SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best recipe for southern fried chicken?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best recipe for southern fried chicken? Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't make it at home. Too messy.

I imagine. But these recipes are making me hungry. I think I'll try it on the gas grill outside on the extra burner.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38712 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
You guys gonna hate me. But Publix fried chicken. So good and like $10 for a 8 piece.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8856 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
You guys came through again!
I used Chx wings because the thighs were deboned, and apparently that’s sacrilege.
I did soak the wings in buttermilk for a bit, not too long because of the conflict between folks who did and didn’t, then I salted, peppered and garlic the chx. Let them drip on a rack, then tossed them in a bag of flour with a bit of cornstarch, used my cast iron Dutch oven w lid off for 10 min/side with Crisco. I have leaf lard, that would be better? Or bacon grease? I put the wings on a rack to dry after frying them. No paper towels for grease. It was great, but should I use paper towel to degrease after they cool a bit?

Thanks for all the tips, and I’ll review the ones that came in after I started the process as I have more wings to play with.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5340 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thread. I like the look of the Alton Brown recipe. I made fried chicken last week just "winging it" and I used panko and fried in skillet with canola oil, and it was no bueno. Now I know what to do. Def will use lard the next time.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Thanks for the thread. I like the look of the Alton Brown recipe. I made fried chicken last week just "winging it" and I used panko and fried in skillet with canola oil, and it was no bueno. Now I know what to do. Def will use lard the next time.

Would that be a typical coating for frying fish (just guessing you’d know by your screen name)?

"Trust, but verify."

posted Hide Post

Posts: 45 | Registered: April 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:

Would that be a typical coating for frying fish (just guessing you’d know by your screen name)?

Yes it would, for deep frying. But I rarely fry fish. Usually I grill salmon or halibut. I do pan-fry trout when I'm backpacking.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:

If I may - what kind of coating? I like a cornmeal coating for catfish, shrimp, and for oysters. But for cod (fish and chips) it is a beer batter. And a Japanese tempura goes nicely on fish and shrimp, too.

What are you looking for?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You guys gonna hate me. But Publix fried chicken. So good and like $10 for a 8 piece.

I second this- One of the famous chef's (can't remember who right now) said that everytime he comes down to Florida he get's Publix fried chicken.

Posts: 342 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Actually, the nearby Popeye's has good chicken, but I quit using them when they quit having green beans.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
So I appreciate all the responses- what I was looking for was a genuine recipe from your own home - not necessarily something from the net.
I’m happy with the way things turned out for the wings that I cooked, and I will try it with thighs later this week.
Per the fish, I have a more complicated “coating” if you will, and that’s why I was curious… like most I’ve been sworn to secrecy.

"Trust, but verify."

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alyron:
quote:

I second this- One of the famous chef's (can't remember who right now) said that everytime he comes down to Florida he get's Publix fried chicken.

Publix is decent and definitely good enough for a Yankee. Smile

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10494 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by Alyron:
quote:

Publix is decent and definitely good enough for a Yankee. Smile

Except us Yankees way up here don’t have Publix Wink
What we do have right now is approximately -50 degrees with the windchill. Hence the desire to fry up some chicken and pretend it’s summer.

"Trust, but verify."

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Ok, I grew up this stuff… Haven’t had a good southern fried piece of chicken in at least a decade or more… There used to be a southern restaurant here, but long gone.

I made a buttermilk marinade… Wow!… Does it ever smell like ranch dressing! Who would’ve thunk it?

Now for the wait…

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

I made a buttermilk marinade… Wow!… Does it ever smell like ranch dressing! Who would’ve thunk it?

Do you prefer to wallow, or would you like to be told that ranch dressing is made with buttermilk?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

Do you prefer to wallow, or would you like to be told that ranch dressing is made with buttermilk?

Roll Eyes

That’s a reply coming from something that has the IQ of room temperature tapwater

Go have a glass of buttermilk and tell me if it taste like a bottle of ranch dressing

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Well there's always Kent Rollins the Cowboy Cook.

Posts: 11860 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Roasted new potatoes

Draining buttermilk marinade

Melting the lard

Outta the pot into the pan

Looking good …

Rest of the bird

Voila

~Robert A. Heinlein

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'd eat it!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Me, too! Was that Crisco?

"Trust, but verify."