SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another LEO involved shooting. Suspect deceased. Any answers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another LEO involved shooting. Suspect deceased. Any answers? Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
I’m reluctant to post the video. It is graphic. If anyone knows, I’m curious what lead up to this, and what was the outcome, ie, was the deceased on something?

The Cliffnotes version: A Montgomery County Sheriff was in the process of detaining an individual. A middle aged white male, that looked like a college professor. One of the comments called him “Professor Longstick”.

As the deputy approached him, the professor picked up his long stick. As the deputy backpedaled, the professor hit him with the stick. The deputy kept backing up, and was maybe 5-6 feet away, before he shot the man 12 times before he dropped the suspect. The professor didn’t even flinch when getting shot. The commentary is done in real time, done by an individual recording the incident with his cellphone. And even before everything went down, the bystander seemed to agree the officer hesitated too long to stop the threat.

If admin is ok with me posting the link, I can. It is a very, very bizzare shooting. Definitely makes you think about carrying a higher capacity firearm.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Guy crashed into two cars prior to interacting with the sheriff. I think he was tasered too.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8028 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
^
Any toxicology reports? He seemed a little more than angry. Why was all his stuff on the street. And the silver car at the intersection with both passenger doors open.

That went down like a bad dream...

-----------------
I apologize now...

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think that guy had a few loose screws. Seemed to be in the ‘suicide by Cop’ category.

Posts: 6176 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
^
Most people who attempt suicide and survive, recall regretting their decision. That guy wasn’t regretting anything. Like a freaking zombie.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The guy never changed his facial expression until he started going down. Either he was truly mental or had something onboard that made him not give a shit.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15618 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen the video, most people don’t react to being shot like they do in the movies. Stabbings are the same way. I’m not shocked by any of it anymore. (Thank goodness I’m retired)

Unless you put one into the central nervous system, you can be in for a tough fight-I believe a lot of it comes down to mindset of the person who is shot.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I’ve seen the video, most people don’t react to being shot like they do in the movies. Stabbings are the same way. I’m not shocked by any of it anymore. (Thank goodness I’m retired)

Unless you put one into the central nervous system, you can be in for a tough fight-I believe a lot of it comes down to mindset of the person who is shot.

Yep.

No mystery at all.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

Yep.

No mystery at all.

This. Handguns poke holes. That's all. Dude was a nut. I wish the cop had some hands.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Oh and thanks to the OP for not having a thread title that reads like it was written by Nancy Pelosi for CNN.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Oh and thanks to the OP for not having a thread title that reads like it was written by Nancy Pelosi for CNN.

What, you didn’t like my thread title?! Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 5075 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I’d be really curious to know the toxicology results. Or what this guy had going on in his personal life.

Definitely a good shoot. Looked a lot like suicide by cop if I’m gonna armchair quarterback this one too.

Posts: 5075 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is some wisdom here in training for the non-standard response. This guy could have really hurt that deputy before his brain realized his body was dead.

Posts: 5166 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW, Montgomery Co Sheriff does not have a patrol mission, Montgomery Co Police does that. The LEO may not have much experience dealing with violent, non-compliant subjects.

https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/sheriff/

https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/pol/

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
This is close to me as I have lived and worked in Montgomery county. I've driving this road many times and know someone that lives a few hundred feet from where this happened.

The guy that was shot had already run more then one car off the road. The deputy heard the radio call and responded since he was right in the area. I've heard reports he deployed his taser first but not confirmed that.

This guy had some problems and had not only run people off the road but also attached someone else with the stick before the deputy arrived.

As others have said the Montgomery police department deals with most crime here. The sheriff deals more with serving papers and court stuff.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16409 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Referring to the CNS shot, there is an area we called the “T” on a human head. It encloses the eyes and down to the bottom of the nose. Shots delivered there are a one shot stop (usually).

Also, we were taught at some range days to think outside of our state mandated training of putting 70% of our rounds into the black of our B28 targets...and we were taught that regular people could get ahold of body armor and that if two to the chest didn’t work to put a few into the “pelvic girdle” -hips. If you break the suspects hips he cannot walk or run and once down becomes easier to shoot in the head.

I can’t remember the actual name for that right now but I’m sure someone will come along and advise.

/drift

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
The guy filming was black and was saying "shoot his ass" because white privilege was on display, at least according to him. That officer obviously skipped range day when "failure drills" were taught. Good thing the shootee wasn't actually intent on causing him harm.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Shooting at the body then the head was dubbed the “Mozambique” for some reason.

I include a drill in my training that requires directing fire at different parts of the body to help accustom officers to the idea that sometimes that might be necessary. I honestly have no idea whether it would actually help anyone when being attacked in real life because, strangely enough, real life is not the same as shooting at sheets of paper. I figure, though, that like many things that are unlikely to ever be necessary, at least they’ve been exposed to the concept and might remember to use it.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47413 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
We have taught the "Failure drill" for at least 20 years. Never had anyone utilize it in an OIS, but no one ever needed to either. With more people running around with body armor it is probably even more valuable now than it ever was, but my experience is most people tend to shot center mass on the body repeatedly instead of shooting the head. I always thought this was a good paper drill, but in real life, the head can be a small target that continually moves around especially after getting shot twice in the body (typically) and the stress of the moment factored in, never as easy as in real life as it is on the range.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Due to the changing culture and perception of bias, the name 'Mozambique' drill was changed to 'Failure Drill' quite a few years ago.

As to this shooting, crazy. Had that deputy been limited to a 10 round magazine, the "hands on" techniques would have been interesting.

edit: Kssss beat me to it by seconds.

Tony

Posts: 316 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post