SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2023 Chicken coop project
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2023 Chicken coop project Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted
Hey folks. The girls (can't have roosters in town) needed a new insulated coop for the upcoming winter. So, here is our attempt to provide them a nice domicile for the colder parts of fall and winter here in commie Colorado. I would probably have done a few things differently, but had to follow the wife's input to keep her happy. She helped with most of the project, and did some on her own when I was out aviating.

Please post some pics of your hens domiciles too.

Here is the base and first wall. I did purchase some straight 2 x 4s for just the base. We have sourced most of the wood for this project by dumpster diving, and grabbing free stuff or cheaply priced pieces at yard sales.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: coloradohunter44,

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
Here is the back wall, framed and skinned.

Another wall up

And this makes 3.

Did I mention we did spend money for a solid metal roof? Like $56 at Lowes.

Today we added the nesting box, and some trim.

Inside view. We are adding foam insulation which will be covered in case it tastes good.. and one or two windows. It will have a small brooder heater for the cold days. Wifey has been painting it as we go. Says it has to look nice.

I'll add more pics as we finish it up.

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Here's mine. Put it up last year. Never did get around to painting it. Maybe this fall...

You really shouldn't need to insulate it. Although I did put a small hen house heater in there last winter, it didn't do much. There were many nights below freezing and we had a stretch of 20-30 below and they did just fine. The coldest it got inside the coop was -10 one night. They just puff up their feathers and huddle together to stay warm. You just have to collect the eggs before they freeze.

Posts: 20101 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
Here is where they spend summers days. Lots of shade and area to roam. The small coop works well for warmer times of the years.

take screen shot

This message has been edited. Last edited by: coloradohunter44,

FBLM LGB!

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Here's mine. Put it up last year. Never did get around to painting it. Maybe this fall...

You really shouldn't need to insulate it. Although I did put a small hen house heater in there last winter, it didn't do much. There were many nights below freezing and we had a stretch of 20-30 below and they did just fine. The coldest it got inside the coop was -10 one night. They just puff up their feathers and huddle together to stay warm. You just have to collect the eggs before they freeze.

Nice looking setup.

FBLM LGB!

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post

More paint, and first window installed. Its's coming along nicely.

FBLM LGB!

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Dang, those girls have themselves a condo!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39754 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I had to read the thread title a couple of times while scratching my head.

This is a coupe:

This is a coop:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30672 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Super Coop?

Or Super Coupe?

Posts: 27963 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

Super Coop?

Or Super Coupe?
How about a Supra Coupe?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30672 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

Super Coop?

Or Super Coupe?
How about a Supra Coupe?

Thanks! I stand thankfully corrected.

FBLM LGB!

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:

Thanks! I stand thankfully corrected.
It's all in fun. Never miss an opportunity to pull a friend's chain. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Surprised momma didn't make you paint the AC plywood spacer white while you have the paint out LOL... Mine would have.....

Looks great, do you plan to cover the insulation with some wood to keep them from pecking at it and tearing it up, or is that necessary.. Maybe some paneling to keep them away from it and water off it when you hose out the coop....

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Surprised momma didn't make you paint the AC plywood spacer white while you have the paint out LOL... Mine would have.....

Looks great, do you plan to cover the insulation with some wood to keep them from pecking at it and tearing it up, or is that necessary.. Maybe some paneling to keep them away from it and water off it when you hose out the coop....

We have a sheet of very thin plastic much thinner than paneling we will be gluing on top of the insulation. Make it easy to clean and keep them from tearing it up. Got it at Lowes as well.

FBLM LGB!

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post

Today's progress. Now to cut the small door opening and install the door on the west side for the ladies to access the soon to be built small chicken run.

FBLM LGB!

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
How do they open the door with the latch way up there?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
How do they open the door with the latch way up there?

They are very athletic, they can really jump high with assistance from their wings.

FBLM LGB!

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
Got the door to the run built. Next comes the run. Still in the planning stages on it.

FBLM LGB!

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
That is quite the coop! Hope you don't wake up some morning and find it occupied by squatters, instant Bed and Breakfast!

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have a sheet of very thin plastic much thinner than paneling we will be gluing on top of the insulation. Make it easy to clean and keep them from tearing it up. Got it at Lowes as well.

Nice, figured it would need to be covered, since washing the place out from time to time will be necessary and you don't want that insulation soaking up water,

Speaking of soaking up water, you might want to cut the bottom of the insulation up about an inch off the floor, it's not going to hurt the R factor but it will keep it from soaking up any water that does get past the plastic, saving the insulation and eliminating the chance of mold.

Great job on the build

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post