SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Killed another chronograph
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Killed another chronograph Login/Join 
posted
Hell yes, I did it! We were trying to get some numbers on some of the .50AE loads that my Dad did for me and were having trouble getting the old Chrony brand to register. Turns out we were too close to it, as the Desert Eagle throws out quite a fireball from the muzzle. So, I end up 40 feet back and my Dad says that we need to be more level with the chrono so the numbers are more accurate, etc.

So I am squatting down trying to put a round not too high, not too low over the chrono and I put a 300 grain hollow point right though the damn thing.

So, I need recommendations on a new chronograph. I am not really worried about getting the cheapest, just want one that is easy to use and hard to shoot. TIA!

Posts: 869 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
LabRadar.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Ok, I’ll be that guy....pics or it didn’t happen. Smile
That sucks, man. You know that’s been one of my main reasons for NOT getting a chronograph. I’m just positive I’ll put a round through it on the first range trip.

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

I bookmarked this article evaluating Labradar's Doppler Radar Chrono thinking the price would drop in a year or so.

Darn thing is still just below/above $600

www.ShootingSoftware.com/Doppler.htm

I'm not reposting the article here, too many pics of the math involved comparing various chronos…

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
LabRadar.

Yup.

Bite the bullet - so to speak - and get it. We bought one for the club and it's about the most-used club asset after the barbeque.

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bluecobra:
Hell yes, I did it! We were trying to get some numbers on some of the .50AE loads that my Dad did for me and were having trouble getting the old Chrony brand to register. Turns out we were too close to it, as the Desert Eagle throws out quite a fireball from the muzzle. So, I end up 40 feet back and my Dad says that we need to be more level with the chrono so the numbers are more accurate, etc.

So I am squatting down trying to put a round not too high, not too low over the chrono and I put a 300 grain hollow point right though the damn thing.

So, I need recommendations on a new chronograph. I am not really worried about getting the cheapest, just want one that is easy to use and hard to shoot. TIA!

At least you didn't put an arrow through it like my archery pal did. THAT was mega-embarrassing, to say the least, especially in front of a bunch of fifty youngsters....

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Condolences

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've never hit the chronograph itself, but I have put a significant distortion dent in the posts that support the sun screens a couple of times. I could never have hit that post if I was aiming at it. Smile I just used my vise to straighten it out.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Pics MeatHead

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
LabRadar

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5402 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
While LabRadar may be awesome, I could not justify spending that kind of coin for one.
The Magnetospeed I got on sale seems to work just fine.
Yes it changes POI when attached to a rifle. I just brought more ammo.

If you fix the Chrony, put a wrap of electrical tape on the rods closest to the shooter at 1 - 1.5” above the unit. Having a fixed safe point to aim beats guessing. Because of that I never blasted mine. Wink

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have an Oehler 35. Always works.

My friend has a labradar and I'm not impressed. Especially considering the price. His often misses shots, especially if running a can. If used on a cowded range with a roof...false readings as others shoot.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

I bookmarked this article evaluating Labradar's Doppler Radar Chrono thinking the price would drop in a year or so.

Darn thing is still just below/above $600

Think in terms of replacement cost, and time spent. No one ever seems to stock up on rods and diffusers ahead of time. Think, too, in terms of setting it up in front of a firing line at a non-private range, and therefore have any number of idiots you don't know who might wind up putting a bullet into some part of the chronograph. In the LabRadar's case, you're shooting away from it rather than at it - and muzzle blast be damned.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot more handguns than rifles so it looks like the Labradar for me. My Dad will get a kick out if it as well. Between the 2 of us we have killed 3 Chrony model units over the past 10-15 years.

Putting tape on the little rods as a reference works as well, until one or more of them gets shot. The Desert Eagle in .50AE throws out one hell of a muzzle blast and was interfereing with the optical sensors, so that won't be a problem with the Labradar unit.

Thanks for the input and helping me spend my money!

Posts: 869 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post