SIGforum
Walmart closing 269 stores

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/7000092994

March 10, 2023, 09:40 AM
Rightwire
Walmart has announced closing 269 stores. This on the heels of the CEO issuing a warning about out of control shoplifting.

A few takeways from this:
- Shoplifting sprees are out of control
- Walmart disciplining employees from stopping thefts
- Law enforcement/District Attorneys not wanting to prosecute shoplifting crimes
- "Trying to starve the black neighborhoods" Maybe if your neighbors would stop robbing the stores blind they can make a profit and stay open.

A store must be able to make a profit to remain open. When more merchandise is walking out the door not being paid for, than being paid for, the business cannot survive. How is this so hard to understand??

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.
March 10, 2023, 09:44 AM
smschulz
How racist? right? Roll Eyes

What are you expecting them to do?
March 10, 2023, 09:51 AM
Edmond
Not sure on retail but my understanding is grocery stores operate on very little profit, somewhere around 3%.

What the idiots don't realize is that when you steal, loot and damage in your own neighborhood, you still gotta live in that shit hole. They are cutting their own noses.

March 10, 2023, 09:55 AM
darthfuster
Years from now when these low morals places find themselves without services, the agitators will displace blame. It will be racism, prejudice, YTs fault; anything but facing the real truth. When a community burns and loots itself into poverty with no viable solution, the only option is to abandon that community and let it slide into 3rd world status. It's most distressing that society won't address the core problem which make it unsolvable.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier
March 10, 2023, 09:57 AM
kz1000
Actions have consequences.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris
March 10, 2023, 10:01 AM
abnmacv
Two closed in lawless Portland, Oregon. Like the Nike store on the city's MLK Ave. that couldn't make it due to theft.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member
March 10, 2023, 10:11 AM
Pipe Smoker
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
<snip>
What the idiots don't realize is that when you steal, loot and damage in your own neighborhood, you still gotta live in that shit hole. They are cutting their own noses.

Not necessarily. They can go to a nicer neighborhood and turn it into a shit hole.

Serious about crackers
March 10, 2023, 10:23 AM
Rightwire
Lets not forget the aggressive tactics that Walmart used to enter markets.

I have heard of many cities where Walmart made public statements declaring that if Walmart wasn't allowed in, Police and Fire wouldn't be able to survive due to lack of revenue and the city would fail. In essence, Walmart was saving you...

... from a problem you didn't have.

In my home town, this was immediately met with public outcry. City was in excellent shape. Police and Fire were well funded and at the top of their game. It was a great place to be. Walmart continued to rhetoric. Then they had one final trick move. When it came time for the citizens to vote, Walmart managed the get the ballet for the zoning change for the store location to be worded such that voting NO actually meant yes you approved, and voting YES meant no you didn't. Well most people didn't read the ballot and the zoning passed by a narrow margin.

I have little sympathy for Walmart as they have in many ways done this to themselves.

I do have sympathy for all of the legitimate customers, the employees of the stores, the distribution centers that service those stores, and the vendors that supply product to those stores who are now at risk for their jobs.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.
March 10, 2023, 10:27 AM
chellim1
quote:
When a community burns and loots itself into poverty with no viable solution, the only option is to abandon that community and let it slide into 3rd world status.

That's where we are headed with many of these cities.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor
March 10, 2023, 10:29 AM
71 TRUCK
What can they do, how about hire armed or non armed guards that can detain people till the police arrive.

I do not know if they still do this however not that long ago Target near me used to have security at the exit. I watched a security guard hand cuffing someone who tried to leave the store without paying.

I live in central Florida. There is a Chinese/Asian supermarket about an hour from where I live. My wife and I would go to the store after going to the gun show at the Central Florida fair grounds. They had an armed guard at the exit. If a single store can afford to do it why can't a store like Walmart afford to do it.

People say the city will not prosecute, I say have them arrested anyway then don't allow them entry to the store ever again, if you have to post a picture of them at the entrance for security to keep an eye out for then so be it.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member
March 10, 2023, 10:47 AM
parabellum
I'm not so sure the figure of 269 stores is accurate. I find a handful- seven or so. Portland, Illinois, New Mexico, etc.

