SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If all of the Wal Marts closed and locked their doors after December 27th
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If all of the Wal Marts closed and locked their doors after December 27th Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
What would become of all the chinese made junk? Big Grin
You mean that same stuff that everybody else sells ?

Posts: 4069 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
In my small town, Walmart is the largest employer I can think of. We do have other grocery stores, however there are quite a few things you can only get at Walmart here. Need a mixer for the kitchen, griddle, an iPad or TV.

It would have a significant impact on our small town.

The bigger picture ripple effect for the nation as a whole would not be good.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4030 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wal Mart is the shopping mecca and cultural gathering spot for all the weird, crazy dregs of society in every town, where would they shop? And think about how convenient it is for the police to have half of the crime in town contained inside the interior and parking lot of one store.
Yes, every community would suffer without the freakshow that comes with your local Wal Mart.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3546 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about the pics of the People of Walmart? I would find alternatives for shopping.

Posts: 17277 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
If all the Walmarts closed, where would the thieves go to do their shopping?

I don’t think the mom and pop stores could absorb the losses as long as Walmart has.

Posts: 3244 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
No Walmart in my town. I have to drive 35miles one-way to get to one.

So would I, or most of the people in my town, miss them? Highly doubtful!

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2094 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^Replying to Muddflap
Not so sure about that. Most of the convenience stores around here have armed owners, unlike Walmart. We also have DAs that will prosecute. They got four at Walmart last week, locked them up and the mugshots were on the news. It is a start.

Posts: 17277 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
If all the Walmarts closed, where would the thieves go to do their shopping?

Your and my front door.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
A big lesson of Walmart, and later Amazon, is that economies of scale count. Your "thousands of business opening back up" wouldn't have those, and will get crushed by the next operator who can get to the size where they have them.

The most immediate effect would be more business going through Amazon. Longer term, the players in the market would have to see if the further shift to online sales that a Walmart closure caused wasn't permanent, and left room for a large scale B&M low cost player. Of course, the prime candidate to do that would be Amazon itself. But there are plenty of other who could step up (thinking Target specifically.)

Retail isn't going back to the 1960's

quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
There would be thousands of business opening back up such as Pharmacies, sporting goods hardware clothing shops, etc. The vacuum would be huge and filled rather quickly. My Walmart is actually filled with lots of local residents that are pleasant vs many I have been into across the country, that employ some people that clearly hate their job.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Exactly. Most of Walmart's success is thanks to logistics efficiency and economy of scale, which a mom-and-pop store or even a local chain can't come close to matching.

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Think about ALL the businesses that closed once Walmart came to town. There would be similar businesses returning, but with higher prices, since they can purchase at the level Walmart does.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8393 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Did I miss a news story? Why was December 27th chosen as close date? What’s the point?

Posts: 13301 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Did I miss a news story? Why was December 27th chosen as close date? What’s the point?

It's just one of bendable's thought experiments.

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Earlier he suggested december 32nd.

posted Hide Post
In retail tons of people spend their Xmas money on the 26th and even more people return Xmas presents on the 29th through Jan 6th.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54695 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Folks wouldn't know where to go to trample people after Thanksgiving.

Posts: 21122 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they closed China would go bankrupt. Also the local police would lay off half their officers as Wal Mart generates most of their calls for service.

Posts: 232 | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
As others have hinted, I think the myriad _________Dollar__________Stores would fill in the gap right quick.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

What would happen ?

In my area, they would be accused of racism, for disparate impact on minorities, since that is all that work there.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
In my small town, Walmart is the largest employer I can think of. We do have other grocery stores, however there are quite a few things you can only get at Walmart here. Need a mixer for the kitchen, griddle, an iPad or TV.

It would have a significant impact on our small town.

The bigger picture ripple effect for the nation as a whole would not be good.

A ripple affect for the whole nation ? Serious Clark ? Seems before Wallyworld we had Sears, Montgomery Ward, Department Stores, etc. So instead of getting everything from Wallysmart, you'd get your duct tape and ammunition from Montgomery Ward, your appliances, vacuum cleaners, and bed sheets from Sears, and your clothes from Department Stores. Everything that is has been before and everything that has been will be again. You know the thing...

I like Walmart myself, and lots of people don't, I understand and respect that preference. But this is not Iran, this is not Russia. This is the United States of America, We put a man on the moon in 1969. America is not Walmart. Walmart is an American story but is not America. In spite of the sorry state of things wrought by the worst parts of our society egged on by disgusting evil democrats, the highway is still crowded and crazy driving to work every day. That is America.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8702 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post