SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Travel Questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel Questions Login/Join 
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted
So my wife and I are headed from Upstate SC to Maine (near Bangor) this summer. I haven't flown since before 9/11.

We have an option from 3 flights - American, Delta, or United. Which would you recommend?

We can lay-over in LaGuardia, Philadelphia, or Newark. How much time should we allow for a layover?

Which days is it better to fly? We're planning on staying around 4 days.

Anything else I should know?

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6063 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
We fly commercial a lot as a family. I’d rate our experience of those three airlines in this order:
1)Delta
2)United
3)American
We’ve had lousy experiences on American in particular over the past couple years, so much so that we avoid them unless there is no other option. Otherwise the ranking above is just our opinion based on overall customer service and ease of travel as well as quality and cleanliness of aircraft. In fact we just flew round trip LA to Boston this past weekend on Delta. Plane and flights were great. First time flying since the mask thing ended a couple weeks ago- my kids loved it!

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
United is a hot mess, and has been for quite a while. American used to be quite good, but is on the way down. Delta was not good, but is on the way up.

I’d avoid LaGuardia like the plague. I’ve never flown through the other two.

Tuesday-Thursday are usually the fewest travelers during the week, so airports and airlines are not so crowded.

The minimum time for a layover most airlines will book is 45 minutes, I’d rather go with an hour minimum, it gives you time to grab some food or not have to hustle through the airport.

Posts: 1505 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Also, which rental car service would you recommend?

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6063 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Delta

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19238 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
Also, which rental car service would you recommend?

I would price shop. I usually use Budget/Avis and have never had a problem(knock on wood). If you use them sign up for their fastpass or something like that can not remember the exact name it’s free and can save you time when it’s crowded.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16410 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
As far as layovers I like about an hour. I would avoid anything under 45 minutes. if there is a problem with the first fight you don’t have much extra time also much under that and bags can became a problem is checked.

I also avoid anything over two hours when I can. That doesn’t always work.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16410 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
I’d layover in Philly and pick Delta over the other two. I generally use National as that was who we used at my last company so I stuck with them. I never have any issues but skip the lines with emerald/executive club? TSA lines can sometimes be long depending on many variables so allow some time. We just got back from Atlanta last night and had generally smooth travels there and back. The AVIS rental line was atrocious…not sure if that’s typical.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help, all. Do you have to go through TSA again during a layover, if you don't leave the terminal?

Phone's ringing, Dude.

No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for all the help, all. Do you have to go through TSA again during a layover, if you don't leave the terminal?

No, TSA is only the first time you enter the departure area of the airport. At your layover you won't have to go back through as long as you don't exit the "sterile area". If you change terminals by going outside (some airports require this) then you'll get stuck doing TSA again.

Delta in Philly shouldn't require changing terminals, at least as of the last time I went through there 9 months ago.

I like about an hour connection time to help absorb any schedule problems.

Try to have at least one alternate flight later than your scheduled one. If you are on the last possible flight of the day and something goes bad, you will be delayed until the next day.

Connect in Philly, or 2nd choice is Newark. Avoid La Guardia!

As far as which days are best for flying, all the old rules are out the window. Look for best pricing and go with that. Don't wait to book once you find something. Prices are not coming down.

For a car try Priceline. One trick is to put in a very lowball bid, which will be rejected. Then just wait. They may offer you a much better deal a week or two before your departure date. This used to work pretty well if you can make a firm reservation elsewhere with no cancellation penalty. If Priceline doesn't offer you a cheap deal you just keep the other reservation. But if they do offer a great deal you cancel the firm reservation at no cost.

Posts: 9482 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Delta if you can swing it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30431 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
1. I have found Expedia, the travel service app, to find the lowest prices. I was very surprised, as I normally use the airline sites. Expedia has found combinations of airlines that work hundreds of dollars lower. They offer car rental packages at discounted rates also. Again, I am surprised by their savings.
2. You said upstate SC, but not your departure city. If Charlotte, NC, you are well-served by American.
3. Never ever fly through any New York City for a layover / connection.
4. TSA is fairly routine again. No masks required for a recent trip to Houston. Many people wore masks as they believed masks help protect themselves. The process requires for you to scan your own ticket on the TSA scanner, hand your DL to the agent, then move on. Everything goes into your carry on. Carry on luggage is restricted, and you are not likely to get space overhead. A single carry on that fits under seat is better.
5. Mid-week travel is ideal. Travel Wednesday, leave Sunday? Travel Tuesday for lowest prices. Stay over Saturday still seems to give better prices.
6. Layover time is not something you can control, but you can choose from the options presented. Most are a minimum of 45 minutes. Depending on your speed of ambulation, or if you need a wheelchair, you must choose. Departing for Maine in Philly may be in the outermost terminal, which 20 years ago was a bus ride away from the main terminal.
7. Food is expensive.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5062 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Out of the 3 layovers you mentioned, I personally like PHL the best.

