SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Eyeglasses Prescription Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eyeglasses Prescription Question Login/Join 
Picture of bobandmikako
posted
I had my eyes checked for the first time in a couple of years at the VA hospital. I still pass vision tests with my old glasses, so my vision shouldn't have changed that drastically. I asked the doctor to give me a written prescription so I could order some prescription sunglasses. I noticed the "Cylinder" number is positive (+) and not negative (-) like it has been for my entire adult life. I didn't notice until I got home. I'm wondering if it's a mistake. I probably can't get ahold to the doctor until the middle of next week since he's not at this particular clinic full-time. Anyway, does anyone know if it's normal for the number to change from negative to positive? The new VA prescription is the one on top. The one on bottom is from 2016. Thanks.

Sphere Cylinder Axis Add
OD (Right) -4.25 +1.00 025 +1.75
OL (Left) -3.75 sph +1.75

Sphere Cylinder Axis Add
OD (Right) -3.00 -1.00 115 +1.75
OL (Left) -4.00 -0.5 075 +1.75

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
I had my eyes checked for the first time in a couple of years at the VA hospital. I still pass vision tests with my old glasses, so my vision shouldn't have changed that drastically. I asked the doctor to give me a written prescription so I could order some prescription sunglasses. I noticed the "Cylinder" number is positive (+) and not negative (-) like it has been for my entire adult life. I didn't notice until I got home. I'm wondering if it's a mistake. I probably can't get ahold to the doctor until the middle of next week since he's not at this particular clinic full-time. Anyway, does anyone know if it's normal for the number to change from negative to positive? The new VA prescription is the one on top. The one on bottom is from 2016. Thanks.

Sphere Cylinder Axis Add
OD (Right) -4.25 +1.00 025 +1.75
OL (Left) -3.75 sph +1.75

Sphere Cylinder Axis Add
OD (Right) -3.00 -1.00 115 +1.75
OL (Left) -4.00 -0.5 075 +1.75

Any presription can be written in either minus cylinder form (like your old Rx) or plus cylinder like the new one. Converting your new Rx to minus cylinder form looks like this: OD -3.25 -1.00 x 115 OS -3.75. MD's tend to use the plus cylinder format, OD's (and the whole optical industry as well) use minus cylinder.
The biggest change in your Rx is the left eye Rx has no astigmatism correction.

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 412 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
GJG, thanks very much!

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Your astigmatism can change. Just be wary if your pupillary distance is different!

A second opinion is $45 or so at a chain eyeglass store.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

If you want to order glasses online, places like Zennioptical will let you enter either the plus or minus form of cylinder correction. If you do want to order your own, you will need another number, which is not commonly included on the prescription, and that is your pupillary distance (distance between pupils). Every optometrist or ophthalmologist I have used is happy to include that figure, if you just ask. They assume you are going to an optometrist to have it filled, and the optometrist will measure the PD. But the Dr. doing the refracting also measures it and can include it on your prescription. Once you learn how to interpret the prescription (there are many places online that explain this for you), you can make changes to the "Add" number to create glasses that focus at a certain distance, such as for dedicated computer glasses, or shooting glasses. You can move the point of focus around by changing the Add.

Posts: 10787 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post