SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Disney's Magic Kingdom beefing up security; Mass transit screenings may mean more time in line
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disney's Magic Kingdom beefing up security; Mass transit screenings may mean more time in line Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted
http://www.al.com/news/index.s...ml#incart_river_home

Disney's Magic Kingdom is making security changes that could mean more time in line before you get into the Happiest Place on Earth.

The Orlando theme park is moving the security line outside the park entrance to its Transportation and Ticket center, so guests will be screened as soon as they get off the tram from the parking lot, The Orlando Sentinel reported.

The change means the screenings will take place before guests board park security.

In a statement to WFTV, a Disney World official said the changes were part of an "ongoing effort to enhance the arrival experience for guests at the entrance to Magic Kingdom park."

The new screening sites will be operational by April 3, according to Walt Disney World News Today.

For guests taking buses and watercraft, the screenings will take place at the front of the park. Guests at the Transportation and Ticket Center, a major hub for visitors, will be checked after they leave the parking tram but before they board the monorail or ferryboat to the park. Thousands of people use Disney transportation daily and the move appears aimed at beefing security aboard the park's mass transit systems, possible targets for terrorists.

Additional screenings are being added before monorail boarding at the Magic Kingdom resorts along the transportation line, WDW News Today reported.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like a good idea to disperse the screening sites a bit. More efficient at the park gate and less people bunched up in one place.

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Disney has been looking to push out their security parameter for awhile. Friend of mine works for them in Burbank and said there's the typical internal struggles between departments; marketing and sales wants one thing, security wants their needs met and then operations wants something altogether different.

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
...the Happiest Place on Earth...
God, how obscene.

Posts: 109047 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Additional screenings are being added before monorail boarding at the Magic Kingdom resorts

Umm...go up the escalator at the Contemporary to the monorail and get ready to be frisked?

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
Nope.
The happiest place on earth is not a big money sucking hole..

They can keep the lines, the frisking and the crowds.

GGF

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GGF:
Nope.
The happiest place on earth is not a big money sucking hole...
...with vicious and very aggressive lawyers who will fuck a little guy if there is even one chance that he made half a fucking penny off of the Disney name.

Never. I will never give these evil worms any of my money.

Disney Corp is disgusting. This is not what Walt Disney had in mind.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
It was different in the 80s before Eisner turned the company into a money sucking hole.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Lemme see here:

Crowds
Heat
Crowds
Humidity
Crowds
Noise
Crowds
Expensive Attractions
Crowds
Expensive Accomodations
Crowds
Expensive Food
Crowds
Travel
Crowds
Lines Big Grin
Crowds

And now Security Theatre?

Uh, I'll pass...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15489 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Lemme see here:

Crowds
Heat
Crowds
Humidity
Crowds
Noise
Crowds
Expensive Attractions
Crowds
Expensive Accomodations
Crowds
Expensive Food
Crowds
Travel
Crowds

Uh, I'll pass...

Lines. You forgot the lines.

Posts: 11612 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I live exactly five miles from Disney, and haven't been there in the past ten years. God willing, and the sun rises in the east tomorrow, I'll never have to step foot on their property ever again. And the "Happiest place on earth"? Not by a long shot.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Soooo glad I never will set foot into their place again.

I love how they spin everything as to "enhance" the guest experience -suuuuure it does Roll Eyes only thing they give a rats ass about is separating you from your coin to "enhance" their coffers.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11220 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

Those are merely semi-organized crowds. And I think he mentioned crowds once or twice. Wink

Posts: 33038 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

Those are merely semi-organized crowds. And I think he mentioned crowds once or twice. Wink

Crowds are everywhere, but the lines are a special feature of Disney that warrant their own category. The first time we went, we got there at 9:00 and waited in line to park the car. Then we waited in line to get on the tram after which we waited in line to get our tickets at the will call window. Then we waited in line to get on the ferry after which we waited in line to get through security. Next we waited in line to present our tickets to get in the park. Once in the park, we waited in line to ride the merry go round. Since it was now 11:45, we decided to wait in line to get into a restaurant, wait in line to get food, and wait in line to get a table. Then we waited in line to throw out our trash. It was now 1:15 and we decided to wait in line to get some fast passes to make our next line waiting experience a bit shorter.

So, yeah. Lines are a special part of the Disney experience and worthy of separate mention from the crowds and "line" is in the thread title.

Posts: 11612 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Utter insanity. Willingly, you stand in line after line so that these thieves can bugger you and steal your wallet.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Lemme see here:

Crowds
Heat
Crowds
Humidity
Crowds
Noise
Crowds
Expensive Attractions
Crowds
Expensive Accomodations
Crowds
Expensive Food
Crowds
Travel
Crowds
Lines Big Grin
Crowds

Uh, I'll pass...

That doesn't spell FUN to you? Big Grin

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MPB:

That doesn't spell FUN to you? Big Grin

Well, my wife claims I'm a party pooper, so there's that.

What it spells to me is FABOT.

Fuck A BUNCH Of That!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15489 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post