SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FL man uses CCW badge to cheat Wendy's out of LEO discount
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FL man uses CCW badge to cheat Wendy's out of LEO discount Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I could "kindasorta" see a CCW badge as a wall or desk decoration (I am not personally so inclined), but would certainly never carry it around or show it, let alone use it for fraudulent purposes.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I continued to not allow police discounts in my department unless the discount was offered to the community at large. Some places like MacDonald's insisted on taking if off your bill, and most of us dealt with it by leaving a tip that made up the difference. I even visited a couple of restaurants to ask the proprietors to not put officers in the awkward position of giving police discounts. Some places the officers would not go into because it became embarrassing. But you are right, you don't want to get in a pissing match over it.

I understand stores wanting to visibly attract officers into their stores with discounts, and much of that stems from the days that LEO salaries were shamefully low. But the average officer's salary in Florida now is around $60k, with a minimum starting pay of $50k.

Someone once asked me if taking free meals or coffee was like a bribe. My response was that it's like being a little bit pregnant.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Wendy’s around here would be glad to have a fake LEO (or anyone else for that matter) eat there. I don’t know how they keep the lights on. The last couple times I ate at Wendy’s I was surprised at how dry and generally piss-poor the hamburgers were.

They’re sure wasting a pantload of money on TV ads, to turn around and provide swill to people who come in to grab a quick bite.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no free cup of coffee....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 252 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
CCW badge= STUPID IDEA!!

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5402 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is some karma killing weapons grade petty bullshit right there.

Using a ccw badge to get a perk meant to thank first responders?

Go fuck right off.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Wendy’s around here would be glad to have a fake LEO (or anyone else for that matter) eat there. I don’t know how they keep the lights on. The last couple times I ate at Wendy’s I was surprised at how dry and generally piss-poor the hamburgers were.

They’re sure wasting a pantload of money on TV ads, to turn around and provide swill to people who come in to grab a quick bite.

There salads and chilli were good. I did like the chicken wraps but they no longer offer them.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If given one when I was on the job, I would always leave a larger tip equal to equal out the difference. I'm all for it if it gives the wait staff some extra coin in their pockets.

Posts: 21 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Sure hope that discount was worth a felony charge.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I sure hope the nasty “DOUBLE” sandwich was worth it fuckstick.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12640 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I can't be a hard-ass on police discounts for fast food places and the like. It's far from a bribe. It's a minor consideration like veterans or senior citizen discounts.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
A major irritant for me during my years as a cop. I suppose it is remotely possible that some folks want to give a discount as a little "thank you" gesture, but for the most part those who give discounts expect special treatment in return.

Discounts or free meals at restaurants. Free tickets to sports events. Free drinks at bars. Free rent for cops living in apartment projects with the expectation of extra patrols or security services. Sweetheart deals at auto dealerships. Flash the badge for free admission at the movie theaters. I saw a lot of this crap over the years, always made me angry.

When I became the chief the policy manual was very plain:

Those who accepted any discount or special treatment would be subject to disciplinary action, minimum one-day suspension without pay for the first offense.

Those who solicited (asked for) any discount or special treatment because of their positions would be fired.

I remember one guy who was involved in a domestic squabble with his girlfriend, smacked her around a little bit, then got into a traffic accident while under the influence, tried to get the responding officer to cut him a break. I served him with notice of termination in the holding cell at county jail, then requested the DA add charges for unlawful attempt to influence a public servant in performance of duty. Made for a very interesting arraignment and bail hearing. For some reason that guy still doesn't like me very much, even 30 years later.

Some cops are special people. Some are special stupid.

How about the places that give discounts as a matter of their policy?

One of the troopers assigned to my area went into one of our local stop and robs. They gave him a discount. He didn’t want it as a matter of their policy. Almost turned into a pissin’ match w/ the clerk. He didn’t want the discount and the clerk was saying too bad it is their policy and he is getting it. Almost embarrassing standing there watch it unfold.

I remember a restaurant that always comp'd meals for cops. I never argued, just leave full payment and tip on the table and let them decide what to do with the cash. I left enough to cover my order plus a decent tip, not my problem after that.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post