SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Elon Musk's latest software engineer at SpaceX is a 14 y/o prodigy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elon Musk's latest software engineer at SpaceX is a 14 y/o prodigy Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
- Spoke full sentences age two
- Completed complex math equations at six
- Doc said he "maxed out" his IQ
- Admitted his school years were a struggle as his peers failed to keep up
- Landed the SpaceX job at 14 before his upcoming graduation from Santa Clara University

What a freak of nature. Big Grin

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...-twitter_dailymailus

Q

Posts: 26475 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
'I can read through a textbook one time and have a deep understanding,' he claimed.

That's great, kid. Have you encountered any books on humility?

I'm not disputing his intellect, but the little bastard seems really full of himself. There are things in this world that only life can teach you. He's been here about 10 minutes, so...

Posts: 107722 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
He is still a child. Hopefully, he will learn that a high IQ alone isn't enough to be successful/happy. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21853 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
His parents treat him like a god. He's being interviewed by people who tell him he is different than everyone else.

Gee, I wonder what he thinks of himself.

He'll probably make tons of money, but if for some reason he doesn't, he won't get laid until he's 30.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
^ He does seem to think his shit doesn't stink, and there's no one around to tell him otherwise.

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm falling into Para's camp. He's a really smart fuck stick, but still a fuck stick. He's also in an industry that if full of really smart people with a ton more experience. Nobody is going to give a shit about his age but what he can produce. That's a big ? at this point.

Posts: 7567 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
IQ / Intelligence will only get you so far. HARD work ethic will get you farther. Many young geniuses burn out by their twenties so we'll see where things stand in 7-8 years time.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Hopefully, he will learn that a high IQ alone isn't enough to be successful/happy. . .

He'll learn it. One way or another, he'll learn it. It just remains to be seen how bad he gets burned in the process.

Posts: 7274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
An impressive young mind! I hope he has a fulfilling and successful life.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38722 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just wait until puberty kicks in. All those hormones and a stiff dick. What he'll need then, he won't find on any library shelf. Razz

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Child prodigies- not a terrific track record for extending their talents and intelligence into adulthood. This one has been spoiled by his parents, gotten into arguments with teachers as a very young child from sheer arrogance, getting his way for 14 years. He's burning bright now, but if he doesn't mature in a normal way, all of this could fade fast.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Raw brain power is not all there is to intellect. There is something to be gained from the experience gained from integrating sentiment and logic. We all know "brainiacs" who have a hard time tying their shoes, much less interacting gracefully with "normal" people. Like it or not, we live in a society with people of varying capabilities and perspectives, treating this reality as unimportant reflect poorly on oneself, both from a practical and moral perspective. Not to mention that an exaggerated idea of one's own self-importance negates much of whatever advantage one might have over one's associates.

Good for this kid. I hope he uses his brains to make something of his life that improves the lives of all of humanity, and not just his own welfare (and those who seek to exploit him).

quote:
All those hormones and a stiff dick. What he'll need then, he won't find on any library shelf.
Don't forget your Confucius: "Man who go to bed with sex on mind, soon finds solution in hand.

Posts: 6510 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Prima donna (or is it primo donno?)

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30729 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Kid needs a role model.

"If I asked you about art, you’d probably give me the skinny on about every art book ever written.
Michelangelo. You know a lot about him. Life’s work. Political aspirations. Him and the Pope. Sexual orientation. The whole works, right?
But I bet you can’t tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel.
You’ve never actually stood there and looked up at that beautiful ceiling.
Seen that.
If I ask you about women, you’d probably give me a syllabus of your personal favorites.
You may have even been laid a few times.
But you can’t tell me what it feels like to wake up next to a woman and feel truly happy.
You’re a tough kid.
If I ask you about war, you’d probably throw Shakespeare at me, right?
“Once more into the breach, dear friends.”
But you’ve never been near one. You’ve never held your best friend’s head in your lap and watch him gasp his last breath, looking to you for help.
If I ask you about love, you’d probably quote me a sonnet.
But you’ve never looked at a woman and been totally vulnerable.
Known someone who can level you with her eyes.
Feeling like God put an angel on earth just for you.
Who could rescue you from the depths of Hell. And you wouldn’t know what it’s like to be her angel.
To have that love for her be there forever. Through anything. Through cancer.
And you wouldn’t know about sleeping, sitting up in a hospital room for two months, holding her hand because the doctors could see in your eyes that the terms visiting hours don’t apply to you.
You don’t know about real loss. Because that only occurs when you love something more than you love yourself.
I doubt you’ve ever dared to love anybody that much.
I look at you, I don’t see an intelligent, confident man.
I see a cocky, scared-shitless kid.
But you’re a genius, Will. No one denies that. No one could possibly understand the depths of you."

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30431 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Yah, but Matt Damon is a dick.
This kid is just a kid. Just needs a little fine tuning.
Puppies are puppies, no matter how smart the breed is.

Posts: 7374 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A) It might be a very good thing - I doubt he’s the only genius at SpaceX.

B) Ideally, prodigies should grow up around one another, so they can be socialized.

Posts: 5747 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll withhold judgment until the kid makes a mistake. Working on software development for Elon Musk's starlink satellites has to be an unforgiving environment. So, when a mistake happens, how does the little genius respond to failure? Does he become humble and work harder, or does he crash and burn out? That is the kind of thing that he may not be prepared for at such a young age.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HKAngusKL,

Posts: 716 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
My spouse had a family friend who was similar. Brilliant writer of 1970s-1980s code. Failing out of high school, a teacher cursing a computer prompted him to intercede and rewrite some of the code on the spot. Fixed. The story is that teacher had a Eureka! moment, and when his talent was recognized, he at age 17 started working at NASA. A college degree rammed down his protesting body made him a Naval Reserve officer, and put him on path to be a shuttle crewman.

Before his mission training began his two daughters found him dead on the floor. Massive heart attack while making his lunch.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post