SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It's dang hard to let my son go :(
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's dang hard to let my son go :( Login/Join 
posted
I've been helping Stef get ready to move for about two months, He's moving to Dallas-Ft Worth area. I'm excited for him and his better half because their jobs are a huge step up. But damn it shit I don't have a golf, shooting buddy any more.

Posts: 7561 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Brother can I relate.

Today is the last day my 20 YO son will stay at my house on a regular basis. He’s with his mom the next 2 weeks and then we take him to college…

I don’t know if it is possible for him to be any more of a kind, loving and giving young man.

This is not easy.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12337 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I know the feeling. Last weekend I moved my daughter to North Carolina where she will be in grad school for the next 5 years. She was home for the summer after attending school in Georgia for the last 4 years. This time around she will only get 2 weeks off a year.
At least it is closer by 6 hours drive time.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
This is not easy.

It was a difficult time for me and my wife when our son, the only child, went off to college. Instant empty nest, it was a milestone moment for us, I was depressed for weeks. Months later, we got the wheels in motion to prepare our house for sale and move out of CA. A huge chapter closed, but another was opening.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16709 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I've done it five times with four sons. It doesn't get easier. My shooting buddies are in the wind. They come around sometimes and we have a good time but the little boys that used to pile in the truck and go shooting with me with all of the boastful challenges and chop busting are gone forever. No regrets though. I spent as much time as possible with them growing up. One of my boys has passed on. I'll have to wait until I cross to see him again. So while our kids move on in life and we gradually become less necessary, be thankful for those times when them come back to visit.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29711 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the words of wisdom SigFormum members. They are very helpful on a very sad day.

Posts: 7561 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Felt the same way when he came home and at dinner, informed us he had joined the Marine Corps.
That was 15 years ago.

Now when he comes by, he drinks my beer, my whiskey and smokes my cigars! Can't wait for him to leave.

(kidding! Looking forward to his 2 sons becoming my shooting buddies!

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand what you are going through. Been through it with our three. One in California (Boo), one close in Dallas, and son in South Korea.

What area of DFW did they decide on?

Posts: 1071 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
I've been helping Stef get ready to move for about two months, He's moving to Dallas-Ft Worth area. I'm excited for him and his better half because their jobs are a huge step up. But damn it shit I don't have a golf, shooting buddy any more.

I'm half way there. My son is active in his HS sports, so doesn't have time for the camping/fishing, other things we did together. This summer, he spent 6 weeks away from home, 2 weeks mt. climbing, 4 weeks in sports camp. Man, it was a tough summer for me. He is still home, so not all is lost, but I know 3 years from now, it will be really difficult.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4878 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Mine is going to college several states away. It is a bit of a double edged thing. I do miss him, but my whole job was to help him grow into someone who could leave the nest and be successful on his own. Even so, it is great when he comes home for the summer and we get to do more shooting and more projects.

Your situation is a little tougher as he won’t be back for the summers, but you can still take satisfaction in helping him grow into the young man he is today.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Bytes, it is difficult to let him go because you did a great job of training him to be a young man of good character and he's fun to be around.

Thankfully you are not in the same position as my best friend. He and his wife adopted two children when they were 6 (girl) and 4 (boy). In spite of a great family environment, training, endless patience and love these two kids have really been a disappointing handful. The girl went to college but dropped out after 6 months and left home permanently. The son is about to go to college and my buddy and his wife can't be happier about getting him out of their home. This entire saga has been a complete surprise to me and my wife as we've watched a disappointing chain of events unfold over the years.

So like slosig said in his post above, celebrate the success that you and your son share. You both did good!

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Moved boy number 1 of 2 into his dorm today…

I’m so incredibly proud of him and his accomplishments and know that he will do great at school. Yesterday he delivered hand written notes to all of his co-workers and boss from his 3 year chick-filet job…to express to each one what his time with them has meant to him and how they helped shape it.

Unreal. I want to keep living for no other reason than to see that this young man is going to do with his life.

I told someone once that I never understood the concept of what it meant to ‘love’ until I had my boys. What an amazingly terrifying emotion.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12337 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Dropped my youngest child and only son off at his apartment for his first year at Texas A&M today.

Will miss him but his mother and I know this is what all the hard parenting has been for all these years. He will be there with his sister this year.

I am excited for him and all the opportunities he has at A&M, we pray he seeks God when he needs help. We pray God keeps good people around him.

His mother and I are excited that we can do more of anything we want to now, when we want to. Lots of date nights ahead.

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Just moved my last kid into her college dorm. It is hard but necessary. Doesn't make it any easier.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hang in there guys. I sent my oldest son to college in ‘15 and the second in ‘16 to be empty nesters. It was hard. We were lucky enough to plan a visit during each semester - the guys picked the dates- and it’s fun to take a few of their friendship out to dinner or lunch. Take in a game, etc. Just so they know you have their back. Remember they are probably just as nervous or more so. But as I told my sons as seasons changed, it’s time for them to pick up the challenge.

It does get better.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post