SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about professional sports: Equipment standards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about professional sports: Equipment standards Login/Join 
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted
So as I come across sporting video clips, I wonder:

Should competitors in some sports be required to use the same equipment?

In disc golf, for instance, shouldn't all the players be forced to use the same disc make/model? Or are they already?

Shouldn't baseball players all be forced to use the same bat type/make/model? They're already required to run the same distance, and I would imagine that the pitch changes and player's physical changes would more than make up for same-ness in bat.

We require athletes to use the same ski jump, the same distance for running, the same basket height, etc. Why are such extreme differences allowed for other game-changing equipment? Golf clubs, etc?

Or is my lack of sports knowledge showing? Do they already require these things? Does requiring these things make the game better or worse?

Only curious.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
So as I come across sporting video clips, I wonder:

Should competitors in some sports be required to use the same equipment?

In disc golf, for instance, shouldn't all the players be forced to use the same disc make/model? Or are they already?

Shouldn't baseball players all be forced to use the same bat type/make/model? They're already required to run the same distance, and I would imagine that the pitch changes and player's physical changes would more than make up for same-ness in bat.

We require athletes to use the same ski jump, the same distance for running, the same basket height, etc. Why are such extreme differences allowed for other game-changing equipment? Golf clubs, etc?

Or is my lack of sports knowledge showing? Do they already require these things? Does requiring these things make the game better or worse?

Only curious.

In short, no. Every body is different so everyone is free to play whatever equipment they prefer, within reason. For instance, all runners don't wear the same shoes. All skiers don't use the same skis.

But equipment is held to standards. Baseball bats must be in a certain range of sizes and weights. The USGA routinely outlaws certain golf clubs. Etc...

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Footballs have to have the same pressure.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Now that I think of it, how about countering the different types of bats a player can use with different types of balls? That might make baseball interesting.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:

Isn't the mere fact that this is in a thread about "professional" sports the more disturbing item?
Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
The variable to success is not equipment.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Personal equipment no. Should every hockey player have to play with the same length stick. I once cut a stick one inch longer to try something and I could tell as soon as I stepped on the ice. How about blade curve?

How about gloves. Different styles and feel for different players.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
To see examples of this idea gone too far, to the detriment of the sport, see car racing.

In any case, it's all pretty subjective and each sport and activity varies quite a bit. Should every golfer use the same putter, every bowler use the same size and weight ball, every outdoor game be played with the same wind conditions, all chess games be played with the same pieces, and so on? You (the universal) have to draw the line somewhere, and, naturally, they've been drawn all over the place and most sports/activities are fine for it...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Yeah, everywhere but Massachusetts. Big Grin

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Having the track be the same length or the golf course be the same course is an obvious matter of fairness.

But equipment should not be standardized. In golf, for example, the clubs that a golfer 5'7" and the clubs that a 6'4" player would use would be vastly different. But there are broader restrictions on clubs. For example, no one can use a putter that you anchor against your body. The grooves on irons must be of certain configurations. Balls are tested so that they do not exceed a certain speed off the clubface of a standardized driver hit by a golf club swinging machine at a certain speed. This prevents golf from devolving into an equipment race, and prevents older courses from becoming obsolete by being too short.

Aside from personal physical differences, golfers may alter their equipment to try to tailor it to a particular course. There is a story that at a particular course, that Hogan omitted the 7 iron from his bag because he knew he would never need it, and substituted an additional wedge. That may be an extreme example, but players often prefer one mix of clubs over another based on playing conditions or a particular layout. Different players like different balls - some prefer balls that spin more for any of a number of reasons, and others prefer balls that spin less. There is an element of tactics there that we shouldn't take away.

Most sports are like that. Baseball bats can vary within certain limits. But they can't, in pros, be made of metal. Skaters like their skates set up a certain way.

So, I don't think rigid uniformity is desirable, except for things like the length of 100 meter dash tracks. For other pieces of equipment, variation, within certain parameters, is fine.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Even Stevie Wonder saw that coming.

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In soccer it's pretty easy. There's one ball at a time and everyone has to use it.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Isn't the mere fact that this is in a thread about "professional" sports the more disturbing item?
Razz

Why? It's entertainment. (same as this forum) We have threads about people who pretend to be other people for a living, or people who sing for a living. All for others to watch and listen to. So why should watching someone play a game be any different.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to other sports but I can speak to hockey. There are several standardized items in hockey. Everyone skates on the same ice, use the same puck, shoot at the same size net. Goaltender equipment is strictly regulated (ie cannot exceed specific size measurements for the leg pads, blocker & catcher) and measured before every game.

Player personal equipment has to meet specific standards, or must fall within certain specifications. For instance stick blades are regulated to curve, width, etc. However blade rocker, round or square tip, or curve (as long as it is within spec) is up to the player. This is all personal preference and varies as much as no two players are exactly alike.

Some equipment is governed by sponsorship. If you're offered a sponsorship deal with Easton, you wear their equipment. Most likely they'll pattern their equipment to your preference as best as they can and release it as a line with your name on it, but you're wearing their gear. You don't pay for it either.

Players and manufacturers are always looking for an edge. They are free to develop new technologies as long as they fit within the rules. If the technology does not fit in the rules, but may benefit players in performance or safety, the league has to make a determination on whether to modify the regulations to allow the technology into play.

I understand that baseball bats are similar. They have a standard range of length, diameter (barrel & handle) material, weight, etc. Other than that it is up to the individual player within those constraints to find a combination that works best.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I always found it interesting that a single manufacturer was chosen as the official supplier for the league balls used in professional baseball, basketball, football, tennis, and many others, but not golf. Golfers can choose any make of ball as long as it conforms to the specs. Same with clubs.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there really needs to be more pool noodles

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post