SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Walmart closing 269 stores
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walmart closing 269 stores Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
While Walmart has announced a few store closings lately, most notably in Portland, I think someone must have gotten confused by an old news story from when Walmart closed 269 stores back in 2016... (Or they knew it was from 2016, and purposely decided to run with it anyway, to generate clicks and revenue. Y'know, the usual clickbait stuff.)

YouTubers clickbaiting people? You don't say. Seriously, I hate these assholes with a passion.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Color me pleased. Walmart came into our community and drove out all the Mom and Pop shops.

I agree. Unfortunately, the stores in the smaller communities will probably not be included. I would love to see the small towns in my area return to family owned businesses.
Many years ago, there were at least 5 country stores within 5 minutes of my home. They are all gone.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
None of the stories I read cited thievery as a reason for the closings. Most speak of diminishing sales at brick and mortar stores. One story mentioned real estate costs as a reason, and another mentioned a shift to on-line sales.

One hundred and some of the closed stores are Walmart Express stores. WM is closing all of those. Those are small stores, and the Motley Fool reports that these were an unmitigated disaster from the start. They have no groceries (which are half of Wal Mart's sales) and people preferred the supercenters to the small stores. The company didn't have the knowledge of what to put in small stores and guessed wrong.

Theft is does not seem to be a significant component of this decision.

Again, this closing of 269 Walmart stores, including the failed Walmart Express experiment, happened in January 2016.

Twenty Sixteen.

In the year of our lord, two thousand and sixteen.

MMXVI

Ye olde news, from seven years ago, folks.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
None of the stories I read cited thievery as a reason for the closings. Most speak of diminishing sales at brick and mortar stores. One story mentioned real estate costs as a reason, and another mentioned a shift to on-line sales.

One hundred and some of the closed stores are Walmart Express stores. WM is closing all of those. Those are small stores, and the Motley Fool reports that these were an unmitigated disaster from the start. They have no groceries (which are half of Wal Mart's sales) and people preferred the supercenters to the small stores. The company didn't have the knowledge of what to put in small stores and guessed wrong.

Theft is does not seem to be a significant component of this decision.

Again, this closing of 269 Walmart stores, including the failed Walmart Express experiment, happened in January 2016.

Twenty Sixteen.

In the year of our lord, two thousand and sixteen.

MMXVI

Seven. Years. Ago.

My mistake.

So, there are a small number of closings planned in 2023. No report I read about those talked about theft.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Yawn. Big deal. So what.

wallymart closes stores often.

They close old stores that are not up to date and replace them with the newest style. This is especially true in the small towns. They build a brand new one nearby. This is often seen of the really old stores been there for 30 years or longer, no grocery sales to speak of, etc. Out with the old, in with the new. Look at the plight of small rural towns quite a ways from the bigger cities.

They close stores that didn't work out and build a new one not too far away that should perform better.

They close stores frequently that just don't cut the mustard.

However, they will start closing a few stores that are crime ridden, loitering and homeless problems, etc. Especially the ones that have such a big theft problem it eats up the profit from that particular store. We see that happen, not just in wallymart, but grocery stores, department stores, etc etc etc.

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walmart. Isn't this the company that stopped selling firearms and ammunition so as to not offend the sensitivities of a certain segment of their customers base AFTER after squeezing every possible cent out of their vendors and running many gun dealers out of business?

Yeah, fuck Walmart.

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
This really non-story illustrates perfectly why we should be careful accepting whatever "news" they present us as true, whether the organization is left or right. Here, it's the Daily Caller, or what appears to be them based on the logo. In this case, while the separate stories presented in the videos are true, the DC spliced and manipulated them to stir the pot and make money.

Here is the full list of Walmart stores closing in 2023, nationwide, TEN. The DC knew damn well the 269 stores closing were from 2016, not this year. But, they splashed that headline, even put their own banners, CAUSE AND EFFECT - WALMART ANNOUNCES IT'S CLOSING 269 STORES. CAN YOU GUESS WHY? and THE CLOSURE FOLLOWS THIS WARNING FROM WALMART'S CEO IN DECEMBER 2022, right over the spliced together video to imply that Walmart is shutting down all 269 stores this year because of unprosecuted thefts. Totally dishonest.

Like I said, I despise these assholes. Don't care which supposed political persuasion they are of.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
They do it because it works.

Look at how many people in this thread alone were so quick to just take it at face value and run with it. And I'd like to think (hope?) that most Sigforum members are smarter than the average bear, since we have a tendency to weed out some of those from the low end of the bell curve.

Truth and facts have become a far distant second to clicks and shares, and generating fake outrage or schadenfreude to the drive them.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
It appears it is a smaller number of stores than the title of the YouTube file states.

https://www.usatoday.com/story...st-2023/11419149002/

Arkansas

33701 SE Dodson Road, Bentonville, AR (Pickup location)

Washington DC

99 H Street NW, Washington DC

Florida:

6900 US Highway 19 North, Pinellas Park, FL (Neighborhood Market concept)

Illinois

17550 South Halsted St, Homewood, IL
12690 S. Route 59, Plainfield
840 N. McCormick Blvd, Lincolnwood (Pickup location)

New Mexico

301 San Mateo Blvd. SE, Albuquerque, NM

Oregon

4200 82nd Ave. SE, Portland, OR
1123 N Hayden Meadows Dr., Portland, OR

Wisconsin

10330 W. Silver Spring Dr., Milwaukee, WI

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Color me pleased. Walmart came into our community and drove out all the Mom and Pop shops.

