SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suing my contractor for not finishing his work...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suing my contractor for not finishing his work... Login/Join 
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted
Long story short, my contractor is not making good on his commitments to finish my backyard. The decking has not been stained, permits not signed off, artificial turf not done correctly...

Besides going to the licensing board, and small claims, what are some of my options? Any tips and hints? Thank you!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6024 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stay Classy!!
Picture of Crockett040
posted Hide Post
Has he completely cut off contact or still responding to you?

Posts: 398 | Location: Iowa | Registered: July 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Hopefully you did not pay him a lot upfront. If this is the case, perhaps jettison him and get someone else to finish the work. Guy sounds like an asshole.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16986 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
My folks did this and had a large deposit tied up over it. Before it goes to the judge, they had to try a court mediator. They got their deposit back and some damages in exchange for agreeing to not trash the contractor online. My folks are pretty Internet-illiterate anyway, so not much of a concession for them.

Posts: 3619 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Rent a black panel van with tinted windows. I'll assemble a group of the guys......

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38132 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Contact the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6889 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Rent a black panel van with tinted windows. I'll assemble a group of the guys......

Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39017 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
It depends on where you are in this. Have you paid him for the whole thing or partial? What percentage of the work has been done in your view? Do you want a refund or want to get them to finish it? Finally, how much is "at stake"?

Oftentimes the best course of action is to go after their bond (assuming they have one) and just continuing on with a new contractor from where you are.

Sorry, I hate saying "it depends" but . . .

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2046 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you’re feeling kind you might call, email, text, send a certified letter that he has X days to get in touch, start working again, finish the job etc. or you’ll contact CSLB and your attorney. If you’re not feeling it go ahead and call CSLB without warning. Hopefully you have a contract. If found the threat of CSLB is usually enough.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Send him a link to the Chicago United flight where an unruly passenger was subdued with duct tape. You've got a fresh roll and you know how to use it.

P229

Posts: 3921 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
PA has a progressive Democratic Governor but he is very consumer oriented. Current law requires licensing and has restrictions on buisness practices such as capping down payments at 30%. Check to see what CA law might already provide as remedy.

Posts: 1648 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
If your state permits the process go after his bond. Much quicker and less expensive than litigation.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1591 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry you’re going through this. It really sucks to have hopes, dreams and plans, see work started and then just stop..and then you have to start making phone calls and feel like you’re harassing somebody to do their job.
Don’t bother with the Better Business Bureau.. you can, but they aren’t going to be able to do anything, they just don’t have any teeth. Negative reviews for certain and a certified letter are the way to start, imho. Depending on how much you have into it certainly legal action may be required.
If you or the wife have enough patience, calling them once every week, not the same time, leaving messages, documenting the calls, and texting have helped me in the past. Sheer persistence and negotiating the value of the work that has already been done with a refund being given if you’ve overpaid. I still have no railing on my staircase outside, but I only paid half down on the whole project, so I just called it quits after a summer of phone calls..and he never darkened my doorstep again. Hopefully my fence is a project that will be continued next summer, but that’s a different group of folks that seem more responsive.
I wish you luck, and hope you don’t have to sue.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5449 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems a bit odd that a lein can be placed on customers property for failure to pay a company ,
But
Can customers get a lien on a company for failure to meet the demands of a contract?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55017 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to read this David. Can be maddening to say the least. I am having similar problems with the contractor on a house build I am overseeing for family. About 85% done. About 4 months overdue. Dragging his feet. It is really a shitty place to be.
I am sorry that people have to be this way for no good reason. Have no business in being in the business basically. Hope you can get to the finish line. If not that, some positive resolution.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19524 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’m in.

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3115 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Email sent from my Gmail account.

Posts: 12546 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomS:
quote:

I’m in.

#Me2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13983 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear, once you get this issue resolved don't forget to contact the Better Business bureau.

Posts: 1968 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
David-
Most states have a grievance procedure. I’d start with the building official where the permit was taken out. They can advise you best how to proceed. Most states have a Contractor Compensation Board for cases just like you’ve described. They also have the authority to revoke his license if he doesn’t do the right thing.

EDIT: Here’s a link to the relevant gov agency…

https://www.cslb.ca.gov/consumers/filing_a_complaint/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: smlsig,

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6422 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post