SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Runners: How do you keep your feet dry thru snow and slush? UPDATED Jan 1
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Runners: How do you keep your feet dry thru snow and slush? UPDATED Jan 1 Login/Join 
posted
I know, use a treadmill. I have access to one (for free), but it means driving several miles and I'd rather just run in my neighborhood.

I did a quick search and found this link with several socks that claim to your feet dry.

https://www.runnersworld.com/g...inter-running-socks/

These Gore Tex socks are not cheap ($70), has anyone tired them?

https://www.amazon.com/Wear-Wa....a.22788105[src|[ch|

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15912 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Well, I haven’t found a way. Wateproof socks might help, but when there is snow or slush, I run on my treadmill.

There is a dike by the river that is blacktop on top, snow and slush usually melt away pretty fast.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3439 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Well, when we were kids, mom made us wear Wonder Bread bags over our socks.
OK, some times it was Roman Meal.

Worked,though.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:

Worked,though.

Hey, I did that in college (Syracuse NY area) when I couldn't afford good boots. But those boots were made for walkin' and that's just what they'll do.

Have you tried the bags (or Saran wrap) for running? I would guess your feet would sweat big time, which may be better than getting soaked from the snow.

Posts: 15912 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At one time, Salomon made Gore-Tex runners. I have a pair and only wear them in really wet weather. I dont know if they still make them or not.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16126 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
At one time, Salomon made Gore-Tex runners. I have a pair and only wear them in really wet weather. I dont know if they still make them or not.

These?

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/...1287dfac0e1e09c39aa9

Not sure if I want to spend that much on a shoe I'll wear maybe a dozen or so times a year. I'm liking the Wonder Bread wrapper idea! We talk about this every few years, if there was an easy solution I forgot it.

FWIW, I intended to post this under the Lair, not the Lounge.

posted Hide Post
I HATE running in the cold/wet! Not to mention, the added hazards of slipping or tripping.

When we retired from the USAF, we built our home. My only must-have was a third stall garage heated gym. It's awesome. If you are maybe interested in purchasing your own, don't scrimp. I'm currently evaluating a warranty replacement I got from Icon Health and Fitness. It's pretty good, except that I experience roller runaway at 15 degree inclines, a software upgrade dropped my setting menu and the (fully functional) built in camera is susceptible to hacking. That and I don't know how long I can expect the machine to last under my frequent use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lTrMn8prgE&t=3s

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Worked,though.

You got pictures?? Did you wear potato sacks too? It is handy to put plastic bags over your expensive leather shoes in inch high water. Better than golashes or rubbers as my naive grandmother called them.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I keep my feet dry by "running" indoors Smile

I see runners out there running in the most astonishing conditions. Gotta give 'em props, but I ain't doin' that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
"Waterproof" socks or shoes that also breathe well are a bit like unicorns.

And things that don't breathe well are terrible, IMO.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I run in wool defeet socks. They get wet I suppose, but they stay pretty warm. I stay out of the deep slush. I'll run in 3-5 inches of snow if need be, but it has to be cold and dry. I use Yack-Trax for traction over my Brooks shoes.

Posts: 11399 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I wore wool socks and avoided the deeper puddles. I found that with a good wool sock and shoe that didn't hold water in, my feet stayed warm even though wet. I wore my last years summer shoes as the water and salt/crud mix isn't that great for them.

YakTrax on the shoes if needed, but the ice was the bigger reason for not running outside.

Of course, I've lived in neighborhoods where I could run in the road safely. I'd even occasionally widen my path with a plow on my ATV.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8346 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Salomon GTX shoes might help, that is what I used this morning in the cold and wet.

Hoka has their WP Speedgoat but that is a pure dirt shoe.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run in the rain and on trails with multiple water crossings and my feet get wet all the time but they never get cold.

Posts: 997 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've had 2 pair of these for almost 2 decades. Use them with hunting boots to stay warm and dry. Kind like a cross between knit and neoprene. Don't recall the brand but here's the logo on them. Maybe an old Sealskinz logo? Dunno

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16257 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Twenty-five years of distance running coupled with over seven years of working in a running store have given me some insights. First, there _ARE_ waterproof/resistant running shoes. I have a pair of Saucony Ride GTX (a Gore-Tex mark) but other shoe makers have equivalents. Here is a link to some reviews. The key is to make sure your running shoes have enough room and aren't pinching your feet. Because you're going to want to wear Merino wool socks. I've also run in Mohair wool socks, but they are a bit bulkier.

Merino wool is a miracle fiber. If you think wool is scratchy and thick, you haven't worn Merino. When I travel to Iceland, my entire wardrobe is Merino wool: base layer, middle layer, jacket, tights, socks, etc. I've never had a problem being cold. And if I should get wet, the Merino wool helps keep me warm - I don't notice the wet.

Finally, it may be obvious, but if you're running properly, your gaze is about 10 meters (30 feet) ahead of your feet. You plan your footsteps as you run, and avoid big, slushy and icy patches.

I love running in the snow (oh, if there's a lot of it, you might consider adding Yaktraks to your shoes)!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We sell some waterproof running sneakers made by New Balance at my work. So there are true running shoes that are waterproof. We usually put ours on sale at a pretty good discount after the season is over. Definitely try them on with whatever socks you will be wearing with them.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
When I run in the snow, I let my wet feet steam like the rest of me. Run faster. Smile

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:

Worked,though.

It works for me too! I'm now using 7x21" bags that cover the morning paper, they're great. Yeah, my feet sweat a little, but it's much better than getting them soaked from slush or freezing when it's dry but cold.

FWIW, in the winter months I'm out for about an hour (sometimes less), but zoom6zoom has the "budget" solution. Well, his mother did.

Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
I run trails locally year round and have found the best combination for Fall/Winter to be running shoes with gore-Tex liners, light to mid weight sythentic or merino wool blend socks, and breathable waterproof gaiters either ankle or calf height depending on what you’re running through as well as how fast you’re running through it. If it’s hardpack I go with ankle height, slush/soft/mixed and I go with calf height.

My current kit is La Sportiva Ultra Raptors, Darn Tough Vertex Micro Crew Ultra-Light Cushion Running Socks, and Rab Hunza or Hispar gaiters. Gaiters add a surprising amount of warmth so you don’t need much sock (or at least I don’t), and with a combination similar to the above my feet stay dry/warm over my typical weekend long run which is 8-10 miles over wet and hilly terrain.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2696 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post