SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Miramar Air Show question:
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Miramar Air Show question: Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
Has anyone gone? I'm trying to gather information on the 2017 show, as it will be my first time going. There's a major problem, though:

With 18 weeks left before the show, they've yet to update their website. I have to plan for this a long way out and I'm going to be attending with a teenage boy whose parents are willing to let him go with me but want some info. I've been checking on the site since December and it's still showing 2016 information.

When does it get updated!?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18090 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The Blue Angels are scheduled for Miramar in September.

http://miramarairshow.com

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

I sent a Gmail to you...

The show is scheduled September 22 - 24th 2017 with June 1 being the date grandstand & box tickets (not required) go on sale...

Posts: 2866 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the date for ticket sales, sleepla8er. That's basically what I've been waiting for, since I already know the show date. I wanted to get some primo seating, possibly in one of the air show center pavilions and don't want to miss an opportunity.

This kid I'm taking is interested in the military when most kids at the school he attends aren't, but his parents haven't taken him to any shows. They have no issue with him going but don't have the time to do it themselves.

Im trying to make it as memorable for him (and myself) as possible.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18090 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:...

This kid I'm taking is interested in the military when most kids at the school he attends aren't, but his parents haven't taken him to any shows. They have no issue with him going but don't have the time to do it themselves.

Im trying to make it as memorable for him (and myself) as possible.

Thank you. I give you a great deal of respect for doing this, and I hope you both have a blast.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44444 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Has anyone gone?

I've been to it, but it was 20 or so years ago. (IIRC, it was a year or two after the Top Gun school moved).

It was a terrific show - highly recommended.

Posts: 6565 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone gone? I'm trying to gather information on the 2017 show, as it will be my first time going. There's a major problem, though:

Yup. The major problem is Miramar Road. It's a real pain in the ass.
Always a good show. Don't forget the sunscreen and stuff.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I went to the airshow nearly every year for decades. A couple of times I flew in, to put our plane on static display, making the arduous flight non stop from Montgomery Field, 3.5 miles away.

One year, in the static display, I ran into a T38 with "BGEN JIM ALLEN" stenciled on it! That set my heart pitter patting!

It's a great weekend, sunny, sometimes hot, crowded. The Marines, and Navy before then, did a good job of handling the crowds, although security may have gotten to the point that it is tedious to endure.

Take some cash to buy squadron hats and t-shirts from the units for their rec funds.

It's glorious to be among young men and women disciplined, responsible, polite, well groomed, working together. The show itself is awesome. The arrivals and departures of all the aircraft alone is worth the time before and afterwards.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We now live in Scripps Ranch directly to the north of Miramar MCAS. You'd better love the sound of freedom if you live here!
Hornets, Ospreys, and various helicopters, occasional Hercs coming and going day and night.
Now that I have a base pass for the San Diego area I wonder if I'll have access to anything special on the days of the show?

Posts: 18347 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Went the 2 years I attended San Diego State U (2007/08-2008/09) and had a great time both times. Unfortunately can't help with the info you're looking for, but believe it'll be worth your while. Used to do Edwards Air Force shows with my dad before that and felt Miramar was just about as good. Saw the Thunderbirds in 07 and Blue Angels in 08, thought the BA was a little better so if they are there, that's a big plus. Hopefully it works out and you 2 enjoy the show.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, was just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2543 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I wanted to get some primo seating, possibly in one of the air show center pavilions and don't want to miss an opportunity...

The Miramar Airshow Event Map is the 3rd map located at the bottom of this website:
http://MiramarAirshow.com/directions
Click on the "download" text to have it open in a new window, then click on the map to enlarge it.

The "primo seating airshow center pavilions" at Miramar are called Chalets.

The public is welcomed to buy seats in the Devil Dog Alley Chalets, Observation Deck Chalets, and Semper Fi Chalets.

The American Flag on the map is airshow center and the 3 Devil Dog Chalets are just behind it. The 2 Observation Deck Chalets and 2 Semper Fi Chalets are further to the right but with a better view of the Blue's aircraft if you enjoy their walkout to/from the aircraft.

The Chalets will have different pricing, as they offer different levels of food & drink services and VIP parking. Don't think the location of the Chalet as being that important, the view from all of them is fantastic!

To the left of the Devil Dog Alley Chalet are the Grandstand seats and in front of them, are the box seats. The space from the front of the Chalets to the gold line is filled with chairs where you can watch the show even through the map doesn't show the chairs. Inside the Chalets is more seating, tables for eating, food, and drink services.

The best aspect of being in the Chalet is the shade it provides from the Sun as well as porta-potties inside the Chalet security line which means less of a line to use them.

Posts: 2866 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to the show last year and bought grandstand seating tickets. If you aren't going with a group, I'd recommend grandstand and sit on the back/top row. You'll be above everyone in front of you and you'll get a nice breeze to keep you cool. Trust me, it gets hot on the flightline.
Getting on to the base was easy and the road to the parking was taped off to keep you going the correct way.