Whatever the current figure, I'm certain there will be more closings. When you have Democrat-controlled cities in which the DAs won't prosecute shoplifters, it's a losing proposition for any business.
March 10, 2023, 10:50 AM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I'm not so sure the figure of 269 stores is accurate. I find a handful- seven or so. Portland, Illinois, New Mexico, etc.

While Walmart has announced a few store closings lately, most notably in Portland, I think someone must have gotten confused by an old news story from when Walmart closed 269 stores back in 2016... (Or they knew it was from 2016, and purposely decided to run with it anyway, to generate clicks and revenue. Y'know, the usual clickbait stuff.)

See https://www.5newsonline.com/ar...b0-a4ac-b9a0d35c5894, published January 15, 2016.

That mass closure of 269 stores (of which only 154 were in the US) from 7 years ago wasn't the result of shoplifting or lax prosecution. Rather, it was primarily due to the abandonment at that time of Walmart's failed small-format "Walmart Express" experiment. That represented about half of the closed stores. Most of the other half were non-US stores, due to Walmart scaling down their Latin American footprint.

But again, that "269 closings" story is from back in 2016.
March 10, 2023, 11:06 AM
Perception
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
What can they do, how about hire armed or non armed guards that can detain people till the police arrive.

I do not know if they still do this however not that long ago Target near me used to have security at the exit. I watched a security guard hand cuffing someone who tried to leave the store without paying.

I live in central Florida. There is a Chinese/Asian supermarket about an hour from where I live. My wife and I would go to the store after going to the gun show at the Central Florida fair grounds. They had an armed guard at the exit. If a single store can afford to do it why can't a store like Walmart afford to do it.

People say the city will not prosecute, I say have them arrested anyway then don't allow them entry to the store ever again, if you have to post a picture of them at the entrance for security to keep an eye out for then so be it.

Localities that give shoplifters and other criminals a pass are also generally the worst about allowing you to protect yourself or your property. A strange game. The only winning move is not to play, and that's what the stores are doing.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."
March 10, 2023, 12:06 PM
HRK
quote:

It's a good idea to google things like this, and check dates, these things are easy traps in emails.

Think we have a thread about checking sources before posting things, a simple googling of "Walmart closing 269 stores" and the first response indicates this is from 2016.

quote:
Three Wal-Mart stores in North Florida will close this month after the company announced the closing of 269 stores worldwide, including 154 in the country. The stores closing are 1113 State Road 20, in Interlachen, 1209 E. Wade St., in Trenton and 15726 SE US 19, in Cross City. Jan 15, 2016

Link

March 10, 2023, 12:11 PM
trapper189
No receipt, no surrender!
March 10, 2023, 12:27 PM
V-Tail
Most of the customers for my small business are Ace Hardware stores.

It was maybe 20 years ago, give or take, that I was making the scheduled re-supply visit to some of the stores in the Daytona area. Arrived at the Port Orange store, found the doors locked, and a "to whom it may concern . . . fuck you very much" letter taped to the inside of the glass door.

The letter clearly stated that the store had been serving the neighborhood for many years, had donated $$$ in support of community stuff like Little League, Childrens' Miracle Network, etc., and the store was rewarded for this by thousands of dollars lost to shoplifting each month.

The letter basically said, "We're done. Go find somebody else to steal from."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
March 10, 2023, 12:29 PM
ZSMICHAEL
Color me pleased. Walmart came into our community and drove out all the Mom and Pop shops.
March 10, 2023, 01:01 PM
cparktd
That would be roughly 2-1/2 percent of the US stores.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.
March 10, 2023, 01:01 PM
bigwagon
I guess these big corporations are not as woke as they claim to be. If they were, they'd just chalk the losses up to doing their part to ensure diversity, inclusion and equitable outcomes for the systematically repressed.
March 10, 2023, 01:22 PM
jhe888
None of the stories I read cited thievery as a reason for the closings. Most speak of diminishing sales at brick and mortar stores. One story mentioned real estate costs as a reason, and another mentioned a shift to on-line sales.

One hundred and some of the closed stores are Walmart Express stores. WM is closing all of those. Those are small stores, and the Motley Fool reports that these were an unmitigated disaster from the start. They have no groceries (which are half of Wal Mart's sales) and people preferred the supercenters to the small stores. The company didn't have the knowledge of what to put in small stores and guessed wrong.

Theft is does not seem to be a significant component of this decision.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.