SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cell phone hacked
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cell phone hacked Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
Just a heads up for all of you:
Saturday 11/21 I got an Android update on my Samsung phone. Went ahead and okayed it and it did it's thing. Sunday 11/22 I went use my camera on the phone, app opened very briefly with the message "Security policy restricts the use of camera". Did online chat with Samsung Tech, they could only assume it was faulty update and that it would be correctled shortly.
Monday I tried to save a screen shot and that also would not work.
Tuesday afternoon I called T-mobile tech and was told that I had been hacked. He didn't waste any time coming up with that idea, said he had over a hundred calls of same/similar problems.
Said T-mobile would send out a replacement phone at no cost. My phone is only about 4 or 5 months old.
Per UPS it was to be here by 9pm Wednesday night but they didn't make it. Probably get it Friday.
I don't store any banking or CC info on my phone so I hope I am safe on that front.
Just thought I would pass on information in case anybody else gets a sudden problem with any apps or if you find some new unrequested apps on you phone.

There is a couple of videos on YouTube that gives some info what to look for when it comes to cell phone hacks.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4136 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
[quot]
Saturday 11/21 I got an Android update on my Samsung phone. Went ahead and okayed it and it did it's thing. Sunday 11/22[/quote]

I got same double-update, never happened before. SO FAR, no identified glitches, but I too do NOT keep any banking data on my phone.

Also just had a couple odd MS10 security alerts & a very strange email from unknown asking whether I had amazon account.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
1st problem, Android is like Swiss cheese with privacy.

2nd problem, ugh I hate Apple. but use it.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
which samsung phone?

Posts: 2217 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
Honestly - I would suspect bad update before hack,
and that Tmobile is covering their screw-up since phone updates for carrier bought phones come from the carrier.

It doesnt make sense to me that they are replacing phones for a problem they didn't cause.

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
which samsung phone?

A-11 but they are sending an A-20 for replacement.

Posts: 4136 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah it's a bad update. Otherwise T-Mobile wouldn't be replacing your phone on their dime!

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyrich:
and that Tmobile is covering their screw-up since phone updates for carrier bought phones come from the carrier.

It doesnt make sense to me that they are replacing phones for a problem they didn't cause.

I thought the same thing. I did not question it.

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
which samsung phone?

9+

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:
1st problem, Android is like Swiss cheese with privacy.

I tend to agree with this, but...

quote:
Originally posted by eyrich:

... I suspect it's more likely this ^^^^^

This is one of the problem, perhaps the greatest problem, with the Android platform. Other than the "pure Android" devices, here's what happens:

1. Google/Alphabet comes out with an updated or new Android version
  2. Manufacturers gets the new software, then modify it to their tastes
  3. Carriers gets the modified versions of Android from the manufacturers, then further-modifies them to their tastes

It's a software development/distribution model that could hardly be more ripe for flaws. As an ex-software developer it makes me shudder. And it's one of the reasons I was happy to see Android in the rear-view mirror.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

It's a software development/distribution model that could hardly be more ripe for flaws.

But seriously, replacing the ENTIRE phone. Replacing the hardware due to a SW/FW problem. wow. that's extreme. Has the world really come to that?

OF course, I assume the OP has to return the phone, and they are obviously going to wipe the phone and redistribute the ones they get which are in passable condition as warrantee replacements or "renewed" on ebay.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
It's a software development/distribution model that could hardly be more ripe for flaws. As an ex-software developer it makes me shudder. And it's one of the reasons I was happy to see Android in the rear-view mirror.

Indeed, the concept of security first with quality testing, appears to have been thrown out with the bathwater.

Developers during testing, leaving an aspect of hardware/software turned off, and submitting that version to production, without any additional static or dynamic tests for functionality. Uggh.

I have been a Google Pixel user since the Pixel 1, admittedly for, at the time, camera features.

Have used the GrapheneOS replacement, for the security and privacy - no Google Play, apps or services.

Now looking at going back to Apple.

--chris

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post