SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Scheduling the S2000 for Spring Spa treatment
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scheduling the S2000 for Spring Spa treatment Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
To share with other S2000 owners, here's a complete list of my Mods/Accessories.
The list looks long but it really is mostly small personalized touches that make the S2K mine. Big Grin

(All OEM parts including exhaust retained in storage. Only item not available to return to OEM is the intake airbox and resonator.)

Engine:
-- Sprint Super Competition (Italian) micron mesh dry polyester air filter
-- DIY "gutted" and insulated air box
-- DIY passenger side fenderwell plumbed intake to air box
-- AUT Design cooling plate (sebring silver paint over carbon fiber by ImportTuningGarage)
-- DIY modified radmat under AUT intake horn
-- Skunk2 Racing Megapower catback exhaust system (26 lb lighter than OEM +7.3 RWHP)
-- Greddy Type N 1.3kg/cm3 high pressure radiator cap
-- Engine bay cowl seal removed
-- Greddy Super-Light 1000cc oil catch tank w/NAPA 3/8" 250 psi hoses
-- Hella twin Supertone #85115 horns (375Hz & 500Hz) 118dB @ 2 meters
-- Swan battery disconnector
-- Custom machined aluminum billet oil cap
-- APC red billet battery tie down
-- JTKPro red powdercoated Fuel Rail Cover
-- Vision Motorworks red billet VTEC solenoid cover
-- NRG HD-140 1/2 pressure polished silver/chrome hood dampers
-- Polished aluminum bar Cusco style shock tower brace
-- Password: JDM brake & clutch fluid reservoir tank covers

Suspension/wheels/tires:
-- MUZ Whiteline front swaybar #BHF48 (30mm solid spring steel, 50% stiffer than stock tubular 26.5mm)
-- Rick's berlina black "S" on sebring silver rim center caps
-- Black anodized aluminum TR413 valve stems
-- OEM AP1 MY01 16" rims painted with graphite pearl Dupli-Color leaving lips silver
(weight 15.5 lbs F & 16.5 lbs R)
-- Currently running Hankook Ventus R-S2 tires
-- Original OEM AP1 MY03 16" rims stored
-- New unused Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R 2 front; 4 rears) stored
-- McGard locking wheel lugs

Interior:
-- Knobmeister / Joe Portas VS (1.8" diameter) polyurethane finished lead weighted mahogany shift knob with laser engraved S2K shift pattern, 3.25 oz (~92g)
-- Rick's formula red "S" on berlina black Steering wheel emblem
-- Modifry glove box organizer
-- OEM seat satchel
-- Winplus Type S Sportex faux leather red/black seat belt shoulder pads (SB00970-60/6)
-- (spare) Team VooDoo spun pearl aluminum finish shift knob (1 7/8" diameter, 175 grams)
-- DIY Visor airbag warning label black covers

Exterior:
-- Coastal Metal lip protector
-- Coastal Metal front grill powdercoated black
-- Dynashield headlight lens guards (3M film)
-- Adelaide Automotive sebring silver keycaps
-- MUZ JDM Convex driver's side mirror
-- Classic Carrier black luggage rack w/black leather straps (~ 30" W x ~16.75" D)
-- Rick's front license bracket
-- Vinyl "S2000" on windblocker screen
-- MilitaryBest Retired Navy license frame

Misc:
-- Softbond Noah car cover w/cable and lock
-- Bosch Icon 416A/420B wiper blades
-- Intercomp 3.5" Deluxe Glow 0-60 psi tire gauge #9304-03
-- OEM touch up paint color code NH552MAH
-- Chip-Mender touch up paint pen
-- TheJacketStore silicon FOB covers

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Thought I'd update this thread. Weather had turned south so my detailing efforts didn't open up until the last few days.

I did my 2011 Sonata LTD first and then switched cars out between the main and separate garages.

After completing the bug splatter removal yesterday I quit. This old man's stamina isn't what it once was. That was harder than it might sound as some of that shit had been stuck on while in storage since late 2019. Not a good thing at all for the paint. I usually detailed the S2000 before putting it to storage but circumstances interfered back then. Frown Used a trick I recently learned about and it worked better than the old Turtle Wax bug remover shit I have on hand. Simply wet dryer sheets. No kidding! Thankfully inspecting found that the Klasse acrylic sealant and glaze I use under the wax did a great job of protecting the paint.

