over a cell data signal or "free" wifi when we travel or are out on the road. I know one option is to start using a VPN whenever we do anything that requires data.

My limit to VPNs is on my work laptop if I have to log in when I happen to be on the road which is hardly ever. I asked the IT guy at work and his reply was he really wasn't versed on all the ins and outs but could explain how they work.

I am looking for something economical, and not too difficult to navigate that will protect me when we are away from home so we can manage our credit cards and bank accounts if needed and maybe allow us to do some online purchases.

I have done some google searching and here are the top 4 I find, but it is really all Greek to me on the benefits of one to the other.

1. NordVPN
2. SurfShark
3. CyberGhost
4. ExpressVPN

Any guidance and help on the pros and cons of what we should look for would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Smile

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
For economical and effective, I would recommend PureVPN. Last time I paid for it was $69 for 5 years back in Dec, 2020. It ran top of my subscription back then so now I have it until April 2028.

I moved to them after cancelling NordVPN during the money back period. I got a VPN service because I had planned on being an expat for a couple of years and I wanted to protect my banking info and also be able to access my streaming services. Just a few days of checking it out, I couldn't access Amazon videos. I put in an email to customer service, no response for maybe a week. So I cancelled. That's when they called me to how to keep my business. I told they they could have kept it if they responded to my request for help.

PureVPN knows the reasons why their customers use VPN so they stay on top of it and while it's an ongoing game between streaming services and the VPNs, they continue to respond.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
The various commercial VPN/tunneling products all use essentially the same technology with little difference to it's effectiveness in deterring casual "sniffing" of data conversations. The same technology that protects HTTPS vs. HTTP web accesses. This is because these algorithms have been proven cryptographically "strong," and are mostly open-source, not subject to license, and in the public domain making them much easier and cheaper to incorporate in a product. So don't look for a preference based on claimed "security." Instead base your selection criteria on extent of the provider's server network, reputation and policy for protecting customer privacy, consumer protection regulations in their home country, support for the platforms/OS's you use, and cost.

As far as specific offerings go, I mostly prefer to create my own tunnels using such things as OpenVPN, Wireguard, or similar free-to-use software. Mostly these are router-to-router connecting geographically distant subnets each with several client systems attached rather than client-to-server connections.

For a commercial easy-to-initiate and use "product," I can find little fault with ProtonVPN, an adjunct to the ProtonMail project. Free of cost, secure, and promulgated by people who appear serious about security and customer privacy (they do have paid options that purport to offer more features and bypass the tragedy of the commons, although I never found the free stuff to be restrictive).

Posts: 6484 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I like and use Protonmail's ProtonVPN. They're a Swiss company so you've got some of the best privacy laws on the planet working in your favor.

Posts: 8150 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have used PIA for years. On the mobile, I install the free OpenVPN app. PIA provides OpenVPN configuration files for all of their sites.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I know you said "novice users" in the title but in case you wanted to try something new, here's what I do.

I have a Raspberry Pi with pi-hole for ad blocking, unbound for DNS and pivpn for running a VPN at my home. I use WireGuard to connect back to it so that when I'm on a foreign WiFi the VPN encrypts the connection. I get the added benefit of having ad blocking whenever I'm away as well.

The setup is really simple. The official websites have step by step instructions. Totally worth it.

Posts: 45377 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
you can do what I did.

Set up OpenVPN at home, and then set up the Andriod phone for OpenVPN.

provides a secure encrypted pipe from your phone to your home internet "network", so it is therefore almost as secure as your home internet connection.

best part --- totally free.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I have used NordVPN for 3 years and have been happy with it.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1892 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone, I (we) appreciate the help and advice. Now to give it a try.

Mrs. 71 Truck

Bonnie

Posts: 21 | Location: Central FL South of the Mouse | Registered: July 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I love Surfshark because 1 account can be used on any machine by logging in. You aren’t restricted to a certain number of devices like other VPNs.

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
Whichever company you decide on I suggest conducting a offer code search online before signing up. I know Surfshark (the VPN I use) almost always has a significant offer code as does NordVPN.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a VPN on my Android phone a few months ago but found out it was the culprit preventing me from internet access. Once removed, all was the way it should be.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
I had a VPN on my Android phone a few months ago but found out it was the culprit preventing me from internet access. Once removed, all was the way it should be.
Don't blame the VPN, but put the onus on the web publishers that block VPN-enabled users.

How can they tell? I'm sure there is a public database available of VPN tunnel end points, or perhaps by traffic analysis (more than X users coming from the same IP).

Posts: 6484 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
Don't blame the VPN, but put the onus on the web publishers that block VPN-enabled users.

How can they tell? I'm sure there is a public database available of VPN tunnel end points, or perhaps by traffic analysis (more than X users coming from the same IP).

which is part of the reason that I use OpenVPN to my home network. Gives me the security I desire, and it just looks like I'm on my home network, as opposed to some VPN service tunnel.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post