SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Scuba Diving Liveaboard Disaster in Southern California (34 dead)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scuba Diving Liveaboard Disaster in Southern California (34 dead) Login/Join 
Picture of steve495
posted
Disaster is an understatement. Dozens of families today are experiencing unimaginable pain.

‘Multiple Fatalities’ Reported After Boat Catches Fire Off California Coast

quote:
According to the U.S. Coast Guard Los Angeles, a 75-foot dive boat caught fire near Santa Cruz Island early Saturday morning. While an exact number of fatalities have not been released, officials say 34 passengers remain unaccounted for.

The steel [nope, it's wood] boat burned to the waterline and sank. If this was an engine fire (below the guest accommodation deck) it most likely would have been extinguished by the fire suppression system and guests would have been able to escape up to the galley and dive deck.

If the fire started in the galley and spread really fast, guests may not have been able to escape up the stairs. From what I understand, there were additional hatches to escape up from the guest accommodations. If the fire spread fast above...

There was speculation about an explosion in the galley - propane?

I'm thinking the generator and dive compressors / membrane system would have been below the waterline beneath the berths. Even if the boat did a lot of Oxygen on board, it's not like those tanks just explode on their own.

In 1989, the US Iowa disaster killed 47. I recall a Mississippi River ferry sinking and killing dozens a long time ago, but can not remember when. 1970s?

As a side note, the local TV news reporting I was watching in S. Cal was horrendous. Speculating about the cause. Constantly stating Nitrox tanks are dangerous and extremely flammable. [WRONG] Stating the crew sleeps near the engine. [Wrong] No wonder I never watch TV news anymore, just gets me all worked up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: steve495,

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4992 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
From what I understand, there were additional hatches to escape up from the guest accommodations. If the fire spread fast above...

This is a quote from the Mayday call. I think those poor folks were 100% screwed.

Man: “Roger, there’s 33 people that’s on board the vessel that’s on fire. They can’t get off.”

Dispatch: “Roger, are they locked inside the boat? Roger, can you get back on board and unlock the boat, unlock the door so they can get off? Roger, you don’t have any firefighting gear, no fire extinguishers or anything?”

Dispatch: “Roger, is this the captain of the Conception?”

Man: “Roger”

Dispatch: “Was that all the crew that jumped off?”

Man: “Roger”

Dispatch: “Is the vessel fully engulfed now?”

Man: “Roger, and there’s no escape hatch for any of the people on board.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
Man: “Roger, and there’s no escape hatch for any of the people on board.”[/i]

That transcript is incorrect. The Coast Guard was asking a question...

quote:
CG: Roger, and there's no escape hatch for any of the people on board?

The USCG did ask...

quote:
CG: Roger, are they locked inside the boat?

Vessel: (Unintelligible)

CG: Roger, can you get back on board and unlock the doors so they can get off?

The transcript you provided was only the Coast Guard side of the conversation, the transcript was pulled from Broadcastify and did not pick up the boat's transmissions.

That's one of the issues I have with the reporting of this event. Nobody seems to get anything correct. (No offense)

From what I understand, the boat's staircase up did not have a door or it was open. Plus, boats of that design would be required to have at least a second egress point, but that may have been inaccessible. (Those interviewed who had been on the boat in the past did mention an additional hatch.) Also, multiple people who have been on the boat for trips specifically mentioned a hatch at the back of the birthing area.

I've seen video of the berthing compartment. It's close quarters, but standard for that type of boat.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4992 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I have dove off that boat , the boat is made of wood not steel, the sleeping quarters are below the kitchen in the belly of the boat you have to go down a very steep stair case to get to the bunk room as I recall there were two staircases and one escape hatch above one of the center row bunks.

The bunks are very cramped. if a fire did break out in the kitchen or a gas explosion you were pretty much trapped. The boat leaves at night and makes the trek to the channel islands, it takes about 4 hrs to get there as I recall. the first night on the trip over was enough for me the second and third night I slept outside on the top deck near the wheel house where the crew sleeps.

the company is a first class operation and our local dive shop has had hundreds of trips with them.there is no locked door to the sleeping quarters. here is a video I found on youtube of the layout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qygqVNJdeyA

Posts: 5600 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
Hell of a way to go. That's my number one fear of how to die.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Such a sad day for the diving community and anyone that spends time on the water.

I've never been on that boat but have spent a good amount of time on dive boats including liveaboards.

Fire is the scariest thing on a ship. Fire at night when you asleep is one of the worst things that can happen.