D7K_0910_81 by Dustin Kellerman, on Flickr

Posts: 148 | Location: San Diego, California | Registered: May 24, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We got chalet seating last year. It does provide shade and water; but the seating, folding tables and chairs, doesn't have any risers, so you will be competing with others for a view at the netting.
I'd still go that way because of the comfort, and probably will. This year I hope we can go with my daughter's father-in-law and his grandkids; the grandson is determined he wants to be an F-35 pilot.

Posts: 18347 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've attended several times, I usually meet up with a friend and his sons who live down there. When the boys were younger, we'd go on Friday when the crowds were manageable and parking wasn't a competitive event. It's September in San Diego and it'll be hot down there, especially after 5-hours of walking around on the apron. Bring plenty of sunblock, fluids and your own shade. Now that the Marines own the base, they put on a pretty good ground combat demonstration, along with all the airplane demonstrations. In general, one of the better military air shows in the state. Nellis was pretty impressive if only for the sheer variety and volume of aircraft that was on display.

Posts: 15054 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
So corsair, what other shows are really good, when and where?

BTW they used to have a "Wings over Gillespie" show with WW II warbirds, but don't have the volunteer staff to put it together now, apparently. That's what I was told anyway.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
If you don't plan to spend the entire weekend at Miramar, here are some other aircraft things of interest:

The Glider Port. On the coast, immediately west of UCSD. Hang gliders, parasails, and noiseless RC gliders can stay aloft indefinitely in the rising off-ocean breeze. You can stand within a few feet of the takeoff & landing zone. Free, but no activity except on weekend days. Has a sandwich shop too, the Cliff Hanger Cafe.

The Aerospace Museum at Balboa Park. Has a YF-12 (SR-71 variant) on static display out front, and many other interesting aircraft inside.

The Midway aircraft carrier anchored in San Diego bay, now a museum. Many interesting aircraft, and you can tour the guts of the carrier.

If you're arriving by air, have a look at the Spirit of St. Louis replica hanging in terminal 2. The real one was built in San Diego.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9432 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

BTW they used to have a "Wings over Gillespie" show with WW II warbirds, but don't have the volunteer staff to put it together now, apparently. That's what I was told anyway.

Isn't that out at Gillespie Field anymore?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

Travis AFB was pretty good if you were into big, big cargo aircraft, C-17, C-5, KC-10, KC-135... There was a crash a couple of years ago that resulted in some spectators being killed. That show resumed just last weekend.

Wings over Wine Country at the Sonoma Co Airport in Santa Rosa, has gotten better over the years. A good mix of military, heritage and civilian performers with a better than average static display. The Pacific Coast Air Museum is housed there so they roll-out some of their aircraft: just about all the retired Navy aircraft from the last 30-years (yes, including an F-14), F-15, A-4, A-26, F-105, F-106, a few Russian models...

CA Int'l Airshow in Salinas, like the Sonoma show has been a consistently good show, a healthy mix of civilian stunt planes and military. They used to have more military but, not as many lately. Couple of years ago a B-1 was available for static display, don't see them too often out here.

Nellis AFB in Vegas is at the end of the season and is one of the best just for the sheer number of aircraft you'll get to see on static display; it's an insane variety. Being in the USAF's premier training areas, you'll also see foreign country's aircraft as well.

Edwards AFB doesn't have a show every year but, when they do, you can be sure to see some exotics. It's a ways out there in the desert so attendance isn't as insane as you'd see at Nellis or, Miramar. Various test aircraft from all services, including NASA aircraft and various trivia-buff oddities. They haven't had a show in awhile now.

LA Country Air Show in Lancaster at Fox Airfield, seems to have taken over air show duties for the region. While not as many interesting aircraft as it's big neighbor at Edwards, it's a bit easier to get to and you don't have to take shuttle buses from parking areas to display areas like at Edwards.

Planes of Fame Airshow at Chino Airport is arguably the best show for historic aircraft, just had their show last weekend. The Planes of Fame museum is there and I believe they have the largest collection of piston-engined aircraft in the country. Lots and lots of WWII aircraft. I believe this show has taken-over where Wings of Gillespie left-off, being a great show for flying enthusists.

Reno Air Races, while not a 'show' in the traditional sense, if you like airplanes, this event should be high on your list to attend. While there's racing in the sky above, there's also plenty of static displays, the military and various govt agencies will send their aircraft up to hang-out. Always a sight to see military fighter pilots geeking out over the racing P-51s, Bearcats, Spitfires and Sea Fury's

Posts: 15054 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I went to the California International Airshow quite often in my teens and twenties, but I've only been less than a half dozen times since then. I had the pleasure of seeing the first Russian demonstration team, flying MiG-29s, allowed in the U.S. in 1992. They were there in '91, but had to be recalled that week before the show started because of the Russian coup. I was also present for this accident, though I forget the year:

https://youtu.be/BJWjbpA_zIc

The one I truly miss is the Moffett Field air show.

Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I went to the 2016 show. We had chalet seating as well. We'll be repeating the trip this year.

Posts: 4093 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post