SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon workers get safety belts to stop robots from killing them
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon workers get safety belts to stop robots from killing them Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
That's mighty nice of the company Roll Eyes

Amazon workers are now wearing safety belts to prevent the robots that prowl the tech giant's cavernous warehouses from killing them.

The Robotic Tech Vest, which was rolled out over the course of the last year to over 25 locations, appears to be an electric utility belt attached to a pair of suspenders, reports TechCrunch, but it has built-in sensors that alert robots of a human's presence.

The belts are designed to work in coordinated fashion with the robots' obstacle detection systems, according to TechCrunch.

According to Amazon, the company's robots, which number over 100,000, are designed to assist humans with the transportation of packages and the movement of large pallets of inventory, among other tasks. Although there are widespread fears that robots will displace human workers, Amazon has added more than 300,000 full-time jobs globally since robots were introduced to its warehouses in 2012.

"Robots increase efficiency and safety at fulfillment centers. They make it possible to store 40 percent more inventory, which in turn makes it easier to fulfill Amazon Prime and other orders on time since it’s less likely an item will run out," the company said in a blog post. The company said the new high-tech belt are an improvement upon several existing safety systems.

“In the past, associates would mark out the grid of cells where they would be working in order to enable the robotic traffic planner to smartly route around that region. What the vest allows the robots to do is detect the human from farther away and smartly update its travel plan to steer clear without the need for the associate to explicitly mark out those zones," Amazon Robotics VP Brad Porter told TechCrunch.

In December, two dozen Amazon factory workers were hospitalized after being sprayed with bear repellant in an incident involving a robot.

Fox News reached out to Amazon for comment on this high-tech belt.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/a...ts-from-killing-them

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
"...sprayed with bear repellant in an incident involving a robot..." Now I am confused...

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
...two dozen Amazon factory workers were hospitalized after being sprayed with bear repellant in an incident involving a robot.

I’ve worked in automotive factories all over the world, many very highly robotized. None of them had any bears. What the hell.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
They are arming the robots with less than lethal weapons today. Wait til next week when the bear spray is replaced with duel uzis.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20882 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
They are arming the robots with less than lethal weapons today. Wait til next week when the bear spray is replaced with duel uzis.

Better yet, what if the robots armed themselves rather than being armed by humans?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12468 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post

Safety belts? Next they’ll have to be provided with Phase Plasma rifles in the 40 watt range

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15653 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Ummmmmm...Skynet is becoming self-aware as Arnold predicted. And we all thought it was just BS fiction!!! This week bear spray; next week plasma rifles... Eek

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
"...sprayed with bear repellant in an incident involving a robot..." Now I am confused...

I'm guessing a collision involving a robot, a box/pallet of bear repellant and some humans in the vicinity.

Or shenanigans.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16192 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

Safety belts? Next they’ll have to be provided with Phase Plasma rifles in the 40 watt range

Fulfilling the shit out of you...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16124 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
>The Three Laws, quoted as being from the "Handbook of Robotics, 56th Edition, 2058 A.D.", are:

>First Law – A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
>Second Law – A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
>Third Law – A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

Posts: 888 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
What the vest allows the robots to do is detect the human from farther away

That's the last thing I want to be wearing during the robot uprising.

Posts: 7395 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
"Are you wearing your "First Rule" vest?"

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phydough:
>First Law – A robot may not … through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

Well I remember first reading Isaac Asimov’s Robot series as a kid and was quite impressed with the three laws. Much later, though, I ran across a story pointing out that the highlighted portion of the first law would inevitably result in robots’ taking over and controlling virtually all human activities. There are countless activities that we accept and often enjoy that would need to be banned in order to prevent human beings coming to harm.

Possessing weapons and engaging in dangerous activities such as riding motorcycles and bicycles would be at the top of the prohibited list along with dietary restrictions. The British “fry-up” breakfast currently being discussed in another thread would probably induce the equivalent of a stroke in robots’ positronic brains. In fact, as life is a fatal disease itself, the ultimate way to avoid allowing humans to come to harm would be to eliminate humans entirely by preventing reproduction.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47429 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23642 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
The vest is used to ID the Human instead of waiting for the DNA results to come back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4846 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
quote:

I'm guessing a collision involving a robot, a box/pallet of bear repellant and some humans in the vicinity.

Or shenanigans.

When I was much younger, I worked in the warehouse of a manufacturing facility for a couple years to help pay for college.

My first choice is always shenanigans. Just like the time Robert drove over Louie's foot with a towmotor in front of about five of us (two of the witnesses were management).
Robert quickly became unemployed, and Louie drug out his recovery forever while lobbying for a never-realized Disability claim--he later quit.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:

Robots have to be able to protect themselves from large Omnivores, hence they are armed with bear spray. Wink

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
AI Language

And interestingly, they don't seem to see a problem with that.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
On the radio I heard of a warehouse in China which shipped 200,000 parcels per day but only had 4 humans as staff. Where will the humans be employed at ?

Posts: 17926 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
They'll be mopping up the spilled bear spray. Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13534 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post