I've heard the mayday call and it is chilling.

Thoughts and prayer to the families of everyone on board.

Here is a link to the vessel.

https://www.truthaquatics.com/conception/

It was charter by World Wide Diving who I have met a few of their people.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16404 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a very tragic situation, 34 guests died. The crew of 5 are alive because they were sleeping outside on the deck. A friend of mine knows the boat and has been on it. It is made of wood. The sleeping quarters consisted of one large room with a bunch of bunks in it for all of the people. There was only 1 entrance/exit and it was 2 sets of steep stairs that you then have to go through the galley to get out. Generally on a boat a fire origionates either in the engine room or the galley. It's a very very unfortunate situation and there was no way for the people to escape.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My local dive club returned from a trip on it just over a month ago. We typically charter it every July. I've not been able to go out on it myself. The board of the club has a meeting this week, and they have indicated they want to make some gesture of assistance to them.

Our local TV station has two people who have been out on it, and both were quick to state that this is a well-run operation. As with any operation, there may be items noted on inspections, but anything noted was fixed timely.

Here is a link to the story and video of the TV staff:

https://www.kcra.com/article/l...-california/28892825

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
There was only 1 entrance/exit and it was 2 sets of steep stairs that you then have to go through the galley to get out.

There is another emergency exit above an upper bunk.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Jesus Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:
There was only 1 entrance/exit and it was 2 sets of steep stairs that you then have to go through the galley to get out.

This is how it was described to me by my friend who has been on it and is a yacht owner. I don't know the boat and have never been on it.

Otto Pilots transcript of the Mayday call seems to confirm they had no way out.

Here are some pictures of the original build of the boat
www.seawayboats.net/-conception-.html

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:

This is how it was described to me by my friend who has been on it and is a yacht owner. I don't know the boat and have never been on it.

Otto Pilots transcript of the Mayday call seems to confirm they had no way out.

Here are some pictures of the original build of the boat
www.seawayboats.net/-conception-.html

I'm not going to speculate but there is another exit.

Here is the original mayday call.

There was another boat close by with an older couple sleeping on board. The crew that escaped woke them up. The other Mayday call may have come from that boat but that's just speculation.

The stairway has no doors. There is nothing to lock between the galley and the berthing area.

Lets not spread rumors. There was alot of loss of life here. Shockingly the media reports are not 100% accurate.

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Can someone explain what type of diving was done from a boat of this type, how it is used, why there were 'passengers' for those who aren't divers (yet)

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37986 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Can someone explain what type of diving was done from a boat of this type, how it is used, why there were 'passengers' for those who aren't divers (yet)

Most dive charters you get on in the morning, go out, do two dives and come back.

Liveaboard you sleep on. Usually, they go out for a week but some like this one or are shorts times, some are longer. Most are based in other countries.

There are used for a few reasons. Sometimes to get to locatons you just can not do in a day. They also make diving really easy. Your get often stays setup on the "dive deck". You sleep, eat and dive from the boat. No need to drag your gear on and off a boat every day.

Normally it's just normal diving. Most do to reefs and such. This was not set up for tec diving as far as I know.

Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

some people sight see and take pictures , when the season is open lobster dives and some spear fish. if you want to pay the fee you can go with and watch if you would like. most of the people wear wetsuits drysuits as the water is not super warm.

here is a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEiQbA-McaE

this is the companys video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzkeONQIp_g

Posts: 5600 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
How tragic. Just terrible.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19199 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waiting to get more information, I've got a few friends that went down there this weekend. Truth Auqatics has some of the best reputation in the dive world, one of the best operators around. Can only imagine dealing with a fire, on board a ship, all asleep....just terrible.

Some more information https://losangeles.cbslocal.co...e-santa-cruz-island/

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Below deck with fire above them...what a horrible way to die.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A tragic loss of life.

I’ve been diving from their other boats, Vision & Truth. Well run in my experience.
Camping at sea, sleeping bag in wood bunk below deck. Meals in the large galley. You dive as much as you want, within recreational limits. You bring 1 cylinder which they refill between dives. Diving in the kelp or with sea lions is really quite lovely.

News link: https://www.latimes.com/califo...Gvy5aAsCo9-7TyOWD2DI

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tragic. I remember back in the late 70's (?) when Conception was launched. State of the art back then, and anyone that has been diving for any time knows that charter even if you never have been diving on the west coast.

Truth Aquatics has been in business since the early 70's, they were live aboard pioneers in the industry.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post