SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The older I get the less I like to listen to authority
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The older I get the less I like to listen to authority Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
VERY close to 40 now, worked an average of 70 hours a week since 20 years old. I work hard but when I’m ready to go home I’m headed home. Always been that way. Funny how when you work hard nobody questions when you leave.

I find myself ignoring authority more and more lately. Not in a disrespectful way, maybe I’ve learned a little tact, maybe I just keep my mouth out of the equation the older I get but I find myself simply saying, “No, we’re not doing it that way”.

Those of you that know I’m active duty, please understand, I love my chain of command and support them 100%. Never would I ignore them, I respect them and if I ever disagree if approach the situation as I should.

But my day job (OPS), working with a bunch of civilians…I’m more and more just doing what I think is right and ignoring the rest of it.

I don’t know why it’s weighing on my mind recently, I don’t think I’m wrong or unjustified, maybe I’m just now realizing that’s what is best.

ETA: I guess I really don’t have a good talking point, or a question. Maybe I’m just venting. Thanks for listening fellas.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6319 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Wait until you reach 50. In the great words of my mom: "It's liberating!" Big Grin

And she's right. There's no disrespect intended; it's just that by that point, you tend to filter out the BS more readily.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I found I thought the same way as I grew older in the service. Probably didn’t help that I left AD after 10 years and stayed in the reserves. Becoming a cop and having to make my own decisions in a split second didn’t add to my being able to sit back quietly while serving in the reserves.

But I was a Chief and the rules say 1. The Chief is always right.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I found I thought the same way as I grew older in the service. Probably didn’t help that I left AD after 10 years and stayed in the reserves. Becoming a cop and having to make my own decisions in a split second didn’t add to my being able to sit back quietly while serving in the reserves.

But I was a Chief and the rules say 1. The Chief is always right.

Mike, I always respect my more Senior Enlisted and Officers. I've never had a bad relationship except one, and that one was hated by everyone. This isn't disliking orders, I feel it's more not having time for the BS, like Dan mentioned above.

As stated, this is very much a civilian problem and nothing to do with my military interactions.

Posts: 6319 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I worked 70 hours a week no one would want to even be around me.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Authority used to suggest more experience and knowledge. It’s become now more synonymous with tyranny. I can be supervised, managed or led. But I’m averse to being controlled by authority.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12724 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I think what you are describing is pretty normal in the military environment.

Each time I changed roles by going to a new command there was a progression over time that, as I got more competent in the job, i cared less and less about what people who didn’t know as much about the job had to say. In the military you will get cut more slack while ignoring people when you are "The" guy.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
The older I get, the less of a deterrent a life sentence is. I'm in year four of working for myself, fewer hours and more money than ever before. The length of my hair is inversely proportional to the number of fooks I have left to give. Haven't had a real haircut in six yrs.

Posts: 3540 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
The older I get, the less of a deterrent a life sentence is. I'm in year four of working for myself, fewer hours and more money than ever before. The length of my hair is inversely proportional to the number of fooks I have left to give. Haven't had a real haircut in six yrs.

Rick,

I am bald and impervious to the musings of those who have read the recent funny memes thread. What are you offering to substantiate your place amongst those who don't need to give a shit is what I am after.

Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Nothing really. I just don't have to answer to anyone, can take off whenever I want, don't really look at prices anymore except for on big stuff I don't need and, well, life is too short to worry about BS.

Posts: 3540 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
It's even worse when authority reveals itself to be corrupt.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29704 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn, I think you guys need another engagement survey. Lol, going to be 60 soon and have felt like Otto for about the last 15 years or so. At this point in time, with the kids out on their own and most of the retirement still funded, I know at any moment that straw that broke the camel’s back will come along and someone’s getting the full treatment of my disregard.
That’s actually a nice place to be and may just get me across the finish line.
Hang in there guys.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
All my life I have questioned Authority... lately I've understood to respect Authority but still always question it.

Once got the look from a parent when I inadvertently told their son: "Don't believe everything they tell you." This was after making the statement that I had been eating raw beef for over 50 years.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
What is this Authority you speak of?? 65 and piss off Wink

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Flash worked for the county and was developing an attitude much like the OP.

I told her than when she went over 20 years and was fully vested in her retirement account, management would get off her back and life would be good.

They did. They know who to mess with and who not to mess with.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
OttoSig, I have spent my life resenting authority.

I would suggest that you read a couple of books that I have found as a grey beard to solidify my views on the subject. the first is Rose Wilder Lane's The Discovery of Freedom: Man's Struggle Against Authority. You can download it for free from the Mises Institute

https://mises.org/library/discovery-freedom

The other is a collection of writings by Ayn Rand, https://www.amazon.com/The-Vir...oks%2C108&sr=1-1]The Virtue of Selfishness

RWL is considered to be one of the founders of modern libertarian thinking. She is the daughter of Laura Ingles Wilder. Lane was intrigued with the idea of communism and moved to Russia following the revolution. It did not take her long to discern that it sucked.

Of course, Rand should need no introduction.

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I'm with you OP, I will note that the tendency will increase as you age.

I think the reason is because the more you see of Authority, the more often you realize that those in authority are no more capable, competent, or knowledgeable than those they seek to control. Add wise and honest to that list, and you can see how respect might erode over time.

And on an unrelated note, it is great to see a post from AppBrad in this thread, seems like forever.

Posts: 6480 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I'm right there with you Otto. In fact, I hold resentment for those who blindly do what they are told.

Posts: 5145 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Otto

you be a youngin' at 40

wait until you hit your mid 60's and then you will really start to abhor 'authority' - especially political 'authority' - my usual answer is rope will solve just about every problem - as you can tell I have ZERO, absolutely ZERO respect for politicians

Posts: 53191 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post