SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any one had problems with a smartphone screen protector?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any one had problems with a smartphone screen protector? Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
Sounds redundant, but just asking.

I recently replaced my HTC M8 with a Samsung S9.
I ordered a set of tempered glass (2) screen protector from Ebay. Overlooked they were shipped from China. Finally arrived this week, taking 5 weeks shipping.

I installed the screen protector, the fit was excellent, however, it affected the touch sensitivity , now I have to tap very hard to engage icons. This has never happened with any of my previous smartphones I've installed screen protectors on.

I am going to order a new set (not from China!), to try to correct this.

Anyone ever had this same problem?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I can't find it on my S7, but I swore there was a setting to use if you had gloves on. It made touch more sensitive. I was going to suggest trying that setting.

Posts: 3571 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I use Maxboost from Amazon and have had zero touch problems. As good as Zagg.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
The touch sensitivity is adjustable on the s9. Once I turned mine up, my screen protector works great.

Changing the sensitivity is in settings/advanced features and scroll all the way to the bottom where there is a switch to turn on the additional touch sensitivity.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2446 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
Settings, Advanced Features. Scroll to the bottom and turn on Touch Sensitivity.

Get a Touchstone Dome screen protector. Expensive but worth it when you have a curved edge screen.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Nope. Tempered glass on my business 6, my old personal 6, and my current personal x. No changes in sensitivity.

Some brands are better than others on smudges.

BTW, my tempered glass on my business 6 saved me a whole lot of paperwork when it prevented a screen break. Tempered glass shattered but zero damage to iPhone screen.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23093 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I always get one off Amazon with a decent review to support it. I also try to find one where shipping is fulfilled by Amazon so I don't have to wait for shipping from China. Mostly, I've stopped using ebay unless I just can't find what I'm looking for anywhere else.

However, looking back at the one I ordered from Amazon for my Galaxy S9, it has a horrible review score and is no longer available. I vaguely remember having trouble putting it on straight without air bubbles. So ignore what I said up there.

I believe I ended up spending $50 for one at the T-mobile store and had the sales guy put it on for me so I wouldn't screw it up. That one is still on my phone and works for me.

Posts: 3367 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
THANKS SIG FORUM .

For years I used HTC phones, this is my first Samsung. Even though I am obligated to carry insurance on this phone, I have had good results and protection from installing screen protectors on previous phones.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by car541:
The touch sensitivity is adjustable on the s9. Once I turned mine up, my screen protector works great.

Changing the sensitivity is in settings/advanced features and scroll all the way to the bottom where there is a switch to turn on the additional touch sensitivity.

Done, its much more responsive now. I would have never found this. TY

美しい犬

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Something to look into. Because my OnePlus 3 has a bit of a domed screen, tempered glass screen savers have to have a certain pattern in the glass for them to function correctly with my screen (often seen as a rainbow like refraction in the protector). I tried a protector without the pattern in the glass and touch sensitivity was horrible. Changed to one with the pattern in the glass, and sensitivity was almost as good as with no protector installed. Fully flat screens like those on the iPhones seem far less sensitive to the type of screen protector installed on them.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I had that same problem on my new S9 Note. My salesman said I would have that problem for a week or two until it adapted to me. I was skeptical but he was right. I also turned up sensitivity at the start too. Weird but it works fine now.

Posts: 12430 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I use the ESR tempered glass protectors on my iPhone 8+, and am very pleased with them. They come with a template like thing that fits over the phone, making placement of the protector almost foolproof. I have not noticed any touch sensitivity issues with them. They do fracture pretty easily if you drop the phone, but they protect the phone's screen from the same fate. With any of them you have to make sure the protector is completely free of dust particles once you peel off the part that exposes the sticky back. Most come with a little adhesive patch that will lift up the dust particles.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I always buy zagg glass. pricy at about 35 or 45 bucks but they give a replacement anytime it breaks with 2 kids who drop the phone I get a chipped screen about ever 4 months, they replace it no questions asked.

very happy with them and the customer service to a get a new screen takes minutes on line. no recpit no problem, give an estimated purchase date and be sure to ship back one of their screens and you are good. when you get your replacement screen they give you the envelope and everything to return the broken one.

very happy

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5128 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I never use them, tried once but it cut so down on the screen optically I took it off after 10 minutes.

Maybe I got a bad one?

The iPhone screens are pretty tough out of the box.

Posts: 33580 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I use Maxboost from Amazon and have had zero touch problems. As good as Zagg.

I got one too, I love the template they give you for lining it up correctly.

Make it count

Posts: 1411 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Whitestone Dome screen protector in my Samsung Galaxy S9+ with no problems.

The installation is harrowing. But if you can get through that it is a very nice screen protector. The edges are curved so you really do get full coverage.

Posts: 6605 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
My wife and I just got iPhone XRs on Black Saturday, and we were shocked on how much screen protecters were there at the T-Mobile store. We went straight to Best Buy afterward and picked up a couple of cases, but the least expensive tempered glass covers were out of stock.

I ordered them(Insignia screen protecter 2 pack)on-line from Best Buy for $19.99, and they arrived Friday. With the use of the plastic template, they both installed perfectly, and they are adhering as good as can be. We're really happy, especially for the money.

BTW, we left the plastic on the front of the phones until they protecters arrived since we are so squeamish on keeping our phones like new.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1159 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The ESR tempered glass screen protectors I mentioned above are $9.99 for a 2 pack.

ESR screen protectors at Amazon.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post