Do you mean those mom and pop shops that shoplifted from your wallet?

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
While Walmart has announced a few store closings lately, most notably in Portland, I think someone must have gotten confused by an old news story from when Walmart closed 269 stores back in 2016... (Or they knew it was from 2016, and purposely decided to run with it anyway, to generate clicks and revenue. Y'know, the usual clickbait stuff.)

YouTubers clickbaiting people? You don't say. Seriously, I hate these assholes with a passion.

No man stop it. Everything on YouTube is real. And it’s double secret serious real if the still has a big red X over whatever the topic is, some dude posing with an astonished look on his face and both palms pressed against his head like he was doing a Home Alone parody, or it says “take a deep breath before…….. blah blah blah”.

It’s funny how gullible people are when they WANT to believe something. YouTube is 99.9 percent click bait garbage on news and informational pieces. It’s right about as much as the MSM. It’s about to the point between Alphabet's war on free speech and actual information, that the remaining content is the equivalent of gun shop chatter or food from a dive bar.
If I see an attached YouTube video on a topic, and the still has any of the drama Queen click bait indicators, I will not give them what the treasure the most…..another click to profit from.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
This youtube posted is nothing but youtube click bait bullshit. Cherry picked clips from last week here around PDX to as far back as 2016. I like youtube but not the click bait assholes.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Grocery stores operate on a average of 20% of most any product you see on the shelf. No way would they even be able to keep the lights on at 3%. We distribute two coffee brands to over 20 grocery stores in our area. They all operate on minimum 20% to 26% profit on each package sold. Plus we deliver, stock the shelves and credit out any stale or damaged product. So free labor besides. Walmart squeezed us out three years ago. Rather than take our free labor they wanted the product cheaper by cutting the independent distributor out.

They strong armed the manufacturer by saying they either sell direct to Walmart at a reduced cost or their product would not be on their shelves. So we lost three Walmart accounts which hit the bottom line for our business. This is how Walmart operates across the board with all their suppliers. Either give us the price we want or you don't get in the door. That's why you can buy something at Walmart and a month later it's gone.

On occasion when I do have to go into Walmart for something I get a chuckle when I go by the coffee section. The coffee we used to deliver and take care for them is a mess. Half the slots are empty and the shelf is a general mess and the price is the same when we delivered it so they did not pass the extra savings on to the customer. Not the same company Sam Walton founded. Yeah fuck Walmart.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
quote:

Huh? What does this mean?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am SO glad that I am 66 y.o..

I don't want to hazard a guess as to what a six y.o. kid will be experiencing as "normal"
50 years from now.

Right now 12% of the bad people are spoiling life for the good.

If the the bad people keep spoiling it for the good people keeps growing at a rate of 2.5% per year. . . . . . .
I can't do the math

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The forum doesn't go back to 2016, but I believe this was discussed back then. ZSMICHAEL's post below was from 2017.

quote:

There is a standing joke here, of three hundred Walmart stores closing, and three cashiers losing their jobs.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
The forum doesn't go back to 2016, but I believe this was discussed back then.

Yep, when it was actually relevant recent news, and not old news dredged back up years later to generate clickbait hysteria.

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:
quote:

I'm assuming he's referring to the higher prices normally associated with Mom & Pop stores compared to Walmart's "low" prices for massively bulk purchased, (mostly) Chinese junk.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:
quote:

I'm assuming he's referring to the higher prices normally associated with Mom & Pop stores compared to Walmart's "low" prices for massively bulk purchased, (mostly) Chinese junk.

You know what breaks my fuckin’ heart?
After growing up in a family where a man (my dad) put his own balls on the line and ran his own family business, and then marrying a man who does the same…
..it’s realizing that the general population thinks we are ripping them off versus getting paid what it’s worth for the product that we deliver. No, chances are we can’t get the exact same thing for the exact same price unless the manufacture has rigid pricing- IOW, no I can’t buy 25,000 units, get a price break, turn that around and offer it to my “customer”. If I could I would. When I can, I do. People that think like this (Ogie) are the reason that small businesses are fading away in the blink of an eye.

You don’t want individual care? You don’t want customized product? You don’t want educated and trained staff? That all costs money. And even then the margins are tight. Those of us that choose to do it, do it because we want the independence of making our own choices instead of being dictated to, and we hope that the people that choose to come to us think likewise.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The tiny town grocery store just got sold again.

After 27 years the owners said enough.
A family from Chicago purchased it,
Well they found out that it was absolutely nothing like their five stores in and around cook county.
So they just sold it after 14 months to three fellas from nearby quad cities, of the east Indian persuasion.

With a Wal Mart only 12 miles away the tiny town grocery is always 30% more expensive.

I gotta wonder what business model they will utilize.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post