SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fired up the new Solo Stove first use- video review
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fired up the new Solo Stove first use- video review Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Bought this for the wife for Christmas, she wanted another fire pit, and the solostove gets pretty good reviews.

https://www.solostove.com/solo-stove-bonfire/

These are made from stainless steel so it should last quite a long time, light, well made unit easy to move around. The design is such that it directs the smoke straight up away from those around it.

Cool night in the high 50's, some wind as the front was pushing through, decided to break in the unit. Set up the unit on it's stand in the driveway, dropped in a fire starter and 4 small white birch logs bought at Lowes.

Burned it all through the first half of the Game, with 4 cut pieces in the stove it gets super hot, lots of flame, not once during the operation did anyone get smoked out even with some pretty good wind gusts, moving the smoke for just a bit then back straight up

We let the flame die down quite a bit, lots of hot embers at the bottom, at that point added wood during the use, no more than two pieces and the flame fired right back up, zero stirring, no blowing on the embers, the built in air path flow just fires it right back up, every single time.

Video is in slow motion as I was playing with the iPhone camera, so if you turn the sound up its going to sound like some track from a bad horror movie.

Highly recommend this, they have a smaller and larger unit, it's light weight, easy to clean, cools down fast, we let it sit outside, moved into the garage and at the end of the game it was ice cold with zero hot embers, I could pick it up with my hands and carry into the garage.

Easily transportable if you camp, nice stuff.

Posts: 23516 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
At first glance I thought you had it burning inside the garage… Eek
A friend has one of those and loves it! Might have to pick one up myself

Posts: 3121 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've heard good things about them . A little pricey for me but if I was in the market for a pit I'd sure take a hard look . A lot more durable than those cheap ass Chimenea's that crack after a year or so .

Posts: 4064 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is my third "winter" with mine and I love it. It's great being able to sit by a real wood fire for a bit and not smell like it for a day after.

Posts: 996 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watching the fire is mesmerizing.

War Eagle!

Posts: 129 | Location: Alabama | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a bonfire and a Yukon. Love those things

Posts: 1182 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
This is my second season with mine. My wife loves it. It's nice not to smell like smoke when you go inside. We have a neighbor with a fire pit that after we visit we have to take our clothes off in the garage and jump in the shower to get the smoke smell off.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
I have the Bonfire unit and am a bit disappointed with it. It really doesn't throw off much heat. You have to stand almost right on top of it to stay warm.

With my old portable fire pit, I could sit out in 20 degree weather in just shorts and a tee shirt, but I need to wear a hooded sweatshirt with the Solo stove.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5293 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
I have the Bonfire unit and am a bit disappointed with it. It really doesn't throw off much heat. You have to stand almost right on top of it to stay warm.

With my old portable fire pit, I could sit out in 20 degree weather in just shorts and a tee shirt, but I need to wear a hooded sweatshirt with the Solo stove.

That is the only complaint I've seen voiced about these. They send all the heat straight up so they aren't good at keeping you warm.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I too have the Bonfire and love it ... ! I use it on my wood deck (Ipe) and have it sitting on three clay pot feet to keep it off the deck.

Clay Pot Feet

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:

They are making a heat deflector this year.

I have the Yukon, and it'll make you sweat. We love it, burns so efficiently and smokeless. They really are worth the hype.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
My wife got me a Solo for Father's Day. Did not get to use it until November, but I immediately fell in love with it. I love sitting by the fire and not smelling like an ash tray.

I do agree, they do not give off much heat. But since I live in Florida, this is a bonus. For me, the flame is more about ambiance than actual heat.

Posts: 2313 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I've had one for years. Best firepit I ever had. First time I ever bought something from a Facebook ad and it was actually everything the ad said.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12445 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently got a Breeo X19 fire pit in stainless steel with the grilling rack accesory. A bit pricey, but made in USA. Really nice setup; worked great withy my kabobs and coffee pot!
Burns very hot, no smoke and puts out a good amount of heat around it.

Posts: 310 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This post just cost me $100! I bought a Solo Stove and its pot / carrier. Looking forward to trying it out. On sale now, too!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16108 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
This post just cost me $100! I bought a Solo Stove and its pot / carrier. Looking forward to trying it out. On sale now, too!

Where did you find the solo stove for $100 ?

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
We have a Bonfire and love it. It may not throw off as much heat as the fire pit we had built in TX, but it also isn't belching smoke and embers aren't drifting around.

Best part for us is when fire season is done, pack it up and reclaim all that space for spring and summer.

Were tempted to move up to the Yukon, but for normally just 2-4 of us figured we'd be going through a mountain of wood. Bonfire is good size.

Two thumbs up!

quote:

They make a "mini" for s'mores and such ranging from $65-$105

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12431 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
quote:

https://www.solostove.com/solo-stove-lite/

Under Camp Stoves, three options from $65 to $105

Posts: 23516 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
quote:

https://www.solostove.com/solo-stove-lite/

Under Camp Stoves, three options from $65 to $105

I did not know they made one that small ... and this is how it all started !

posted Hide Post
I just got the Solo stove bonfire. Bought some Mystical fire packets off Amazon that you throw in the fire that makes the fire change color, the kids loved it.

Posts: 465 | Location: Space City | Registered: October 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post