I always use AVIS/Budget for cars for work, usually the better conditions when compared to Enterprise and better availability over Hertz.

If you leave the secure area, you will need to go through TSA again, but that's really not recommended (I've only done that when I had an unavoidable 8 hour layover).

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
So my wife and I are headed from Upstate SC to Maine (near Bangor) this summer. I haven't flown since before 9/11.

We have an option from 3 flights - American, Delta, or United. Which would you recommend?

We can lay-over in LaGuardia, Philadelphia, or Newark. How much time should we allow for a layover?

Which days is it better to fly? We're planning on staying around 4 days.

Anything else I should know?

I used to fly 10 or 15 times a year, now I only fly about 4 to 6 times.

1. Delta
2. American
3. Everybody else
4. United

If it were me, I'd lay over in philadelphia and allow at least an hour to make my next connection. In some airports it can take 30 to 40 minutes getting from one gate to another depending on where they are.

TSA is one time only unless you exit the security area for one reason or another.

I used to use Hertz but quit them around 20 years ago and now go exclusively with Budget.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
I fly just about every week some where domestic or international for work. I would recommend the following:

All three airlines will get you there just fine.

American is running low fares lately and hard to beat running up and down the east coast, if you choose American then try to connect through Charlotte, not PHL. PHL I avoid always. If you are flying out of GSP then you can go through Charlotte.

United through Newark has been trouble free since they finished up work on their runways last year.

LaGuardia is out, right out for me. Takes more time to taxi to your gate than the flight time to get there.

If traveling in summer then try to fly in the morning before thunderstorms on the east coast wreck flight schedules in the afternoon.

Fridays and Mondays are biggest travel days

If you are leaving from GSP then all three airlines do pretty well at this airport. I will be in and out of GSP next week on my way up to MHT.

Use Expeida to find the flight you want, go to the airline website to book it. First sign up as a frequent flyer with the airline and make sure your number is on the booking. Download the airline app to your phone and use it. If your flights get messed up then having booked direct with the airline and having the airline app will help you tremendously.

While in the airports stay out of long lines for food and coffee, these lines are COVID traps. Let me have done this for you.

Most important of all, go to the Eagles Nest restaurant in Brewer across the river from Bangor. Get the lobster roll, thank me later!

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with a lot of what has already been said, but if you are flying from Charlotte there are a number of direct flights to Portland (PWM) and a few to Bangor (BGR) on American. It's always nice to fly without a connection.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what is reported, about 30 Percent of flights are delayed. Direct flights probably best. Overbooking and lack of pilots

Posts: 1408 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Philly is going to be your best bet for a connection. Connecting in the NY area, particularly in afternoons on smaller planes is a crap shoot at best.

I try to do an hour minimum between flights, just in case there is a little delay somewhere or I have to change terminals.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6491 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
We book by price when we travel for personal reasons. We do watch for layover - I like to have an hour but will sometimes go with 45 minutes.

I hate taking chances with seat assignments so we've generally paid the extra to get reserved seats.

Consider applying for the airline's credit card. First year's fee is normally waived and you get priority boarding.

Join the frequent flyer program. You might get lucky and get TSA pre check.

Consider booking a window and isle seat. Who cares if someone is in the middle seat. You'll both be more comfortable.

If you're a member of AAA see what they will charge to make the arrangements. Sometimes the travel agent's fee is modest and well worth it when you're trying to pick seats, allow reasonable layover time, etc. Some travel agents can reserve the exit rows. If that's something you're interested in, at least ask.

If you have any reasonable excuse, ask the gate agent if you can pre board. In my experience the overhead bins fill up fast - of course this is only an issue if you're taking a carryon. Priority boarding or pre boarding come into play in making sure you get overhead space.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will never fly United again if possible. During the beginning of covid they continued to change our non stop flight to CA. Eventually made it a layover with a several hour delay. This made a beach of contract and I wanted a refund. I had to file a complaint with the FTA and after a bunch of hoop was finally given my money back

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post