SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any GPS Navigation recommendations? Update pg 3 w/ purchases
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any GPS Navigation recommendations? Update pg 3 w/ purchases Login/Join 
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted
I’m looking for a new GPS for my car. I currently own a Garmin Drivesmart 61 that is horrible. The routing is a joke. It wants me to exit highways only to get right back on. It also takes me off of main roads to gravel/dirt roads only to loop back to the main roads. The final straw last week was routing me to a gravel road and told me turn right into the RIVER! Unfortunately, updating it doesn’t help. As a sales rep I’m on the road every day and I rely on the GPS a lot. I’ve always had Garmin in the past but needless to say my confidence in that brand is low right now. Any opinions of TomTom, Magellan or Rand McNally?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: birddog1,

Posts: 2352 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Do you have it set to route via shortest distance or fastest time? If set to shortest distance it will literally take you the shortest route even if it means getting off and on the main roads or taking sketchy routes.

(I don't have a recommendation for a dedicated GPS unit - I've been using Waze for several years for the traffic and police alerts. I used to use Garmins though)

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Garmin guy here. Tried Tom-Tom and Magellan, threw both in the trash..Using a Garmin drive 50 LMT and it is flawless! That said, I check for and run all updates. I have owned this for about a year now. Prior to this I had a Garmin Street Pilot, good unit but screen started fading after about 2.5 years.

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
The best thing you can do is use your phone for google maps or a similar app like waze.

I like google maps because you can download the area you are going to so that if you don't have cell service your gps still functions.

Plus you don't have to worry about updating.

Posts: 919 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I believe it’s set for fastest time. I do have the Waze and Google Maps on my phones (iPhone for personal and Samsung business issued), I just might need to get something to hold my phone and go that route.

Posts: 2352 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
We have a Garmin Nuvi and built in GPS Nav in the vehicles.

Really all you need is your phone and an App. I am quite happy with the performance of Google Maps but many here have spoken highly of Waze.

Posts: 2736 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Cell phone mapping is only reliable if you are within cell coverage.

GPS uses satellite.

In rural areas GPS is best.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7190 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Garmin NUVI with LTM (life time map updates).
As said above this will work when there is no cell service and can also give heads up about traffic accidents and go arounds.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recommend a Garmin with a traffic cam. Screaming Cockatoo has the one I will eventually upgrade to. Unfortunately I can't remember and can't find the model # at the moment.

Posts: 5032 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I do travel to some rural parts of Ohio which have no cell coverage so I need to keep that in mind if switching to an app only navigation. I like the idea of a built-in camera, so far I’ve driven over 22,000 miles since January so having a little added security from the camera isn’t a bad thing. The GPS I have now was bought in January and it wasn’t cheap by any means but I just need to find the best option. I’ve always had good luck with Garman products in the past so I was a little surprised by the poor performance of this one.

posted Hide Post
What has been stated in the original post is not typical of any Garmin GPS regardless of model or price range. Check again. What you described as poor performance is exactly what you get when you have it set for shortest distance. Make absolutely sure you have the unit set for fastest route.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I switched over to a Garmin a few years ago when I started traveling more for work. I used my phone and then my iPad at first but I found the Garmin user interface much, much, better and the accuracy of the directions to be consistently more precise.

I also like the separate device so my phone is not tied up in case I need to use it.

I agree with others that you must make sure your settings are correct.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3905 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Ram Mounts are the way to go, you can get any combination of mount, arm, base.

https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount

The X Grip holder is universal, they even make them large enough for an iPad/tablet, I run the Xgrip on my motorcycle handlebars using a 3 inch arm to a base on the handlebars. Works great.

https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mo...&t=cell+phone+mounts

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
What has been stated in the original post is not typical of any Garmin GPS regardless of model or price range.

I only run Garmin GPS units.

Every single one of them has done exactly what the OP describes at one point or another.

Take the fastest route setting as an example. I can't tell you how many times it routes me in a direction that doesn't make any logical sense. I'll go the direction that I know is the way that makes the most sense, it will recalculate, and then the arrival time drops.

Just the other day it wanted me to pass an exit on the highway, travel another 20 miles, turn around at that exit, and then come back to where I was.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15864 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
What has been stated in the original post is not typical of any Garmin GPS regardless of model or price range. Check again. What you described as poor performance is exactly what you get when you have it set for shortest distance. Make absolutely sure you have the unit set for fastest route.

I’ll check it again but I’m not sure that jives with the issues I’m having. For instance, when it tells me to exit the highway and immediately cross over the road to get right back on the same highway (this is an established hwy, nothing new) or last week when it routed me into a river where no road existed.

posted Hide Post
Garmin GPS for the past 20 years here. GPS set up for shortest distance may put you into downtown El Paso, or on a fire road in California, for example. "Faster time" is better, IMO.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I have a Garmin (LMT50?) and love it although, there is a couple spots around my house where it wants to take me off the freeway only to put me right back on. (only aound my "home" location)

Used a few weeks ago when driving from Boston to Plattsburgh NY and then to Montreal. Worked like a champ every time. The wife was harping about bringing it on the trip ("I have my phone...") until we found ourselves in areas without phone service and also didn't want to incur the international fees while in Canada.

OP - try fiddling with your routing instructions. Sometimes I will purposely turn on the "Avoid toll roads" options just to drive local. Oh and as mentioned, the "fastest" vs "shortest" is something to be aware of. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
I recommend a Garmin with a traffic cam. Screaming Cockatoo has the one I will eventually upgrade to. Unfortunately I can't remember and can't find the model # at the moment.
Garmin DriveAssist 50 LMT is the one that SC has. There is a newer version, the 51. I got the 50 -- two of them actually, for my wife and me. Found them on ebay, Garmin factory re-furbs, for $102 each.

They are the GPS / dash camera combination units, and if your vehicle does not have a backup camera, the Garmin BC-30 backup camera will work with these and display the camera image on the GPS screen. You can actually use several cameras, so you could put one on the rear of your vehicle, for example, and another on the back of a trailer.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31453 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Garmin Nuvi have always been great. I will sometimes check my route on Google maps to see if there are any updates for construction. My Garmin also has the Traffic function and will reroute for accidents and backups.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9089 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Garmin GPS for the past 20 years here. GPS set up for shortest distance may put you into downtown El Paso, or on a fire road in California, for example. "Faster time" is better, IMO.

What if you want neither? Like prettiest drive or most fun road to drive?

Posts: 13600 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post