SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Did you ever “hypnotize” a chicken?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did you ever “hypnotize” a chicken? Login/Join 
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
This thread was prompted by an article I read that said chickens could recognize human faces, and they clearly recognized me.

If you think of wild turkeys as a relative of your chickens, that explains what would happen when I would throw out cracked corn for them in the winter and they would come w/in 10' feet of me as I threw the corn out.
One day they showed up for a snack and I asked my brother to go out and throw some cracked corn down for them. They all scattered the hell out of there as soon as they saw him instead of me.

Posts: 7368 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
Tucking their head under their wing puts them out as well.

I learned to do that in South America. One of the local men would tuck the chicken's head under its wing, then pick the chicken up and waive it around in a vertical circular motion, like an "O", and then set it down. It would just stay there immobilized for quite a while. When I tried it, it worked like a charm.

Yes, I did this to many chickens when I was growing up many many years ago. They would stay still for quite a while.

Posts: 416 | Location: Near Dallas, TX | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Archie Teuthis:
Animal folks call this a tonic state or tonic immobility.
There’s a fellow in Jupiter, FL I’ve watched do this to sharks. He then removes fishing hooks.

Killer whales do this to large sharks to make it easier to feed on them.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
My grandmother had chickens but she never taught me that one. She did give me a baby chick that I raised to an adult hen who was a nice little pet. She would come to me when I called, eat out of my hand, and let me pet her.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2108 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I heard you can hypnotize a cassowary by dropping to the ground in front of them.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43911 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I heard you can hypnotize a cassowary by dropping to the ground in front of them.

You can certainly gain their undivided attention.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I've done it with a shark. Just roll them over on their back.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7958 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It never works. They won't concentrate on the pocket watch.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Yup. Did the line in the sand, and tucking the head. Both work.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5334 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I've done it with a shark. Just roll them over on their back.
I did it with a baby whale back when I was dating...

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15487 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I dated her sister...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43911 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Do the chickens have large talons?

Posts: 26933 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Never mind. I thought this was about an Iggy Pop song.

Or an Iggy and the Stooges song.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8114 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
Yes, but did it a different way. Push their neck down against the ground and draw a line in the sand running out away from their beak about a foot. Repeat that several times and they are glued to looking at the line. Plenty of time to go get the hatchet or whatnot.

I didn’t know of the method you describe, and it’s utterly weird. Here’s Wikipedia’s description of it:

“A chicken can be "hypnotized", or put into a trance, by holding its head down against the ground, and drawing a line along the ground with a stick or a finger, starting at the beak and extending straight outward in front of the chicken. If the chicken is hypnotized in this manner, it will remain immobile for somewhere between 15 seconds and 30 minutes, continuing to stare at the line…”

https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonic_immobility

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8992 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
But it does work. Lay them on their side, head to the ground, and draw that line out straight from their beak. Repeat a number of times, then slowly release your hold. They stay put.

I always thought of it as “chicken tipping”

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5334 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianC:
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

Gators do that too. Lay them on their back and they go to sleep.

I'll take your word for that. Razz

I've only done it on the itty bitty ones Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I was waiting for this.

quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
No, but I've choked one.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post