SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wipe a lap top hard drive?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wipe a lap top hard drive? Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted
So as not to derail another thread, I will ask this question here.

I bought myself a new lap top computer because my old one did not have the RAM, hard drive size, and processor to run PS/LR to edit, and store my photos. It is still very serviceable for many other uses such as surfing the net, word processing etc.. Is there a way to securely remove all my data from it? I would like to sell/give it away.

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
It's been a few years but you can find programs that will do this. You want to write over the entire drive a bunch(technical term here Cool I don't remember how many)of times to ensure no data can be recovered.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16449 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Wipe? You mean like with a cloth?

BleachBit seems to work well.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33036 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
You can either pull it and wipe it with a Stanley 12 oz hammer and donate the corpse laptop if it’s still viable or format the hard drive repeatedly, over and over. Beyond that, not many average folks can do any harm with sifting through the HD for data.

If you’re giving the laptop to someone you trust, you can always remove every shred of personal data from it and keep the operating system intact so they don’t have to buy new software. What OS does it have? Which processor?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15789 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
You can either pull it and wipe it with a Stanley 12 oz hammer and donate the corpse laptop if it’s still viable or format the hard drive repeatedly, over and over. Beyond that, not many average folks can do any harm with sifting through the HD for data.

If you’re giving the laptop to someone you trust, you can always remove every shred of personal data from it and keep the operating system intact so they don’t have to buy new software. What OS does it have? Which processor?

I bought it about 3-4 years ago, upgraded it to Win 10 shortly after when it was still a free upgrade. I would have to boot it up to tell you the processor type in it. It was only a $200 computer at Best Buy.

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Warhorse, does it happen to be a Toshiba? If so, what model?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8378 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Create windows installation media. You might have some preloaded on your computer in a recovery partition that has the hardware drivers for your laptop, or you might have to download the installation media creation tool for Windows.

Recover the Activation Key for your version of Windows.

Download the network card driver onto a USB stick from the internet.

Wipe hard drive with DBAN.

Reinstall Windows using installation media.

Reinstall network card using downloaded drivers.

Once able to connect to the internet, go to the manufacturer website to download the other drivers for the other peripherals.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At that original price point it won't have much resale value. Even if you donate or sell it to a stranger there is little (very little) chance they would know how or want to recover your old data. I would feel secure myself just reformatting the HD 2 times and calling it done.
I would also look on E Bay to see what that particular laptop is bringing. It may be just enough to buy you a tank of gas or a box of ammo which is better than a kick in the shins... or you may also find a relative or friend who needs a word process and surfing tool and donate it. I just bought a refurbished/ warrantied HP laptop with Windows 10 and MS Office for $200. This was about a $900 laptop new.

West German Sig P220, P6, P226, BDA

Posts: 89 | Location: NE Ohio Willoughby | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Just about every other episode of NCIS Abby recovers the data from some type of stored memory device that has been erased or destroyed in some kind of way.... burned, blown up, beat on, eaten....you name it....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:

-Rob
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
If you can remove the drive relatively easily, just keep it or drill a couple holes in it.

Otherwise DBAN works well, but the OP may not be familiar with the whole process of creating a bootable CD or thumb drive and booting off that to run DBAN.

Posts: 34529 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

I bought it about 3-4 years ago, upgraded it to Win 10 shortly after when it was still a free upgrade. I would have to boot it up to tell you the processor type in it. It was only a $200 computer at Best Buy.

No family or extended family that needs a cheap browsing laptop? Family friends? It would be fairly simple to delete any personal stuff off of it and give it to somebody trustworthy. It’d be a shame to trash the hard drive with windows 10 installed.

As to the machine being “old” or “cheap”...Recently a friend gave me a Dell Inspiron base model laptop (AMD processor and only 4gb of RAM) that was excruciatingly slow. I happened to have a 250gb SSD lying around waiting for repurposing as external picture storage and the laptop had a WD drive in it. I cloned it over with Acronis and now it is lightning fast- as fast as any computer I already own. And I haven’t even messed with the RAM yet. Food for thought.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15789 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
DBAN if I don’t want to pull the drive.

To destroy, I usually use a sledge hammer and put the drive between the curb and street.

Then use compound clippers to cut the disks.

When I decommission a large amount I have a drive shredding service certify destruction.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7185 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Warhorse, does it happen to be a Toshiba? If so, what model?

It's an Acer.

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbliss57:
At that original price point it won't have much resale value. Even if you donate or sell it to a stranger there is little (very little) chance they would know how or want to recover your old data. I would feel secure myself just reformatting the HD 2 times and calling it done.
I would also look on E Bay to see what that particular laptop is bringing. It may be just enough to buy you a tank of gas or a box of ammo which is better than a kick in the shins... or you may also find a relative or friend who needs a word process and surfing tool and donate it. I just bought a refurbished/ warrantied HP laptop with Windows 10 and MS Office for $200. This was about a $900 laptop new.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I will probably just trash the HD. Maybe play with a cheap new HD, just for learning purposes.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbliss57:

Reformatting a drive does not remove the data from it.

If a hardrive is analogous to a book, reformatting is like pulling out the table of contents. The data still remains on the rest of the pages.

You need to use a utility to securely wipe the drives by writing 1s and 0s over the existing data. DBAN is free and can be deployed from a USB stick.

This is not an NCIS level recovery technique. It's really basic. People have literally used these recovery techniques here on the forum to help others recover photos off of memory cards. You need to 1) securely wipe your drives and 2) stop giving people bad advice.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Use DBan.
Then install Linux Lite or Mint on the wiped drive and use another utility to overwrite the blank space left. It's overkill but will ease your mind and leave you with a fully functioning laptop where you can learn Linux.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12264 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:

-Rob

Damn, took the words right out of my finger tips.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post