SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I bought a used Iphone here as a back up
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I bought a used Iphone here as a back up Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I think it is a 6. I figured it would be cheap insurance in case my motorola died, which it just did. Now I find it it was sold to me without a SIM card, doh!
I am thinking that makes it useless. Please educate me on it since I know little about them. Am i screwed in terms of being able to use it?

Thanks guys and gals.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your Motorola has a SIM card replace in the iPhone. If it doesn’t you can get a SIM card from your cellular service provider.

Posts: 364 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I figured they are unique to manufactuerers. I have a samsung. Will it work?

Nope won't fit!

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I have moved SIM cards between androids and iphones with no issues.

Is your old sim card too small or too big?

If it's too small, you should be able to get an adapter.

If it's too big, you can try cutting your sim card to fit but I wouldn't recommend this.

Last thing is to take your SIM card to your carrier and ask them to give you another one that fits your newer phone.

My son has lost two phones jumping out of planes (he knows he's not supposed to bring his phone) and he runs up to tmobile with a backup phone and they charge him $10 for a new sim card programmed with his number.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
ORC, a SIM card is like a license plate - you can always transfer it between phones, as long as both work in the same networks (99% of phones sold in the US do, so you should have no issues)

Take the sim out of your old phone, put it in the new one. If it’s the wrong size, go to the store for your cell provider and they will give you a new one.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
OK guys. The card from my galaxy SS was to big for the Iphone. I will take it to verizon and see if I can still get one for this older Iphone. I should not of assumed I was getting a working phone. Mad
I appreciate the response's.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 364 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An Apple iPhone 6 uses a Nano sized SIM Card.

It looks like a Micro SIM card could be carefully trimmed to fit the tray for a Nano SIM card.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Good stuff, well done. Ty!
quote:

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
The license plate explanation if pretty good. When you buy an old mobile phone, you wouldn't get the last guys SIM, as it's burned with his account info and would be (may be if not canceled yet) activated on his plan.

Your carrier should be able to give you a SIM for the iPhone. I think they just keep getting smaller nowadays.

Posts: 11388 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
The license plate explanation if pretty good. Your carrier should be able to give you a SIM for the iPhone. I think they just keep getting smaller nowadays.

Smaller as in none. Future iPhones will be dual eSim, no physical sim or slot for one.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
OK guys. The card from my galaxy SS was to big for the Iphone. I will take it to verizon and see if I can still get one for this older Iphone. I should not of assumed I was getting a working phone. Mad
Even if the phone included a used SIM card it would not have worked for you.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:

The seller probably needed to keep his SIM card to use in his new phone.

I’ve bought numerous used iPhones and never received one with a SIM card.

Posts: 26906 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:

It sounds as if the phone works, but not the service. You are making it sound as if the seller wasn't honest with you?

Verizon should have no problem programming a new sim card for you if you are paying for service.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The SIM is associated with the account, so the previous iPhone owner's SIM would not do you any good.

More to the point: If this is an iPhone 6, I doubt that you will be able to get service with it. I think that as of this year, the oldest model iPhone that can be used with Verizon is the 6S, which is one generation newer than the 6. The 6 has an older chipset that is no longer supported by Verizon.

I have an iPhone 6, it can not be used for phone service any longer. I use it on wifi networks sort of as a small iPad, it works fine for that, and I keep it on my nightstand to use as an alarm clock.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You will need to go to your carrier to get a new SIM card for that iPhone. Whenever I sell an iPhone, the SIM card gets removed and destroyed.

The fact that you got one without a SIM is perfectly normal.

Posts: 33814 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
ok guys thanks. Lots I did not know obviously. According to Vtail I may be dead in the water anyways. How do I know what phone it is for sure. I do not see any markings on it that tell me?

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
ok guys thanks. Lots I did not know obviously. According to Vtail I may be dead in the water anyways. How do I know what phone it is for sure. I do not see any markings on it that tell me?

Settings -> General -> About -> Model Name

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Another thing. Do I need a passcode for this thing and if so, how do I get that?

How do I get to "settings"?

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Follow the trail in Mark123's post, above. Once you're looking at the "About" page, get the IMEI -- write it down, be sure to copy carefully, it's a string of more than a dozen numbers.

Now, go to the website of the carrier where you want service, Verizon, or any other carrier.

That website should have a link to service plans, where you Bring Your Own Device (BYOD). You will be able to enter the IMEI that you copied from the iPhone's "About" page.

The little gnomes who live behind the web page will check for you, and give you a response telling you whether or not that particular phone is supported by that carrier.

If yes, there should be an offer of some sort of "getting started" kit, that will include a SIM for that phone. Cost will probably be less than ten bucks, might even be free.

Tip: If you have internet service through Comcast or Spectrum, you can get great cell phone service, as an add-on through them for twelve or fourteen bucks / month. Their service rides on the Verizon cellular network.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post