SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Only flyable C-123 goes off the runway during upstate NY air show
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Only flyable C-123 goes off the runway during upstate NY air show Login/Join 
posted

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hoping it can still make OSH this year after that...

Posts: 924 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
Not a pilot, but why couldn't they have used the ailerons to keep the left wing down?

Thanks,

JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Wow! I move never heard of that aircraft before now.

If I’d seen this video and had to guess I’d have assumed it was a Alenia C27J Spartan which is in current active US Military service, including the Coast guard. It’s a modern airplane.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Used plenty in Vietnam…

Posts: 1224 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We used to get rides on the C123s from one place to another when I was over there. I can't believe that was the only flyable one left.

The were a bit slow compared to the C130s, but these were just everywhere, it seemed.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:
Not a pilot, but why couldn't they have used the ailerons to keep the left wing down?

Thanks,

JP

It looks like he did have full aileron in when it was tipping. The question is did he have it in as soon as he had the wheels on the ground?

Those airplanes have a narrow stance, so they are tippy on the ground. I flew a similar aircraft quite a bit, the CASA 212, and it had the same characteristics. For no good reason it would trundle along on the ground with one wing dipped. On takeoff or landing any wiggling of the nosewheel or rudder would make the wings tip a lot.

Crosswind will get under a wing on the ground and try to tip it up. He had a lot of flap deployed, which increases the wind tipping.

It looks like a confluence of factors. A narrow runway which didn't give him room to deviate from the center line, a short runway which required significant landing flaps, and enough crosswind to tip the wing up.

Posts: 9459 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Wow. Hope the damage is repairable. That airshow was in my area.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Had numerous trips on C123s in RVN. Most memorable was a flight that flew in to a small improved airstrip to extract my Recon Platoon. Also loaded a bunch of Mountagnards and their animals. On rotation, people and animals slid down the floor to the (closed) ramp. Much hilarity ensued!

Little Rock Air Force Base has a C123 on static display.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chbibc:
Wow. Hope the damage is repairable. That airshow was in my area.

Rumor has it no damage to aircraft, just a bit of dirt thrown up by the excursion.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16362 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post