SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2013 f150 ecoboost oil leak
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2013 f150 ecoboost oil leak Login/Join 
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Ooo, ooo! I'll get in on it too. Our Pacifica has 140k miles on it with no leaks!

OPs words:
"...it is leaking from a plate above the turbo...

I am thinking of having the serpentine belt, turbos, and this piece repaired all at once."

This isn't a gasket problem. There are parts that have failed: Some plate and apparently both turbos.

The ecoboost is a stout engine but it has its problems and most certainly the earlier generations of the ecoboost have the balance of them.

I don't trust it yet.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Ooo, ooo! I'll get in on it too. Our Pacifica has 140k miles on it with no leaks!

OPs words:
"...it is leaking from a plate above the turbo...

I am thinking of having the serpentine belt, turbos, and this piece repaired all at once."

This isn't a gasket problem. There are parts that have failed: Some plate and apparently both turbos.

The ecoboost is a stout engine but it has its problems and most certainly the earlier generations of the ecoboost have the balance of them.

I don't trust it yet.

Did you fail to read the rest of my posts?

There is nothing wrong with the turbos, or even the vacuum pump. There is a rubber gasket on the VP that can fail, and it did. That part is 9 dollars. The dealerships wanted to cab off, replace the VP gasket. 12 hours of billable labor for a 9 dollar part. If that was my only option, i would have combined labor costs and replaced the turbos, serpentine, aux belt, and VP. I plabned to do this as preventative maintence.

I chose to do the work myself when the dealerships would not come down from the 12 hours labor. I chose to replace the 71.27 dollar VP with 5 dollar shipping. It came with a new gasket. Total working time was about 5 hours labor for a realitively newb like me.

So please stop putting words in my mouth and pissing all over my thread.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
First off, my original post wasn't even about your issue, it was about the video.

Then everyone started quoting me like I was going after you about the ecoboost, which I wasn't. Including you.

Your own OP says that you were thinking of having the turbos repaired. No where in any subsequent post did you say that they weren't a problem so I took you at your word that they were. So yea, I read your posts.

I wasn't going after you and am not going after you. Nor did I shit all over your thread.

I'm glad it turned out to be just a gasket and the rest of your engine is fine.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Yep, I tried to talk my brother out of spending $40k for a used 2014 or 15' with a ton of crap on it he will never ever use, let alone ever figure out.

At the cost of these things 150k better be about broke in. Not breaking down.

Not a fan.

Glad to hear you got yours back up and on the road Dgrouse. Nice job.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
The powertrain warranty should still be good to cover that unless you have over 60,000 miles?

Edited to add: Nevermind, read the rest of the thread. I have a 2014 F150 Ecoboost that just went out of warranty and I'm nervous about stuff like this. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
The powertrain warranty should still be good to cover that unless you have over 60,000 miles?

Edited to add: Nevermind, read the rest of the thread. I have a 2014 F150 Ecoboost that just went out of warranty and I'm nervous about stuff like this. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

This is the first issue i have had. Total repair cost with fenderwell push stays was under 90 bucks.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
While that is great Dgrouse. Not everyone is into doing their own mechanicing

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which is why I posted the process I went through. So that others can find a shop that will no hose you with this 12 hour cab off crap. If it took a newb like me 5 hours, including a rounded bolt removal. Most shops could do it in 3.

posted Hide Post
I know lots of people like them but I just don't see that these turbo engines have anywhere near enough of an advantage over the normally aspirated engine to risk the higher repair costs. I'd definitely want an extended warranty for one.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3539 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:

This is the first issue i have had. Total repair cost with fenderwell push stays was under 90 bucks.

I'm not that handy, for me it would be $5000 at the dealership for this repair. Wink

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:

I'm not that handy, for me it would be $5000 at the dealership for this repair. Wink

I have worked on my cars twice, installing my wifes FMIC, turbosmart waste gate on her Focus RS, and this Vacuum pump on my truck. It was a bit of work, It was not difficult, just work. All I used was
8mm ratchet wrench,
10mm ratchet wrench,
lug nut wrench
and Trim removal tool (splayed flat head screw driver) for fender liner.

I do hear you about the 5k.
here is how it was breaking down from the dealer
12 hours cab off and on
4 hours Vacuum pump
6 hours Turbo replacement
4 hours serpentine belt, water pump and tensioner
2 hours AUX belt
that is 28 hours of labor at 120$ 3360$
The VP was 365 dealer price,
Turbos were 1365
serp, wp and aux were 700
For a total of 5790.

On the flip side, the turbos would come off easier than the VP did. I found out during this I can get a NEW set of turdblew's for 700. Sure there will be some gasket costs and other bits, but still a far cry away from 1300. Part of the reason I abhorred the idea of letting the dealer do the work is that I would replace the turbos to save on having to cab off. As that is what every shop said i had to do. horse shit.

They go through the fender well. On top of that, most of these 3.5l turbos are not going at 100k, or 150k, They finally go at 250+ so, that gave me even more incentive to look at other options.

Basically, this whole cab off crap is just so dealerships can charge book rate of 16 hours on a 4 hour job.

Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
I found out during this I can get a NEW set of turdblew's for 700.

Where can you get them? I have a 2012 with 136,000 miles. I haven't had any problems with the engine and I plan to keep it for a long time.

Posts: 3231 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a ser on f150 ecoboost owner facebook group for 600 shipped

I emailed your gmail a copy of the posting