I did find the damage to the Coastal Metal lip protector under the lower edge of the front bumper is worse than I thought. I'd already asked my local shop to look to see if it could be restored from being torn up from sliding over one of those damn parking lot cement bars when I take it in the end of the month for some maintenance (e.g. valve adjustment, etc.). But I suspect that it might make more sense to just remove it. I've more than got my money out of it these past 18 years.

Today was a wash and clay day. Recently bought some highly regarded but inexpensive Meguiar's G7148 Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo and Conditioner. The challenge here was to use this high foaming stuff in the garage without a hose. Yeah I have the proper tools to do a two bucket and hose wash job in my driveway but that's a PITA. For a good number of years I've used some premium no rinse product [Protect-All Quick n Easy Wash (now discontinued) so I go with Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine] designed for RVs and folks who live in apartments etc. without access to lots of water and hose hook ups. It works just fine (used on the Sonata Monday) as does this Meguiar's stuff.

Anyhow it took several hand rinses with a quality wash mitt to do the deed. Instead of my Magic Clay clay bar that I've used successfully in the past I decided to use the Nanoskin (AS-015) Autoscrub 7" x 7" clay towel I also just picked up. Not as aggressive but effective and way less labor intensive. Did a great job removing surface contaminants from the paint.

She's ready for tomorrow and the application of both Klasse 3-in-1 and Glaze. https://www.autogeek.net/klasse-usa.html
That to be followed by P21S caranuba wax that I've been using on the S2000 since I bought it. This after the Klasse stuff cures. As an aside the S100 wax by the same outfit marketed for motorcycles is exactly the same and much much cheaper.

Had enough left in this old man's body to tackle detailing the engine bay. Not all that much of a challenge as the car is rarely run in bad weather.

I'm not forgetting the windshield (https://youtu.be/q4WwOrkgXlc ), interior, rag top, and tires. All in good time. Smile

Edited to remove the stupid redundant use of the word "stuff." LOL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
FWIW in addition to the rinseless car wash soap, I used some Meguiar's Cleaner - Wax on the Hyundai Sonata Ltd. Followed that up with some Meguiar's #34 Final Inspection.

These decade old products were on hand in the garage so why not? Smile

Haven't tried any of the newer easy to use spray wax or hybrid products from any manufacturer. That said Turtle Wax's ICE looks interesting.

I've never done the traditional old school hand applied caranuba wax on the sedan. That's a labor of love reserved for my cherished 2003 S2000. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Neglected to post a picture after completing the detailing... so here it is, better late than never. Big Grin
I'll have to take some better ones when I take her out.

Sorry about the slight graininess... had to adjust the picture as it was too dark.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Nice, bald1!
So yours is Sebring Silver like mine?

Posts: 18070 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Nice, bald1!
So yours is Sebring Silver like mine?

Yup. Big Grin

Sebring Silver Metallic / Red Leather interior
* one of just 223 of this color combo in 2003 (717 were made in 2002)

USN (RET), COTEP #192

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Mine is the 2005; the red interior is more subdued: black bolsters with red seat back and bottom.

My first S2000 was a 2001 in Silverstone; turned it in at the end of the least, at my wife's insistence. Bought the 2005 used from a USAF major in Honolulu shortly after going there to work; wife was still on the mainland. Now she asks if I'm going to sell it.

Posts: 18070 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Mine is the 2005; the red interior is more subdued: black bolsters with red seat back and bottom.

My first S2000 was a 2001 in Silverstone; turned it in at the end of the least, at my wife's insistence. Bought the 2005 used from a USAF major in Honolulu shortly after going there to work; wife was still on the mainland. Now she asks if I'm going to sell it.

Ah thanks for the interior info Doc. You posted this while I was searching for a picture that you might have posted of yours. No joy BTW.

And no, don't sell it! Big Grin

As an aside several neighbors commented back when I first acquired the S2K that the silver-red color combo reminded them of the Mercedes Gull-Wing. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Time to upgrade to Graphene nano spray protection, it's the latest in paint protection.

303 Graphene Spray

There are several brands, this is an example, and it will help keep the paint protected and the shine for quite a while longer..

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Bald1, that will keep your car looking good. I'll bring mine over soon.

I like Zaino over Klasse, but . . .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
My only concern about the Graphene stuff is crap, like pollen, inadvertently getting underneath it and the difficulty of removing it.

I remain pretty pleased with my Klasse-P21s (S100) approach these last two decades. I am, after all, an old fart pretty set in his ways! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Not sure if I am more jealous of the S2000...or the clean garage

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Not sure if I am more jealous of the S2000...or the clean garage

Too be fair and honest that picture is cropped so the entire garage is NOT shown. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192