SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about a good iphone odometer app
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about a good iphone odometer app Login/Join 
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted
What I am looking for is just something basic that will tell me how many feet or miles I have traveled by walking, biking or driving. Don't mind buying one if it doesn't have the damn ads. Thanks for any input.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The term is Pedometer, it's part of apples fitness app.

Apple Fitness app

App is Free, if you have an Apple Watch it will be on it and record while you walk just put it on your phone.

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Apple Fitness app

App is Free, if you have an Apple Watch it will be on it and record while you walk just put it on your phone.

Will this tell me how far I have traveled by any means or just walking?

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I had Calimoto (motorcycle centric app) but it was great for mapping rides. I'm sure it would work for walking/biking/driving as well.

Not sure if something like Strava would work properly for higher speeds attained while driving.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15349 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The great thing about apps is you can try them all and delete if you don't like and yes it is worth it to bribe them for no ads.

Posts: 22925 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I use StepsApp.

quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:

Only steps from walking. I am not aware of any app that will give you a number based on different activities like walking, bike riding, etc. I would be interested to know if there is one though.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6417 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
I use StepsApp.

quote:

Only steps from walking. I am not aware of any app that will give you a number based on different activities like walking, bike riding, etc. I would be interested to know if there is one though.

Strava can do distance for walking, running, biking, swimming.
But, like I said above. I've never tried it to see what it does at vehicular speeds.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15349 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Strava can do distance for walking, running, biking, swimming.
But, like I said above. I've never tried it to see what it does at vehicular speeds.

I have Strava and it is an excellent app. But, if I go for a bike ride in the morning, and a walk in the afternoon, Strava will log two separate activities. It won’t give you a combined measurement.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6417 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I use Walkmeter, tells distance, pace, time.

Posts: 18081 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of np149
posted Hide Post
I use MileIQ to track my vehicular milage. It is pretty comprehensive, but is an annual subscription. It tracks miles via GPS, so it knows where you've been. You can categorize each leg of a trip as a business expense, which adds up your miles for tax purposes, or as pleasure, which does not add to the annual report total. They offer a free, limited feature version to try out.

Posts: 236 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
I use StepsApp.

quote:

CoolRich59, I found this app and loaded it on my phone and so far it's working just fine. Very basic but it works walking and in my truck and seems to be accurate, works on GPS. It's free and so far just what I wanted. Solo Trip https://apps.apple.com/us/app/solo-trip/id1456889218

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Apple Fitness app

Don't think it's going to do anything on motorcycle/car, it's an exercise app.

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

CoolRich59, I found this app and loaded it on my phone and so far it's working just fine. Very basic but it works walking and in my truck and seems to be accurate, works on GPS. It's free and so far just what I wanted. Solo Trip https://apps.apple.com/us/app/solo-trip/id1456889218

I will check it out. Thanks!

Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I am looking for is just something basic that will tell me how many feet or miles I have traveled by walking, biking or driving. Don't mind buying one if it doesn't have the damn ads. Thanks for any input.

I'm not familiar with an app that will work to meet your requirements.

If you find one, I think you may find an app running like this all day - measuring your overall distance traveled to meet your requirements - will burn through your phone's battery. Via bike or car, it will need to be passing GPS information to the app. For walking, the phone will need to be on your person, but since it will count steps instead of using GPS, the battery draw will not be as significant.

Added - That Solo Trip app does look like it will work, but I expect you will have to start and stop it for each trip or activity. Running it all day will be a battery draw.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4992 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
quote:

I'm not familiar with an app that will work to meet your requirements.

If you find one, I think you may find an app running like this all day - measuring your overall distance traveled to meet your requirements - will burn through your phone's battery. Via bike or car, it will need to be passing GPS information to the app. For walking, the phone will need to be on your person, but since it will count steps instead of using GPS, the battery draw will not be as significant.

Added - That Solo Trip app does look like it will work, but I expect you will have to start and stop it for each trip or activity. Running it all day will be a battery draw.

Yes Steve I will be stopping and starting it when not in use. And I won't be using it much anyway, if the battery use is excessive, I will just delete it, didn't cost any thing. I will keep you guys updated how it works.

A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Just a quick update on the Solo Trip app. This works really well for free. The battery draw is not bad it seems to be about 3% an hour in use from what I can tell. I don't have it on when not using, and when it is in use a blue bar appears at the top of the home screen so you won't forget. When you get done with your trip it has a little map showing your route and elapsed time. I am happy with it.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I use MapMyFitness

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38694 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
If you have an iPhone you already have this information..

Go to your Health app
Scroll down and it will tell you how many steps and how many miles you’ve walked today and you can track it.

If that doesn’t work for you you can download the Pedometer+ app for free..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6327 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Gaia GPS would work for you if you would be willing to press start before you begin whatever activity you're trying to log. If you're looking for a passive app you can look at later it might not work for you.

The free version would do what you're looking for, but the paid version has tons of features you might not even know you want unless you try it.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I came across an interesting app: Google Fit.

It looks like it tracks multiple activities, walking, running, biking, etc., and calculates a score.