SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I've got a science mystery I'm trying to figure out involving driving in the cold.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I've got a science mystery I'm trying to figure out involving driving in the cold. Login/Join 
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted
When it gets really cold around here, below zero, and there is visible moisture in the air, when I drive my patrol vehicle a haunting tone occurs between certain speeds, roughly 40 to 60 mph, but the speeds change with conditions. Not sure if the visible moisture is important, but anytime I've heard it there was visible moisture. I've never noticed this in my POV so I'm not sure if it has something to do with the radio or the light bar. It's happened in multiple patrol vehicles.

Anybody have any ideas?

Posts: 11167 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Is your patrol car AWD? What is it? Not saying this is the reason just thinking

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I’d guess ice build up on the antenna making the sound. In railroad vehicles with the long 3” antenna we used to notice a hum at certain speeds and certain conditions.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
It's a 2020 Ram 1500. I've also heard it driving a 2015 F150. Both were 4x4s, but not AWD.

@SigM4

Is the antenna itself making the noise or is it coming through the radio somehow?

Posts: 11167 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
The seal around the windshield is shrinking in the cold.

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
The seal around the windshield is shrinking in the cold.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LQ2UIfMRmF4" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

It likely would not happen in 2 different vehicles.

It has something to with you radio or emergency equipment.
What exactly way too many variables to know.

I remember working 3rds my equipment would make some weird noises at times.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Not trying to be funny, but what is “visible moisture in the air”? I have no experience, but at below zero wouldn’t any moisture be ice?

Certainly any ice buildup on the vehicle would result in different sounds at various speeds, whether on the grill, antenna, or light bar.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Mostly freezing fog.

posted Hide Post
If the sound changes at different speeds in different weather, I'd look for ice buildups that change the wind noise.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2070 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Freakin' elves, man

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Quite possibly ice build up on your antennas.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trunk monkey getting cold?

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I put a 2M antenna on my truck about ten years ago and noticed the same problem, although mine was all the time and not just when moisture was in the air. What I did was wrap the antenna with black electrical tape (just spiraled it up in one layer). Solved the funky noise issue at speed and didn't affect the Tx/Rx at all.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I’m going with light bar. I bought a Subaru that I anticipated replacing a wheel bearing. I removed the after market roof rack and voila, the noise was gone.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
Not trying to be funny, but what is “visible moisture in the air”? I have no experience, but at below zero wouldn’t any moisture be ice?
<snip>

Actually, microscopic moisture particles in the air can remain liquid at below-freezing temperature.

But when the air is disturbed by a rapidly moving vehicle those particles can suddenly freeze on to the vehicle. A hazard well known to pilots.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

microscopic moisture particles in the air can remain liquid at below-freezing temperature.

But when the air is disturbed by a rapidly moving vehicle those particles can suddenly freeze on to the vehicle. A hazard well known to pilots.
The V-Tail had a whip antenna, maybe three feet long, mounted on the cowling in front of the windshield. I thought of it as my "ice detector." I normally never noticed it in flight, but the antenna was the first thing on the airplane to accumulate ice, which unbalanced it, and the antenna would whip back and forth. That motion caught my eye, I would then look at the leading edges of the wings, and sure enough, every time, there would be ice starting to form.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Something related to air density and maybe some ice causing an acoustic vibration. Weird.

Our home furnace does that too, with high humidity and temps in the upper 20's. It has an air intake from outside, a 3" plastic pipe, and next to it the exhaust air, also a plastic pipe. It makes an owl like hoooing noise. I assume ice in the intake.

Posts: 9452 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
It's a 2020 Ram 1500. I've also heard it driving a 2015 F150. Both were 4x4s, but not AWD.

@SigM4

Is the antenna itself making the noise or is it coming through the radio somehow?

It’s the antenna itself making the noise at speed. The radio is off when this happens.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Ghost in the Machine! LOL

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The most noise from any of the patrol cars I ever drove came from the lightbar mounts.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post