SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Indoor humidity help
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Indoor humidity help Login/Join 
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted
First, I live in Florida near the coast, so one can definitely expect humidity during the summer.

But other homes I visit don’t struggle like ours does. During the warm months, our house is rarely below 70% humidity, and we even set the AC at 68 degrees to help. (During the day, it usually runs about 72.) The AC system is only 4 years old, and we have it inspected each year. Filters are all clean.

All windows are fairly new, and I re-caulked them last summer. We added new insulation to the attic 3 years ago as well. The roof is 4 years old and has Energy Star-rated shingles.

We have a 2-ton system for 980 square feet of living space, but it just isn’t doing the job. I’ve tried running a dehumidifier, but that made the house heat up even more.

I know that a variety of factors affect the cooling of a home, but can anyone offer other ideas?

Posts: 3678 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
How tall are the ceilings?

Has it ever worked properly with that 2 ton unit?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6220 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Maybe set your fan to a lower speed?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
How tall are the ceilings?

Has it ever worked properly with that 2 ton unit?

Ceilings are very low…7 feet, I think.

It worked well at first, but the last two years it seems to be struggling, so it might be the unit.

They previous system had the same issues with humidity.

Posts: 3678 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Maybe set your fan to a lower speed?

That’s definitely worth a try- hadn’t thought of that.

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
If this started with the new AC unit, the unit might be oversized and runs long enough to cool but not long enough to dehumidify. Have seen this several times over the years.

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thomjb:
If this started with the new AC unit, the unit might be oversized and runs long enough to cool but not long enough to dehumidify. Have seen this several times over the years.

I forgot to mention that it is a 2-stage unit and is set to continue to dehumidify if it reaches the set point. The problem there is that if I leave it on, it will run non-stop through the night to try to get the humidity down.

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I know there are a few HVAC experts here but in my building experience where the HVAC system can’t pull enough humidity out of the air it’s a result of the unit being too large and not running enough to pull the water out of the air.

If you can find a qualified firm to run a “Manual J” calculation on your home you may find that your home should have a smaller unit that will run longer and be able to pull the humidity out of the air. Interestingly enough adding insulation to your ceiling may have contributed to your situation.

Indoor humidity around 70% is not good. Should be closer to 50%.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Slower speed fan.

My house is 4000 sq ft in SW Florida and my house has too much humidity for a few months during the summer. I’ll turn the temp down a few degrees to get the AC running longer and I also have a backup dehumidifier that I use in the summer months.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maestro:
We have a 2-ton system for 980 square feet of living space, ...

I'm no HVAC expert, but that sounds like too big a unit for that space. We have a 2-1/2 ton unit for 1300 sqft + basement and that is slightly over-sized. (We were right on the cusp. Next smaller would've been slightly under-sized.)

It seems counter-intuitive, but too much tonnage is as bad as too little.

There are variables, of course, but the rule-of-thumb is 1 ton per 600 sqft.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I forgot to mention that it is a 2-stage unit and is set to continue to dehumidify if it reaches the set point. The problem there is that if I leave it on, it will run non-stop through the night to try to get the humidity down.
If you don't intervene, does the humidity get down to an acceptable level?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23317 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'd call my AC guy. Do we have an AC guy here?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
quote:

It gets lower, but the temp of the house gets down to 62-65.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Google fu says! El Linka thingy

High Humidity In House With Air Conditioning–What Gives?

We mentioned above that running your air conditioner is usually the primary way to combat high humidity in your home. However, if you feel humid, hot, and clammy even with your AC on full blast, there could be a problem with your unit.

Common causes of high humidity in a house with air conditioning include:

Oversized unit. Contrary to what you might think, an air conditioning system is less effective at controlling temperature and humidity if it is too large. This is largely due to the power of the compressor, which allows it to run for short periods of time—too short to remove all the humidity from the air.

Frozen coils. Your AC coils won’t be able to perform their job effectively if they’re covered in frost. As a result, your air conditioner won’t cool or dehumidify the air as well as it should.

Dirt and dust. Even if you regularly replace the air filter of your AC unit, dust, dirt and other debris will still collect in the system over time. If you don’t have the expertise nor time to perform the tasks on the manufacturer-recommended air conditioner maintenance checklist, enlist the help of a licensed professional.

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
We have a 2-ton system for 980 square feet of living space, ...

I'm no HVAC expert, but that sounds like too big a unit for that space. We have a 2-1/2 ton unit for 1300 sqft + basement and that is slightly over-sized. (We were right on the cusp. Next smaller would've been slightly under-sized.)

It seems counter-intuitive, but too much tonnage is as bad as too little.

There are variables, of course, but the rule-of-thumb is 1 ton per 600 sqft.

It's based on climate. In Florida given the exact same size houses you'd end up with a 1/2 ton or so larger unit then you would in Michigan..

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Are you basing the humidity on how it feels? Or do you have reading from a hygrometer? If you’re using a hygrometer, have you tried a second to verify?

I’m guessing you’d know the difference, 70% is significant. But figured I’d ask.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11451 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
quote:

It gets lower, but the temp of the house gets down to 62-65.

This tells me the unit is too large for your needs. I assume the evaporator is in the attic? Also, which gas are you using?

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

We have a 2-ton system for 980 square feet of living space

I think that is your problem right there, or at least part of it.

IMO your system is oversized to your square footage.

I’m no HVAC expert but you probably should be running a 1 or 1.5 ton system for that size home. Your AC doesn’t probably run long enough to remove the humidity from the air before it hits your target temp.

Anyone else want to weigh in here?

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
They went through a through evaluation and decided that a 2-ton was the best size. Fitting the last week, it is running 24/7, so it’s not going on and off. As someone mentioned, unit size also depends on geographical location.

I tried lowering the fan speed- we will see if that helps.

Thank you all!

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
It worked well at first, but the last two years it seems to be struggling, so it might be the unit.
This right here tells me something has changed. It may be in need of service, and by that I mean cleaning the evap coil and condensing coil(I get leaves piled up around my compressor over time), and a charge verification. If it's not short cycling, is cooling, but not dropping out moisture, I lean toward the evap side. Be it dirty or the blower speed too high. MAKE SURE THE FAN IS IN AUTO, leaving the fan on all the time can actually just put humidity still in the evaporator right back into the air. Regardless, call a respected local service tech.

This isn't really a remote troubleshooting exercise if it was working initially.

Also a 2 stage system is inherently more difficult to talk someone through without knowing what mode it's operating in. It's not an on off thing. I also don't think 2 tons is necessarily over-sized for that SQ footage in FL depending on a LOT of factors.

Are you sure about the 7' ceilings? The only reason I asked about ceiling height was because normal ceilings are 8', but I went up a half a ton on my house because it has 9' ceilings.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6220 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post