SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ATF & FBI Admit to Using NICS to Monitor Over 1,000 Law-Abiding Gun Owners
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATF & FBI Admit to Using NICS to Monitor Over 1,000 Law-Abiding Gun Owners Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
quote:
SOURCE: Ammoland.com

WASHINGTON, D.C.-(Ammoland.com)- In April of 2021 AmmoLand News obtained a leak from the ATF showing that the Bureau was monitoring people’s firearm transactions that MIGHT commit a crime in the future. Using the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) the ATF kept tabs on over 1,000 American citizens. These law-abiding Americans have not committed any crime and are not under investigation. These are people the ATF or FBI believe are at risk of committing a crime in the future.

Gun rights activists have long worried the government would target law-abiding gun owners using NICS. It worried Gun Owners of America to the point they filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request. The goal of the FOIA was to determine how many Americans the ATF and FBI are tracking.

quote:
It’s outrageous that our government is spying on law-abiding gun owners, who have committed no crimes,” GOA Senior Vice President Erich Pratt told AmmoLand News. “Congress needs to rein in the ATF and put a stop to this immediately.” “This is like the movie Minority Report, where the government targets those who might commit a crime. There are multiple problems with what the ATF is doing here, but let me use an analogy that even anti-gun Leftists should comprehend. What would they have said if the Trump administration had spied on illegal aliens who might vote in an election? Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer would have been calling for impeachment hearings.”

The FOIA found that in May of 2020, the ATF was monitoring the firearms purchases of 525 people using NICS. That number has exploded to 826 individuals as of April 2021. The current trend is to monitor more instead of less law-abiding Americans. If this trend continues the ATF will be monitoring every American who ever legally purchased a firearm using a NICS background check.

The same FOIA also revealed the number of firearms purchases monitored by the FBI dropped in the corresponding period. In May of 2020, the FBI was watching 255 people’s purchases through NICS. That number dropped to 241. The drop can be attributed to the outlier month of June 2020 where the Bureau deleted 35 people from its search. Excluding that one month, the FBI also increased the number of Americans it is monitoring. None of the documents provided in the FOIA explains the drop in people monitored by the FBI for June 2020.

These totals (from May 2020 to April 2021) put the number of law-abiding Americans monitored by the federal government for practicing their Second Amendment right at over 1,000 people. The FOIA did not explain why the FBI and the ATF have chosen to monitor these gun owners. GOA and AmmoLand News both have vowed to keep digging until we uncover the truth.

AmmoLand News has reached out to the FBI and the ATF in an attempt to get clarity on who the people being monitored are and why the government has chosen to watch them. So far, the government has not responded to AmmoLand’s request for comment.

[NOTE: Link above has digital images of the FOIA request and responses from ATF and FBI]

We already knew ATF was creating an illegal firearms registry using out-of-business records for licensees, multiple purchase reports (handguns across US; long guns too in the four states with a contiguous land border with Mexico Arizona, California, New Mexico, and Texas), theft records, police trace requests, etc. This is despite the 18 U.S.C. 926(a):

quote:
No such rule or regulation prescribed after the date of the enactment of the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act may require that records required to be maintained under this chapter or any portion of the contents of such records, be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or any political subdivision thereof, nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or dispositions be established.

All registration systems, automated or not, paper or digital are specifically prohibited. That ATF and the FBI don't give a fuck about the law we already knew. But Jesu Christo, this is out of hand.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31425 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gun rights activists have long worried the government would target law-abiding gun owners using NICS.

I say "no shit" . Frown

You cannot trust them.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Someone (the SAF maybe) should be filing a suit against the ATF.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
This is the same ATF and FBI that has stopped processing appeals from persons improperly denied a firearms transfer by NICS. The reason: insufficient staff.

Take the people off the illegal gun registry and assign them to doing NICS appeals.

Nice is overrated

Posts: 31425 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
See, the OP here is laboring under the misconception that laws apply to everyone. They don't apply to the government or its employees, only the slaves in the general population. The Constitution contains suggestions the government should follow if convenient. If they don't, its OK because they're better than we are. They can do as they please because they're smarter and have better vision. Do any of us hate the government? Anyone know why?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
AmmoLand News has reached out to the FBI and the ATF in an attempt to get clarity on who the people being monitored are and why the government has chosen to watch them.So far, the government has not responded to AmmoLand’s request for comment.

This news is disturbing. I'll be interested in learning what the ATF and FBI responses are...but I'm confused on one point; according the portion in bold above, the government agencies haven't yet responded, but the thread title is "ATF & FBI Admit to Using NICS to Monitor Over 1,000 Law-Abiding Gun Owners"

What have they admitted to?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
AmmoLand News has reached out to the FBI and the ATF in an attempt to get clarity on who the people being monitored are and why the government has chosen to watch them.So far, the government has not responded to AmmoLand’s request for comment.

This news is disturbing. I'll be interested in learning what the ATF and FBI responses are...but I'm confused on one point; according the portion in bold above, the government agencies haven't yet responded, but the thread title is "ATF & FBI Admit to Using NICS to Monitor Over 1,000 Law-Abiding Gun Owners"

What have they admitted to?

ATF and FBI admitted surveilling lawful gun owners in the first FOIA response.

There is a subsequent FOIA to get ATF and FBI to give over more information on why they are violating the gun owners' Fourth Amendment rights.

Nice is overrated

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Who'd've thunk it...?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JPFO (Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership) has been tracking and reporting the underhanded deeds of the BATF for a while.

The information in this section titled “Boot The BATFE!” does not have the latest abuses but it does provide a good insight into their horrible, abusive and egregious track-record.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
500ish people..."exploded" to over 800. Seriously? I understand the potential farther-reaching implications, but we're talking about fewer than one thousand people and we don't know exactly why they're being monitored. I'm going to go ahead and not get all worked up over this.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
500ish people..."exploded" to over 800. Seriously? I understand the potential farther-reaching implications, but we're talking about fewer than one thousand people and we don't know exactly why they're being monitored. I'm going to go ahead and not get all worked up over this.

More than 0 bothers me in this matter.

Of course we all know our privacy is long gone in just about every way imaginable, but this, among more and more things, used to be what the authorities said would never happen. At least that's how I recall it being sold to us, but I could be wrong.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
If they’re “admitting” it’s 1,000 then I’ll bet you it’s more like 10,000, maybe 100,000

I put NOTHING past these people.

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
At least half (or more) of the guns in my safe were FTF purchases. I'm starting to think that was a very good idea on my part.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Suprised? no Disquested? yes

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8342 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
They're useless.

FBI called us last night at around 3am and said stay away from this intersection (the main intersection near our station that we need to go through to get everywhere) with no explanation other than we're working the area and we have vehicles, don't stop our cars.

okay...

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8011 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post