SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interesting week
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting week Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am glad you and she are improving. Cheers.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Shid oh dear! These are the times that try men’s souls. Glad you’re both on the mend.

Posts: 13225 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I got some [limited] yard work done yesterday, and Alice is walking with only a barely perceptible limp. I spoke with the pacemaker manufacturer help line (Medtronic), and got a lot of questions answered about what I could and could not do. DO NOT lay an iPad on your chest (like in bed). Apparently the entire back of it is a magnet. Almost all of my corded and cordless power tools are OK, as long as I keep any 120V motor 6" or more away from the device. I did give my Millermatic 212 MIG to a neighbor (husband of the couple that really helped us out), as arc welding is a no-no.

The ride home from the hospital was a real treat, for me. I drive a 14 yr old Tacoma, but our neighbor, Christine, who ferried us home, has a brand new F-350 Lariat, crew cab dually (she has horses), with all of the latest electronics. Text messages were coming and going on the display, but it was all hands free, text->voice and voice->text. Nav system showing us the route (we knew that anyway), with estimated times. I cannot begin to imagine what that hunk of metal cost, but it was a fun (and very smooth/quiet) ride.

It is too early to say we are over the hump, but things are looking very bright for both of us.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
I cant't top that....thank goodness. God bless you both and glad you folks are well. Cheers.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Wow! Glad that it is working out well.

I've had a pacemaker for several years and did have a MRI last September--the lab technician looked it up and did something to the pacemaker with a hand-held tool before and after the MRI procedure.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Wow, that was certainly lucky you got in and transferred so fast. Glad you both are doing better. And very glad you took the time to find out the do’s and dont’s of having a pacemaker.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m1009:
Wow, that was certainly lucky you got in and transferred so fast.

Having a helicopter and crew (pilot, flight paramedic, and flight nurse) on permanent standby right outside the ER is a big plus for this community.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
<snip>
DO NOT lay an iPad on your chest (like in bed). Apparently the entire back of it is a magnet.
<snip>

That surprises me. It clings to iron surfaces?

But so glad that you’re both doing well!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8919 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
DO NOT lay an iPad on your chest (like in bed). Apparently the entire back of it is a magnet.

That surprises me. It clings to iron surfaces?

I cannot tell you, as I have never owned one. Just repeating what the Medtronic guy said.

He did mention that when testing for magnetism, a paper clip is the best choice. Being very light, it will respond to the slightest bit of magnetism. Rare earth magnets might pose a problem, though, getting paper clip back off the magnet.

When in doubt, mumble

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Glad you are both doing well and on the mend. Prayer sent and glad you have some good friends and neighbors. A real blessing they are.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
"interesting week" is quite an understatement. I'm glad both of you are on the mend and I'm praying for a quick recovery.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Henry--
Most things in medicine can only be treated, not fixed.
There are two things that can definitively be fixed: a broken femur and heart block.
Please don't go for the trifecta.

And for the rest of you out there: Henry's symptoms should have led to the ED right now, NOT the PCP. I know, I've done it, was reprimanded and sent (by ambulance) to the ED.
PCP's cannot deal with true medical emergencies.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Henry's symptoms should have led to the ED right now, NOT the PCP.

That was exactly the PCP's attitude, like WTF are you doing here, GO TO THE ED (across the hall). I had made the PCP appointment on an emergency "fit in" basis, unaware of the severity of my problem. 30 minutes in the ED and an EKG later, I was in the helicopter.

When in doubt, mumble

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
helluva week, glad yall made it thru and best wishes going forward,

re the pacemaker, for a few years we were buying guns and stuff from a guy we had known for a long time, he was a medical bits sales rep, and did a lot of work with pacemakers,
he had them in his house, shop, garaga etc, just randomly here and there (apparently he had samples, and did not turn them in when models changed?)

anyhoo, after looking at and making a deal on a handful of firearms one day (I'm an FFL if that matters) I picked up a small stainless steel device and asked what it was,

he told me pacemaker, showed me a few others, and we went about with business

fast forward a few years later and he had passed, his wife had us in to look at the rest of the stuff he had and he literally had pacemakers, all older models, stacked up in a closet like you or I would have cans of beans or ammo,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post