SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The 10 Most Destructive Americans of My 8 Decades
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 10 Most Destructive Americans of My 8 Decades Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I would probably put that son of a bitch LBJ at number 1 because of how he killed the spirit of an entire race of people while making them think he was helping and created generations of welfare queens. What the Kenyan did ain't shit compared to what LBJ did.

I put LBJ at #1 as well. FDR created the welfare state, but Johnson put it on steroids and then weaponized it.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6404 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Maybe the worst thing FDR did was create Roosevelt Democrats, a huge swath of the American population, whose spawn to this day see his cartoon political image of the country. As much as anyone, he gave rise to insufferable, self-righteous, close-minded do-gooders. Or useful idiots, your choice.

He was also completely blind to the army of hard leftists in his administration.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Mark Felt, are you kidding me?

Felt wouldn't have needed to do anything involving the Watergate scandal, if not for the criminal acts of many people.

When it comes to Watergate, many people's actions were far more destructive than anything Mark Felt did, including the actions of Richard Nixon. Felt's actions were not merely interfering in political affairs, he was helping to expose a criminal conspiracy, that included the President.

Make no mistake about it, Felt was no saint, and his motivations were far from pure, but he's not the one who did harm to the US during the Watergate mess.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dog44:
Cry'in Chuck should make the list.

You are in good company.

Here is another opinion of Schumer:

quote:
Miguel Estrada really, really does not like Chuck Schumer. The high-powered lawyer from Honduras recently said he will not accept any nomination from the White House if it requires being "civil to Chuck Schumer."

The statement given to the National Law Journal comes as rumors swirl that Estrada is in the running to become Trump's next solicitor general. But so long as the job requires Senate confirmation and an audience with Schumer, Estrada isn't interested.

He has good reason to skip the opportunity. Sixteen years ago, Schumer, in a particularly foul manner, ruined the lawyer's shot at becoming a federal judge.

Back in 2001, Estrada was considered a shoo-in to become a justice on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit. With a Harvard degree and record of winning arguments in front of the Supreme Court, the Bush nominee was whip smart. But thanks to Schumer, he never even got a vote in the Senate. The New York Democrat filibustered his nomination seven times.

Democrats said publicly that they needed more information about Estrada. Schumer described the litigator as "a stealth missile—with a nose cone—coming out of the right wing's deepest silo." Liberals argued that they needed access to confidential documents from the Justice Department about Estrada in order to evaluate his record.

A brilliant political strategy, the request was specious legally. In fact, seven former solicitor generals wrote on Estrada's behalf, telling Democrats that unsealing Estrada's record would harm the Justice Department's ability "to defend vigorously the United States' litigation interests."

Nevertheless, Schumer persisted, insisting he couldn't vote on Estrada without all the facts. But the real reason was more shrewd and much more shameful. Democrats didn't want a Hispanic conservative to make it onto the Supreme Court.

In purloined emails that were later leaked to the press, an aide to Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin explained to his boss that strategists had "identified Miguel Estrada (D.C. Circuit) as especially dangerous, he is Latino, and the White House seems to be grooming him for a Supreme Court appointment." Afraid of that possibility, Schumer kept filibustering.

The Bush White House described Schumer's filibustering as "shameful politics." And after 28 months of being left in confirmation limbo, Estrada had enough. He withdrew his name from consideration and returned to private practice.

Clearly time has not healed that wound or taught civility to Schumer for that matter. Now that he's risen to the rank of minority leader, there's nothing to suggest that the Democrat has become any less partisan and vicious.
Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the very least, I would put Chief Justice John Roberts on the 'Dishonorable Mentions' list for his total abomination of a ruling on obamacare.

Posts: 3476 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Most of that list is nonsense. Cronkite? He was just a mirror. Kerry? Never had enough real power.

The winner, going away, is FDR. No one else can hold a candle to his destructive influence. Johnson's programs made it worse, but FDR's New Deal set the fire that is still burning.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Most of that list is nonsense. Cronkite? He was just a mirror. Kerry? Never had enough real power.

The winner, going away, is FDR. No one else can hold a candle to his destructive influence. Johnson's programs made it worse, but FDR's New Deal set the fire that is still burning.

He also made LBJ’s career in Congress, albeit with a lot of effort by LBJ. LBJ convinced FDR to approve a cost plus no bid contract with Brown and Root to build the Corpus Christi Naval Air Station, pretty good cheese for a freshman Congressman. Johnson had Brown and Root’s checkbook in his pocket to help his chosen candidates, the source of much of his famous persuasive abilities.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Strangely
Persuasive Monster
Picture of Swain0351
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hooch:
I would put Phil Donahue as an honorable mention, I think he started the pussifacation of American males.

"Arguing with a fool is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, shit on the board, and strut around like it's victorious." ~Anonymous

Posts: 10359 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FDR, continued.

Next time you listen to one of Trump's Supreme Court nominations called a facist or a racist ask for evidence; there will be none. However, you might remind them that there was a president who already nominated and placed on the Court a member of the KKK who was deeply involved in its leadership: Hugo Black.

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ted Kennedy deserves to be much higher on this list. If it were not for him we would not have our immigration problems.

FDR should be included.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
No mention of the people who opened the floodgates of China crap imports and trade deficits?

Trade deficit is a meaningless term. You have a trade deficit with your grocery store.

American companies exchange CASH for Chinese goods.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6043 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post